Pizza Ghena

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
This pizza loaf thing you all speak of sounds delicious. I would love to attempt a similar creation, but I'm so freakin' white and American that I shudder to think what it would end up looking/tasting like.

Do you have to actually make the dough and knead it and everything? That sounds like tons of labor intensive baking. How do you get the filling to stay in there? I'm confused.

You guys want the "recipe" that my beloved Grandfather typed out for us before he died? I'd love to write it out for you guys. Let me know.

How do you get the filling to stay in? After dicing the sausage, salami, eggs and mozzerally and mixing them (with one raw egg to bind it together) you take your pizza dough and roll it out (you have to put flour on the counter-top and on the rolling pin). Once the dough is the size of a smal pizza pie, put your meat/cheese/egg mixture on one half of the dough, fold over the other half and put it in the oven.

If you guys want the recipe, I'll definitely oblige.

Gavy

Gavy

You guys want the "recipe" that my beloved Grandfather typed out for us before he died? I'd love to write it out for you guys. Let me know.

How do you get the filling to stay in? After dicing the sausage, salami, eggs and mozzerally and mixing them (with one raw egg to bind it together) you take your pizza dough and roll it out (you have to put flour on the counter-top and on the rolling pin). Once the dough is the size of a smal pizza pie, put your meat/cheese/egg mixture on one half of the dough, fold over the other half and put it in the oven.

If you guys want the recipe, I'll definitely oblige.

Gavy

Gavy
As Moderator, I IMPLORE you to publish the recipe.

Pretty please?

How does this compare to Easter Bread?

Slink, I think the Easter Bread you are referring to is also called Sweet Bread. We also have it during Easter. Its good but this PizzaGana is the best. The filling really makes it delicious. We'll bring some out next time.

Stripclubs and Pizza Ghen...... a perfect combination!!!

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
The "Pizza Geina" recipe handed down from my maternal grandfather...

[size=+1]PIZZA - FILLED W/ MEAT & MOZZARELLA[/size]

MEAT FILLING
  • 1 Pkg Italian sausage (8 links) ~ Ed. note: I use "sweet" Italian
  • 8 oz package of mozzarella
  • 1/4 pound (or less) chunk of salami diced in 1/4" pieces
  • 4 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 raw egg-beaten and put in mixture to bind

DOUGH
  • 4 cups of unsifted flour
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 package of yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoon of loose yeast
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon of suger
  • Water, about the temperature of a baby's bottle of milk

~ Ed. note: go to the pizzeria and buy pizza dough which is enough for one loaf.

1. Make the dough by combining the flour and salt and add the butter by working it into the flour.

2. Add the yeast mixture which has been "proofed" in less than a 1/4 of a cup of water. Then add enough water (about 1 1/2 cups) gradually to the flour and yeast mixture. When it is well mixed, roll on a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny. Then place it in a lightly greased bowl and cover it with waxed paper or plastic wrap and a towel. Place in a warm area.

When the dough is double the original size, it is ready to roll into a thin sheet. Use your own descretion as to how much dough you roll out. This dough should give you enough for on large pizza or two small one.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 400 degrees.

ENJOY!!

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Broken down for the layman...

MEAT FILLING
  • 1 Pkg Italian sausage (8 links) ~ Ed. note: I use "sweet" Italian
  • 8 oz package of mozzarella
  • 1/4 pound (or less) chunk of salami diced in 1/4" pieces
  • 4 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 raw egg-beaten and put in mixture to bind

DOUGH

buy it from the local pizzeria

OK, first you cook the sweet Italian sausages for about an hour. If you are making more than 8 sausages, increase time in oven 10-12 minutes. Turn sausages over after 30 minutes.

Boil 4 eggs.

Once the sausages are done and the eggs boiled, you need to chop them up, dice them. Think small pieces. I slice the sausage four times length wise, then cut those 4 strips into small pieces. Dice the 1/4 pound of Genoa salami (is that the less harsh of the two salamis?). Chop up the four eggs. Place all the ingredients into a bowl and add the shredded mozzarella. Crack an egg, beat it and add it to the filling mix. Mix it together.

Place flour on your very clean counter top. Put flour on your rolling pin. Take the pizza dough (that you bought) on the counter and roll it out to the size of a medium pizza pie. Take the meat/cheese/egg mixture and scoop it on to half of the dough. Fold over the other half and cover the filling.

Grease a cookie sheet (there is a PAM with flour added that I use to grease the cookie sheet). Place your loaf onto the cookie sheet. OK, I am a baking novice here, so after I roll out the dough, I place half of it on the cookie sheet and half of it off the cookie sheet. I then add the filling onto the side that is on the cookie sheet and fold over the dough. Manuevering from counter top to cookie sheet looks very dangerous to me.

OK, now the loaf is on the cookie sheet. Two more things for show.

1. Around the edge of the loaf, where the ends meet, take a fork and press down. It makes a little design.

2. Take a beaten egg and glaze the top of the loaf. This adds a nice, shiny look to your load once it is out of the oven.

Place the loaf in a preheated over at 400. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Eat and enjoy! Looking forward to reading your reviews and seeing other recipes...

Gavy

gavy

Use parchment paper under the pizza dough, makes handling it easier. Leave it under the dough for about 5 minutes while it bakes in the oven, this allows the dough to firm up a bit so you can pull it out without breaking the pizza. Sorry its 5 minutes if you use a pizza stone, might take more time in a regular over at 400, but it works real well.