Pizza Ghena

Gotta ask...

Not related but...
it seems in this and a few other threads a lot of you guys all know each other personally. How does this happen? The only thing I can think of is you knew each other before joining this club. I know we are not allowed to exchange
e-addresses and such. But sometimes when i'm sitting at a bar I wonder if the guy sitting nest to me is one of the UG "Stars" or something.
I've often thought we should all get hats from the University of Georgia (UG on the front) if it exists, or come up with a "Hi-Sign" like the Little Rascals He-Man Woman Haters Club!

Not necessarily ...

Not related but...
it seems in this and a few other threads a lot of you guys all know each other personally. How does this happen? The only thing I can think of is you knew each other before joining this club.
My first two years in this "hobby" I had never met another hobbyist. Then, 'bout a year and a half ago, I met a few other guys at a party. Since then, I have met many, in one way or another ... it just seems to snowball (NO pun intended).

Not related but...
it seems in this and a few other threads a lot of you guys all know each other personally. How does this happen? The only thing I can think of is you knew each other before joining this club. I know we are not allowed to exchange
e-addresses and such. But sometimes when i'm sitting at a bar I wonder if the guy sitting nest to me is one of the UG "Stars" or something.
I've often thought we should all get hats from the University of Georgia (UG on the front) if it exists, or come up with a "Hi-Sign" like the Little Rascals He-Man Woman Haters Club!
In the case of me and the Pizzagiena chef, we were on the Latina Ficha Bar thread alot because we both frequent those places. We became friendly on the board and met over a year ago at one of those bars in Astoria (Otro Rollo) that we spoke of on LFB and he mentioned that he frequented at the time. It wasn't difficult to spot him there because we were basically the only white guys in the place (along with another sometime poster here Larry1718). But hey, we love Latinas and became fast friends! And as Hyabby said, it just kind of snowballed from there and I wound up meeting several other UG members and we still keep in touch and have gone out on occasion. All cool guys.

gavycrav:
After seeing this thread, I went back and bought more for Sunday. I thought you might come up and buy it all out.From all the stories my family told me, and I'm 59, you guys are right on. It was only made around Easter, came from southern Italy and costs a lot if made with all the good stuff.
Did any of your folks make the calzones with potatoes & onions, with spinach and raisons? The dough was a sweet dough with fennel in it. What I would give to see my Aunts & Mom sitting around the table making about 100 of these things to deliver to all family.
Enjoy
Thanks ciscook for the heads up on the pizzagiena. I know where that shopping center is ad next time I'm in Sussex county I'm going to stop there and see if they have it. Then again Gavy gave me so much pizzagiena that I'll probably have enough until Easter lol.
I've been fortunate enough to have had similar homemade calzones to the ones you describe. Delicioso!!! All I can say is that I'm craving it now at 6 AM!!!!
And you're right, some of my fondest Holiday memories are of my mom, Grandma, Aunts, around the kitchen table baking all kinds of delicious Christmas/Easter cakes, cookies, breads etc!!

paulbunyon:
If you get up there and want to get together for a drink let me know. I only live 10 minutes from there.
Yeah with Italians, most memories somehow revolve around family & food.
Enjoy whats left of the holidays.
Ciscook

paulbunyon:
If you get up there and want to get together for a drink let me know. I only live 10 minutes from there.
Yeah with Italians, most memories somehow revolve around family & food.
Enjoy whats left of the holidays.
Ciscook
You got it my man!
And you are so right, with Italians, food is so intertwined with great family memories. But with how much my family obsesses over food its a wonder I'm not 300 pounds! (Shut-up Gavy lol).

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
And you are only half Italian. Speaking about food, my mom made a great lasagna on Christmas...problem being I couldn't eat it because I had to watch the baby. She wanted to play.

Going over there right now to see if some is left.

OK...I lost about 15 pounds three weeks ago after a serious gastro-intestinal virus. I didn't eat, only drank Gatorade for 4 or 5 days! Now, after the last 10 days or so of eating, I gained everything back. Ugh...

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
One in the oven...

...right now. Yeah, I am definitely feeling depressed. This dry spell, though relatively young, is taking it's toll on me.

That being said, why not spice things up a bit with a little pizza geina? I just made some and threw it in the oven 10 minutes ago. Perhaps it'll change my luck.

I bought the "hard salami" instead of Genoa. I think that was a mistake, so I scaled back on the salami, added an extra hardboiled egg and only included 6 sausages instead of 8.

I'll let you guys know tomorrow.

Gavy

This pizza loaf thing you all speak of sounds delicious. I would love to attempt a similar creation, but I'm so freakin' white and American that I shudder to think what it would end up looking/tasting like.

Do you have to actually make the dough and knead it and everything? That sounds like tons of labor intensive baking. How do you get the filling to stay in there? I'm confused.

This pizza loaf thing you all speak of sounds delicious. I would love to attempt a similar creation, but I'm so freakin' white and American that I shudder to think what it would end up looking/tasting like.

Do you have to actually make the dough and knead it and everything? That sounds like tons of labor intensive baking. How do you get the filling to stay in there? I'm confused.

Masqerade--
To save time just buy some dough at a pizzaria. And the delicious filling stays in because you bake the dough around it. The filling goes inside the dough/bread. This stuff really is good. I'm glad Easter is coming up.