Fios Vs. Optimum

My friends had done this and they can't be any happier. The TV guide comes up QUICK. Unlike optimum, you hit the button and 30 seconds later, the menu pops up.

The only bad thing is that they only have specials for 2 years. Then the prices go up.

I'm going to goto FIOS as well. Just have somethings to take care of first

I have no complaints with cable and I have the tripe play. I had Direct TV for a while when cable refused to carry the Yankees. That really sucked.

The Dolans robbed NYC of a West Side sports & media complex. Not to mention a Super Bowl or two, an Olympics, tons of jobs, influx of money etc...

I'd say they took money out of lots of new yorkers pockets cause they were concerned they might have to share a few with a competing sports complex.

And I didn't even start to mention their business practices when it comes to fleecing their cable subscribers.

The Dolans robbed NYC of a West Side sports & media complex. Not to mention a Super Bowl or two, an Olympics, tons of jobs, influx of money etc...

I'd say they took money out of lots of new yorkers pockets cause they were concerned they might have to share a few with a competing sports complex.

And I didn't even start to mention their business practices when it comes to fleecing their cable subscribers.
Despite the Dolan's involvment, it was still Shelly Silver who chose not to act to support the westside sports complex. He deserves the blame as well as every schmuck in his district that voted for him.

Negatives on Fios

No MSG HD only standard definition and the interface for internet and TV doesnt work for Macs therefore I am not able to stream youtube videos on my 50" LCD. Other than that I love FIOS and have had all other options throughout the years. Rumor that I heard for no MSG HD is that Dolan is being a prick and not offering them to non-cable providers.

Despite the Dolan's involvment, it was still Shelly Silver who chose not to act to support the westside sports complex. He deserves the blame as well as every schmuck in his district that voted for him.
It was the Dolans who politic-ed against it and probably put some money in Silver's pockets. That's another corrupt cock sucker NY can't get rid of cause like the pope he apparently is appointed for life.

But simply... it was the Dolans who two or three decades ago showed all the communications companies how to fleece the public. All the nonsense charges and nickle and dime-ing services you get from Time Warner, Verizon, AT&T, Comcast etc.... were actually started by what was then known as Long Island Cablevision. And notice who is always is at a war with network TV and other various channels (the YES channel & FOX most recently) and constantly takes these channels off your TV, punishing you the paying subscriber. So how many Giants games and American Idol shows did you miss last year when the Dolans attempted to strong arm (more like extort) FOX into caving in and paying their price. These are tactics used by the Dolans than NO OTHER SERVICE ever uses or ever used before they showed them. How many full page newspaper ads and radio & TV commercials did Cablevison pay for and air in an attempt to shed FOX and YES in a negative light.

btw... the Dolans are such pricks and scumbags that the father and son don't even speak to each other going on a decade or more now.

And another thing about cable... Cable companies produce NOTHING. All they do is rebroadcast what you normally get for free and what networks pay the tabs for... pay writers, pay actors, pay camera men and all the people that go towards producing a broadcast plus all the residuals. Cable companies pay NOTHING but rental fees for using some line the govt or Ma-Bell paid for decades ago or simply running new lines on existing telephone poles installed someone else. Yet they charge networks for the right to carry their signal on those lines and then they charge you to view them. So they collect from both ends, produce nothing and pay zero towards the productions of broadcasts and along the way and they extort those networks using you as their weapon of choice.

I somewhat recall Obama saying something about regulating cable and communication companies and helping to eliminate the false fees and taxes attached to your cable and phone bills but since he's been elected I've not heard another word on that. If the big O wants to make CHANGE to something that effects all of us in every income bracket every day... this would be a good place to start.

Last edited:
... Yet they charge networks for the right to carry their signal on those lines and then they charge you to view them...
Partially in the words of Chuck Barkley... "I may be... I may be... I may be wrong..." but I think it is the cable providers who pay the networks "carriage fees" for the right to re-broadcast their original programming. Those are the costs which are then passed along to the subscriber.

This enables the cable company to then claim, right or wrong, it is the network providers who are "fleecing" the consumers.

You're right. I was thinking of the fees they charged all the smaller stations to air on their systems. But they deprived you of part the world series and some playoff games that Time Warner and other local cable providers didn't. They're trying to crush the networks fees much like a union. They strong armed YES and tried with FOX and played dirty politics with those fucked up ads they took out against both. And they did this in NY, the media market of the world. Douchebags.

ps... and forget about ever seeing a winner in the Garden so long as they control the Knicks and Rangers. Still keeping a pariah like Thomas around after his sexual harassment settlements and such just goes to show how fucking out of touch and arrogant they are.

Thinking of switching to Verizon FIOS from Optimum (Triple play)- Has anyone made the move?
Thoughts?

Thanks
I also do not have the luxury of being in verizon's current market. I have plenty of friends whom done what you are thinking an couldn't be happier.

In fact, I just switched from verizon (phone only) to cables triple play, and kept directv and still save money, however, I'm so unhappy with cablevision's phone service. I also got the boost and when it's working it's great, but it goes offline (internet and phone) more than anything i've ever had. I also have the tv service, but the UI for the unit is archaic and I don't even consider using it as my television source.

If you can get Fios, go for it.

I've had FIOS for a few years now. It is a great product. very fast internet 35/15 and DVR storrage is huge. I can record 2 shows and watch a recorded show all at the same time. Channel guide is great and on demand is best I've ever seen. I'm lucky my area was one of the first to install FIOS. I had really had it with Cablevision and the Dolan family antics.

Aside from opinions on the Dolan's or any personal opinions on your local ISP... I don't know why there's even a discussion because there is no comparison. Comparing Optimum or any cable or dsl or any various hard wired service to fiber optics is fucking absurd. It's like comparing a Porsche to a fucking Prius in a speed test. Anyone who picks the Prius has no fucking clue what they're talking about. Sure the Porsche costs more but for a fucking reason.

Last edited:
I've had Cablevision since 1982, and I can tell you that if you're a long time subscriber and threaten to leave them for Fios they will roll out the red carpet for you. The do not want to lose anyone to Fios, and they will do whatever has to be done (to a sensible degree of course) to keep you.