Pizza Ghena

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Now that the holiday season is upon us, bunyon and I have had discussions about food and family traditions. Last Easter, I visited bunyon's mom's house and I was surprised that they had "pizza ghen". My grandmother learned this from her mother in law and it is part of our Easter tradition as well.

For the past two weeks, bunyon and I have been obsessing about this great Easter bread. Our families make it almost exactly alike. A bread with a delicious filling of mozzarella cheese, sausage, hard salami and perhaps ham or riccotta cheese.

Now I have asked other people of Italian heritage about this food and they never heard of "pizza ghen" (or as I had been calling it all my life until bunyon corrected me ~ "pizza cain"). Most people call it "pizza rustica". But, they recipe is similar or almost exact.

So, now the interesting thing: both bunyon and I asked our respective families to make "pizza ghen" for Christmas. We were both rejected with similar lines like: "Oh, no, that's only for Easter..." Funny, right? People were almost aghast that we asked them to make it now. I then asked some of the Italian ladies/girls at work if they'd make me a loaf and got the same reaction...only at Easter. Some traditions make you laugh.

Well, I am now determined to make some this weekend. I got the recipe from Grandma and am going to dedicate Sunday to...baking.

Gavy

Gav- I think I know what your talking about. There's a place on Jamaica Ave in Ozone Park that makes it. Its an Italian bakery, pretty famous. Its off Woodhaven I believe. You could also try Arthur Ave Market and all the way in the back at Greco's ask for Mike. This guy knows everything and they make something very similar with like 6 different varieties.

There is a little place in the Franklin Shop Rite Center (Sussex County) I think it's calles Savioli that has it now.
Before I read this, I bought some and had it for lunch.
My Mom's was the best.

My family with roots from Southern Italy has always called Easter Pie
"Pizza Giena". Never heard it called Pizza Ghen. Anyway, it's great and my family makes it all year around including CHRISTMAS.

I agree guys, whatever you call this stuff--Pizza Ghen, Pizzagiena, as my grandmother called it "bizzagane", Pizzarustica-- its the fucking best. Thanks for the headsup on where to find it. I'm pleasantly surprised that you can find it this time of year, as gavy said its known as more of an Easter bread or pie.
BTW, hope your baking on Sunday works out well while I'm watching football.....hahahaha.......seriously though, looking forward to trying it!

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I think I am just going to wait for NJman69's invite over for Christmas Eve. Looks like his mom has got the goods on the "pizza giena"!

Gavy

gavycrav:
After seeing this thread, I went back and bought more for Sunday. I thought you might come up and buy it all out.From all the stories my family told me, and I'm 59, you guys are right on. It was only made around Easter, came from southern Italy and costs a lot if made with all the good stuff.
Did any of your folks make the calzones with potatoes & onions, with spinach and raisons? The dough was a sweet dough with fennel in it. What I would give to see my Aunts & Mom sitting around the table making about 100 of these things to deliver to all family.
Enjoy

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Three HUGE "loaves?" of pizza giena have been made. I tink they look a little big. I will cut back on the sausage next time. Haven't tried them yet. It seems such a shame to cut into my "work".

The apartment smells nice, though. I'll give bunyon his loaf when I see him at "Les Amis" later on tonight.

Gavy

Wow, Grandma talk on UG

I remember "Easter Pie" from my Italian Grandma. Thank God my non-Italian mother tried to copy her "little of this, little of that" recipe while she was still alive. So I still get it every Easter.
But since we're on such an off the wall topic, did anyone else's Italian Grandma make what I can only mis-spell as Munest... a greens soup with ham and pepperoni?
What I also enjoyed was something that everyone in my family called (also VERY misspelled) Moolenion. A spread made with eggplant. That name was way before any of us knew it had another negative slang interpretation! We all ran about shouting it as much as "pasta or meatballs or something".
It's a shame that, and I've heard it said time and again, you don't appreciate what you have till it's gone.
Just my 2 cents.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Great 2 cents, badboy. Mr. and Mrs. Bunyon stopped by today and sampled the "pizza geina" today. I'll let him review it.

As for the soup and spread, I think that's for the harder core Italianos. My grandmother is Albanian and she learned it from her Neopolitan mother-in-law.

Yeah, we love grandma here on UG!

Gavy

The Gavycrav can cook!

Had Gavy Batali's pizzagiena and it was surprisingly good!!!
Now I'm not saying it was as good as mom's but she's been making it for 40 years or so. But Gavy really has potential!
The loaf he gave me was the size of a small child so I'll be eating his pizzagiena into 2007.

Kudos Gavy and Thanks a lot!....I know I goof on you a lot here but I was pleasantly surprised.