Higher mileage during Lap dances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Thorn
Its a LAW firm.
listen don't think for a second i think this guy is a summer associate at a top firm. but, assuming arguendo, there are associates with the requisite intellectual capital who think the partners are "cool guys" and wouldn't mind them wasting company time on pmbs, i will (for one of the few times in my life) feel badly for partners at big firms.

Originally posted by pjorourke
I with hombre on this one. I think that good software should be written in such a maner that its use is intuitively obvious without consulting any manual. I don't use software that doesn't meet this criteria.
So, um, why can I read this? :)

The fact of the matter is that less then 5% [an estimate, but one I am willing to stand by] of all software written for the IBM clone format is in any way intuitive to the computer neophyte. This would include the basic interface of ALL OS's for the platform.

So, the fact that I can see that you have posted here means you have climbed and come down the other side of some learning curve that happened long enough ago that you are no longer aware of it. Thus you now consider what you are doing "intuitive" rather then "learned".

Originally posted by pjorourke
I with hombre on this one. I think that good software should be written in such a maner that its use is intuitively obvious without consulting any manual. I don't use software that doesn't meet this criteria.
you call tech support a lot, dontcha? :D

nb - the software with the HIGHEST learning curve I ever had the displeasure of coming across is undoubtedly Photoshop.

Originally posted by jseah
you call tech support a lot, dontcha? :D
one of the reasons i like manuals (it sort of goes along with going to the law library, nice synth huh?) is that i hate bothering those poor tech support guys with idiotic questions. i can only cringe for them when my mother says SHE had to call tech support. there can't be crueler tortures.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by h. von bingen
but either 1) you can intuit alot more information than i can or 2) it limits the sophistication of the software.
probably a touch of 1) (after all, I've been using these things for 30 years). But I don't think that 2) is necessarily true. Something like Excel can be very sophisticated but the syntax is very straight forward.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by Thorn
So, the fact that I can see that you have posted here means you have climbed and come down the other side of some learning curve that happened long enough ago that you are no longer aware of it. Thus you now consider what you are doing "intuitive" rather then "learned".
That could very well be the answer. I just have no patience for reading manuals, particularly if it is something that I don't use every day.

Originally posted by h. von bingen
listen don't think for a second i think this guy is a summer associate at a top firm. but, assuming arguendo, there are associates with the requisite intellectual capital who think the partners are "cool guys" and wouldn't mind them wasting company time on pmbs, i will (for one of the few times in my life) feel badly for partners at big firms.

my guess is think boutique

Originally posted by slinkybender
I think one huge potential problem with the next generation of lawyers is going to be in research methods. Since everyone is only doing computer searches, and law libraries have become like elephant graveyards, the "art" of leafing through law books is rapidly disappearing. The reason why I think this will be a problem is that computer searches are funny things: you have to look for key words and phrases, rather than concepts. i think that many lawyers are going to totally overlook cases whic are indded right on point because they don't contain the poper search key words, I think that under the "old methodology" and awful lot of "eurika" went on when someone stumbled over the "magic bullet" decision from a case which seemed to be unrealated from teh fact pattern, but in reality the legal concepts were spot on.

OTOH, the memo or brief your lawyer is responding or replying to is also written by a lawyer who has probably only done computer research and so has missed his own number of cases.

It's also more enjoyable to yell Eureka in a law library than at your computer.

I do agree though that it does hurt those who have never had to do manual research which I think took more thought than the computer does. I like to combine a bit of both.

Though shepardizing and cite checking does kick ass on the computer.

Maybe little lawyer will be lucky and find out I'm his boss.

Actually, if that happened his ass would be out of here so fast his head would spin. Just what I want - an associate having something over my head.

Oh well, one more computer to check when everyone goes home tonight.

Originally posted by SkellyChamp
1. OTOH, the memo or brief your lawyer is responding or replying to is also written by a lawyer who has probably only done computer research and so has missed his own number of cases.

2. It's also more enjoyable to yell Eureka in a law library than at your computer.

3. I like to combine a bit of both.

4. Though shepardizing and cite checking does kick ass on the computer.
1. i would never make that assumption.
2. yes. while standing with the reporter open in front of me finger upraised like plato in raphael's "the school of athens."
3. it's the only way to go.
4. embarrassing confession: i have forgotten how to do it otherwise.

Originally posted by SkellyChamp
Though shepardizing and cite checking does kick ass on the computer.
Bingo.

Keeping up with the journals and just being around and conversing with other attorneys in my practice area seem to be the most helpful tools. I don't miss the library one bit.

Originally posted by sod
Bingo.

Keeping up with the journals and just being around and conversing with other attorneys in my practice area seem to be the most helpful tools. I don't miss the library one bit.
but you're corporate right? i don't even consider that a real lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.