Fios Vs. Optimum

Yes, but why do that? I sure the landlord is factoring in the optimum cost in your rent and g-mail is free.
Couple points:
1. Because if he is like me my email address that I had with Verizon for years is known by many friends, and important people/vendors, e.g., doctors, PSEG, social security, e-z- pass, IRS, etc. and it was worth $15 not to have to notify all of them or change my address and hope I didn't leave one out. I check this account at least daily and get very little (like 1 per month) junk cluttering up my inbox.

2. Gmail is free for now.

3. I have a separate myname@Hotmail for my, ahem, special accounts such as UG and similar. I have another myname@aol.com that I use for BS stuff such as reward cards with stores, magazines, etc. where I don't care if I get spammed or sent a lot of junk from them. These accounts I check infrequently.

Don't know is this will help you. When Verizon was trying the almost double my monthly rate after my 2 year contract expired I bought my email address from them, i.e., myname@verizon.net. Cost was nominal and onetime, pretty sure $15. I set it up on my various computers and iphone, no problem for years now. So now it doesn't matter who I use as provider.

My suggestion is to give optimum a call and ask how you can do the same, perhaps before you get the apartment.
Wow didn't know that could be done. Thanks!

Way back when Started this thread o was on the verge switching to Fios from Optimum— After a long drawn out issue I was having with Verizon wireless, I decided I wanted nothing ever!! To do with Verizon any longer—
I contacted Optimum, threaten to cancel, provided a fictitious installation ticket number for Verizon and my new Optimum bill went down 25% monthly..
I’ll revisit in a year...

I have to think both companies will do what they can to retain all customers, considering the non- cable choices available

Would I be able to do this: close to renting an apartment where cable is included( optimum). Could I just cancel my TV( since I will be getting cable from landlord). And just keep optimum online to keep my email address same? I have too many things linked to that email and would like to keep it. If I cancel TV and keep internet I should be able to right?

Also I have a jailbroken fire stick which I never used...if I cancel TV from optimum and use firesrick will they find out about it? So many things in the airwaves today could they see a " signal" that I have firesticj instead if using their service for tv?

Would I be able to do this: close to renting an apartment where cable is included( optimum). Could I just cancel my TV( since I will be getting cable from landlord). And just keep optimum online to keep my email address same? I have too many things linked to that email and would like to keep it. If I cancel TV and keep internet I should be able to right?
Again, sounds like a lot of questions to ask optimum employees

Also I have a jailbroken fire stick which I never used...if I cancel TV from optimum and use firesrick will they find out about it? So many things in the airwaves today could they see a " signal" that I have firesticj instead if using their service for tv?
You should install a VPN on your jailbroken fire stick. You'll need a paid version

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
For Spectrum in Manhattan I just called to cancel (another unexplained $20 price increase this month) and after being on hold for 30 minutes for "retention" department they tried to sell me cell service (oh, yeah, I really want them to have control of more of my life) their final offer was a minor upgrade (faster internet service and one more premium chanel) but no price break whatsoever. I told them to cancel my service as of December 4th. Any chance they will call back before then with a real offer?

Have no idea what that is lol...how do I get on
You'll need to get something like NordVPN and then figure out how to add it to your jail broke fire stick. Lots of info on how to do it but it's a bit complicated if you're not a technophile. I did it with a Kodi on a raspberry pi device. Rather convoluted process but I followed the instructions.
In some routers you can add a VPN directly but not usually stock supplied provider routers I don't think.

