Fios Vs. Optimum

Identical channels
I was complimentary upgraded to 400 mbs from 200
Yup, and you will get "up to" 400, (or 200, or 100, or 50) providing no one in your neighborhood who is connected to Optimum, happens to be online at the time — like maybe at 3am. Otherwise regardless of the "up to" speed they say you have, your service slows to a crawl — that is when, of course, the service isn't lost completely several times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time plus the time your modem takes to resync.

Yup, and you will get "up to" 400, (or 200, or 100, or 50) providing no one in your neighborhood who is connected to Optimum, happens to be online at the time — like maybe at 3am. Otherwise regardless of the "up to" speed they say you have, your service slows to a crawl — that is when, of course, the service isn't lost completely several times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time plus the time your modem takes to resync.
Oh?
Been fortunate with respect to outages.. few, if any .. to be continued......

Oh?
Been fortunate with respect to outages.. few, if any .. to be continued......
They happen (to me anyway) during business hours M-F, I guess as work at home people, students, use capacity. During pre-CORVID school days, wouldn't lose connection but speed dramatically throttled down around time high and middle school kids got home.

Following up here..
I had committed to Fios and planned to disconnect Optimum Called Optimum to disconnect, transferred around and finally spoke to a Supervisor.. Spoke English and did not read from a script ( a per peeve of mine)...
Reduced my bill from appx 210 to 155- very easily done - locked into for a year.. Restored some faith in humanity
That used to be my scam every year, or two years. Depending on the length they gave me the deal for. Then I found the at&t TV app, formerly DirecTV now app. I get more for A LOT less.

That used to be my scam every year, or two years. Depending on the length they gave me the deal for. Then I found the at&t TV app, formerly DirecTV now app. I get more for A LOT less.
Odd that you referred to you tactics as "used to be my scam every year". They are the ones doing the scamming not you.

I really can’t figure out how their marketing geniuses figure that pissing off customers every time a promotional rate ends is good business practice when said customers are constantly bombarded with much lower rates from competitors.

Do they really think that the customers are going to stand for an additional $1000/year added to their bill w/o talking to competitors?

Even worse, for the Cable companies, record numbers of customers have “cut the cord” in 2019. Try and find anyone under 35 who gets cable ( who doesn’t live with their parents and mooches on their cable anyway)

And what I have found just as frustrating...The respective companies ( not just cable/ISP) have made it virtually impossible to talk to a human being whose communication skills are efficient and not script driven. The customer service chat rooms ( when you get get into one) are just as frustrating...
I sometimes want to throw my hands up, but I will not let them beat me.. even if it is for a few $$. I’ll always give poor ratings if asked, unless the employee does an outstanding job... maybe maybe one day they will get the hint

Odd that you referred to you tactics as "used to be my scam every year". They are the ones doing the scamming not you.

I really can’t figure out how their marketing geniuses figure that pissing off customers every time a promotional rate ends is good business practice when said customers are constantly bombarded with much lower rates from competitors.

Do they really think that the customers are going to stand for an additional $1000/year added to their bill w/o talking to competitors?

Even worse, for the Cable companies, record numbers of customers have “cut the cord” in 2019. Try and find anyone under 35 who gets cable ( who doesn’t live with their parents and mooches on their cable anyway)
I think optimum's answer to cable cutting is to raise their internet access price. I have only internet through cable and they've raised my cost from $55 to $90 from 2016 to 2020.

I have an optimum question. I currently have optimum for cable and internet. Ok am currently looking for an apartment .If I find an apartment that includes cable in the rent do I just cancel optimum? But if I do what about my email address and stuff( thanks in advance!!

I got rid of cable in 2013. Netflix was enough. With adding showtime or HBO from time to time. Now past 1 yr Amazon n share Netflix with sibling.

I got rid of optimum in 2018. Fios is better and cheaper. Paying $50. A month. Used to be $40 it just went up. Fios is quick and optimum was $70 when I left. Ridiculous.

If you cancel your account they will eventually deactivate your e-mail. When I went from Cablevision to Fios my e-mail stayed active for a while but was eventually terminated. In your case I would get a g-mail acct and notify all my contacts and update the web sites of all financial institutions and businesses you deal with that have your old e-mail.

So if I get an apartment and pay my own cable, keep my service, can there be 2 optimum accounts at the same address? Landlords upstairs and mine downstairs? I get my mail at z pi box but the physical address will be same as landlord.

What about a jailbroken fire stick? Wouldn't I be able to just downgrade to the cheapest cable package ( basic cable) and internet . I would use the stick to watch everything on but still keep basic service.

So if I get an apartment and pay my own cable, keep my service, can there be 2 optimum accounts at the same address? Landlords upstairs and mine downstairs? I get my mail at z pi box but the physical address will be same as landlord.
Yes, but why do that? I sure the landlord is factoring in the optimum cost in your rent and g-mail is free.

I have an optimum question. I currently have optimum for cable and internet. Ok am currently looking for an apartment .If I find an apartment that includes cable in the rent do I just cancel optimum? But if I do what about my email address and stuff( thanks in advance!!
Don't know is this will help you. When Verizon was trying the almost double my monthly rate after my 2 year contract expired I bought my email address from them, i.e., myname@verizon.net. Cost was nominal and onetime, pretty sure $15. I set it up on my various computers and iphone, no problem for years now. So now it doesn't matter who I use as provider.

My suggestion is to give optimum a call and ask how you can do the same, perhaps before you get the apartment.