Pizza Ghena

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
When I make pizza, I do it from scratch. Freshman year in university in the dorms there was only one stove in the lounge. For a dorm party I made about 2 dozen in that lousy POS. I forgot how hard I worked doing that.
Care to share with us the recipe? Is it easier than what my grandfather wrote out? I don't know, but dealing with yeast and mixing and waiting seems a little too complicated.

Gavy

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Care to share with us the recipe? Is it easier than what my grandfather wrote out? I don't know, but dealing with yeast and mixing and waiting seems a little too complicated.

Gavy
Take pound of flour and make a mountain out of it on your kneeding surface and heat up the oven very low. Make a crater in the mountain so it looks like a volcano. Take a large glass (16 or 14 oz) and fill it about 80% with body temperature water. Add a pinch of salt and a packet of dry yeast and mix it. Let it sit till it starts to bubble. Pour a bit of olive oil in the crater and then add the yeast/water till it fill 1/2 to 2/3 of the crater. In a circular motion stir it with your fingers (you may want to coat them with a little olive oil), "grabbing" flour from the walls of the crater as you do it. After a bit, it will start to firm up. BEFORE it becomes a ball, add some more of the yeast mixture (and a bit more olive oil if it needs it) and repeat until you've used up all of the yeast mixture and all the flour. Kneed the dough until it's a smooth consistency and a bit elastic (if you've seen good pizza dough, you'll know when it's time). Oil the surface of the dough and place it in a large pot/dutch oven/etc. and cover it with a piece of paper towel and place in the oven for around 2 hours until the dough rises to pretty much fill the pot. Take it out and punch it down, but not too much, oil it again and place it back in the oven for another hour. Take it out and if it needs to be punched down again do it, and if it does put if back in the oven for 15 minutes afterward, and if it doesn't, roll it out to make your pizza, or better yet, put it in the center of a cookie sheet with high walls (1 1/2 or so) and hand "roll" it out (i.e. no rolling pin, just yor fingers) till it's even and touching all 4 walls. Pinch down a ridge about 3/4 inch from the edges, cover it with olive oil, and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, take it out, put on your sauce and back in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes. Take it out and put on your toppings and cook till toppings are done (note: it's more important to test the baking than to watch the clock).

Sorry if this is a little sloppy, but I don't follow recipies so this is all from going thru what I do in my mind.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I made one on Saturday night. I am trying to perfect it. I might have to start making them smaller. Those loaves are huge. Don't know about bringing any out to any future events, though. This is best eaten within a day or two.

Gavy

Seeker:
See my post above (#3). I will check the place out this weekend and let you guys know if they will be making them around Easter.
I am leaving for Vages on good friday (which is usually when I make mine) so I won't be making any this year.

Last edited:
Pizza dough, pizza ghen

Hey Slinky, that's just the way I made it for years, following what Grandma taught me. She didn't measure anything. Lately though, I've made the dough in a food processor, works great, and is less sloppy. Always use a cookie sheet too, making Sicilian-type pie. Like watching the pizza guy spinning it in the air, wondering how to do that, but never tried. I think I heard it was a different type of dough.
My Mom makes the pizza ghen using Grandma's recipe, it has all that and hunks of prosciutto, pepperoni, and is baked in more of a souffle or Corning Ware.