For Spectrum in Manhattan I just called to cancel (another unexplained $20 price increase this month) and after being on hold for 30 minutes for "retention" department they tried to sell me cell service (oh, yeah, I really want them to have control of more of my life) their final offer was a minor upgrade (faster internet service and one more premium chanel) but no price break whatsoever. I told them to cancel my service as of December 4th. Any chance they will call back before then with a real offer?
I am thinking no phone call, but eventually you will be inundated with “new customer solicitations”

Sirius Radio plays the same game.. Exorbitant renewal costs— cancel service for a few months- sign on as a new customer for significantly less

the VPN is always recommended. I just have optimum internet and have the fire stick subscribe to one of those iptv I pay 15 a month for iptv I get a bunch of channels it’s not perfect but mostly all the times at 95% effective to watch tv . Have being doing this for 6 months now no problems so far . Look at you tube videos on iptv subscriptions for the fire stick if you not to familiar with the fire stick how to set up those apps get someone to help you . Could be easy for some to set but I understand some others need help . Cheers . Stay safe

the VPN is always recommended. I just have optimum internet and have the fire stick subscribe to one of those iptv I pay 15 a month for iptv I get a bunch of channels it’s not perfect but mostly all the times at 95% effective to watch tv . Have being doing this for 6 months now no problems so far . Look at you tube videos on iptv subscriptions for the fire stick if you not to familiar with the fire stick how to set up those apps get someone to help you . Could be easy for some to set but I understand some others need help . Cheers . Stay safe
plus i am paying 89.99 for internet ...with an additional 10 for optimum 20. Do they have cheaper internet plans.Because I want to do the same thing you did firestick and optimum internet

plus i am paying 89.99 for internet ...with an additional 10 for optimum 20. Do they have cheaper internet plans.Because I want to do the same thing you did firestick and optimum internet
the cheapest they have right now it’s 39.99 for 300 speed I think but remember it’s not 39.99 you gonna get charged 10 for the router modem monthly plus tax like 3-4$ so we talking like 50-55$ monthly . I don’t know if that promo is still available but that’s the one I have . With Verizon the cheapest is like 70 something. Yea I know Verizon it’s better optimum work but has its flaws once in a while the box resets on its own . But regardless it gets the job done . I always try to do it the most budget friendly way . I try to save money

the cheapest they have right now it’s 39.99 for 300 speed I think but remember it’s not 39.99 you gonna get charged 10 for the router modem monthly plus tax like 3-4$ so we talking like 50-55$ monthly . I don’t know if that promo is still available but that’s the one I have . With Verizon the cheapest is like 70 something. Yea I know Verizon it’s better optimum work but has its flaws once in a while the box resets on its own . But regardless it gets the job done . I always try to do it the most budget friendly way . I try to save money
I meant to say optimum 200 I'd what I have ...my bill says optimum online 89.99 and optimum 200 for an additional 10...I don't even remember saying I wanted the 20o for an extra 10 bucks.Is there a bug difference in internet service from the 39.99 and the 89.99 options? I guess I gotta try calling them.

I am thinking no phone call, but eventually you will be inundated with “new customer solicitations”

Sirius Radio plays the same game.. Exorbitant renewal costs— cancel service for a few months- sign on as a new customer for significantly less
Couple months ago my sirus went from around $7 (came with new car for 6 month free then for a year at aound $7/mo. After the year was over raised it to $20/mo. I called and said I have to cancel, as although the service is nice, and I'm sure is worth it to someone who spends a lot of time driving, it simply isn't worth that to me. Guy came back with $12/mo. I said no. Guy said best offer is $8/mo. So now its $8/mo until they come with another increase and I start over.

Did the same with ND when the went from $32 to $43 or so. I didn't budge on my cancellation (I really didn't care all that much as the paper is a mere shadow of itself - remarkable even compared to just a year ago) and the guy finally said "How about $20 every 8 weeks for 7 day service?" Done.

BTW, my WSJ, Barrons and NYT were cancelled couple of years ago. Before they were cancelled/expired I upped my tipping (monthly, in cash along with a nice short note of appreciation) to the carrier gal (there are some things you should not be cheap on - especially the person who has to get their ass outa bed a 3am and drive in rain , snow , sleet, windstorms, etc., to deliver my papers high and dry on my porch within arms length reach to the front door. And ,"son of a bitch", all those papers are still being delivered with ND the only one I'm paying for.

Note: prices I listed are approximate as actually forgot exact ones - but my credit card notifies me when there is any change up in a recurring charge. This is a very useful feature that my credit cards offer (I assume most do) - good to have and doesn't cost you anything.