Fios Vs. Optimum

I have zero interest in professional sports so I don't care about F vs O in that regard.

Does FIOS have News12 yet?

Also last time I called FIOS they said they couldn't switch over my landline # but would have to give me a new #. My landline is useful to me for some special limited purposes. For example if people from my past want to contact me they can search my name and find my landline #. Also I like the idea that should I or my SO ever need to call 911 that my location is available to emergency services.

BTW, my Optimum internet service is terrible. Since the CORVIS shutdown I've been losing service several times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time.

I have zero interest in professional sports so I don't care about F vs O in that regard.

Also last time I called FIOS they said they couldn't switch over my landline # but would have to give me a new #. My landline is useful to me for some special limited purposes. For example if people from my past want to contact me they can search my name and find my landline #. Also I like the idea that should I or my SO ever need to call 911 that my location is available to emergency services.

BTW, my Optimum internet service is terrible. Since the CORVIS shutdown I've been losing service several times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time.
You could port your landline number to Ooma unless they can't port your number over. The advantage of using a VoIP service it doesn't matter which ISP you use. Your number will remain the same.

I lose service or have it throttled back significantly on a daily basis. I hate Optimum. And as much as I loath Verizon as a company, I never had an issue with the Fios service.

They do in fact have News12. I'm watching it now channel 529.

Still waiting for Fios in 11779. I’ll switch from Cablevision in a heartbeat!
I have FiOS in 11779... not TV only the internet since it first rolled out in 2004 for 11779.

Verizon tech services recently replaced my original equipment that it was starting to fail after 17 years on the outside exposed wall...

Genius, I agree with you about Macy. Have you noticed that almost all the News12 air-time females have high cheek bones or dimples? (Elissa D, Erin C, Lilly S, Christina R, Hashagan, Samantha A, and even recent Retiree Carol Silva ). I do not notice this trend on other news channels.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Genius, I agree with you about Macy. Have you noticed that almost all the News12 air-time females have high cheek bones or dimples? (Elissa D, Erin C, Lilly S, Christina R, Hashagan, Samantha A, and even recent Retiree Carol Silva ). I do not notice this trend on other news channels.
This being in the moderation que, without thread context, when I first skimmed it I thought you were talking about an AMP :)

As far as News 12 anchors are concerned, Antoinette Biordi and her tight outfits seem to command my attention when on air.

Sometimes I'll catch myself watching past the commercials when she's on. Depravity, I know.

I do miss FiOS 1. I thought their local programming was better than News 12. Restaurant Hunter will be missed.

As far as News 12 anchors are concerned, Antoinette Biordi and her tight outfits seem to command my attention when on air.

Sometimes I'll catch myself watching past the commercials when she's on. Depravity, I know.

I do miss FiOS 1. I thought their local programming was better than News 12. Restaurant Hunter will be missed.
As long as you are not rubbing one out during the News, you should be ok

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator

I was a Verizon Wireless customer for almost 20 years. Then they started offering a better deal for prepaid so I asked to switch. They told me if I switched I couldn't keep my number - the one I've had since I got my first mobile. I said to them "You're telling me if I want to keep my number I have to switch carriers?" and they said yes. So now they have been trying to get me to come back for years when all they had to do to keep me was not be total fucking assholes but they proved that was too much for them to handle.

I'd consider switching to the new Spectrum mobile service but they are also such fucking asshole for my cable service I'm not going to put any more of my life under their control.

@Slinky Bender
It's almost like the phone companies are hiring business school rejects for their marketing department.

My example is similar to the one you posted (and me too but I'm giving more detail now) where I had Fios for at least 10 years (after Cablevision tried to pull some crap with me and I dropped them). Verizon bounced my monthly rate up dramatically, like 50%. So I called up to get a better rate. Long story made short, at end of dealing with a moron, then the supervisor moron (always deal in all my business affairs in a professional, polite, but direct fashion and I always pay my bills on time), they pretty much told me to go pound sand if I didn't like it. So I told them my next call was to cancel my account. Was ok with them.

So I called up optimum and got a salesman to show up — I want the salesman to have some skin in the game. Talked for a while, came up with a good deal. but I told him what do I do about my email address — was my initial and last name@Verizon.net. Guy says that I could buy the name for life for $15 one time charge and he would set it all up for me. Done, and I cancelled Verizon. FYI when I called up to cancel no attempt was made top keep me and my account was closed immediately.

Every couple of months or so I getting either a We Want You Back deal or a phone call or a salesman shows up at front door, trying to get me back and could offer me a special deal because all equipment (exc modem) , wiring etc is still at my house. So Optimum raises my rates like 50% and I call them up to cancel (bluffing) and tell them that I am getting a much better deal from FIOS. "How much you getting" they ask. MY answer, "I don't negotiate that way - just give me your best deal" So they say $xxx is best deal we can do. "Good bye
', "Wait - how about $YYY?" I respond "I'm not going to play this game anymore - goodbye" Guy says "please just hold on" puts me on hold and gives me a very good deal which I accept.

I'm soooo tired of dealing with these guys but Optimum internet is so bad lately I may have to change again and offload my landline to Ooma.

I decided to make the change from Cable to Fios- For the past week or so I have been getting dropped from Verizon cellular...
I have been trying to reach a human being at VW for the past 2 hours..No luck

Fortunately I did not have FIOS installed yet.. I am cancelling the order ...

I have come to the conclusion that customer service sucks, no matter which company you are using...!!!

Can anyone suggest a remedy for dropped calls or n VW network? I have restarted IPhone 8 several times and ensured settings are correct..

I decided to make the change from Cable to Fios- For the past week or so I have been getting dropped from Verizon cellular...
I have been trying to reach a human being at VW for the past 2 hours..No luck

Fortunately I did not have FIOS installed yet.. I am cancelling the order ...

I have come to the conclusion that customer service sucks, no matter which company you are using...!!!

Can anyone suggest a remedy for dropped calls or n VW network? I have restarted IPhone 8 several times and ensured settings are correct..
I have had V W since I got my 1st cellphone (20 years?). I do not recall ever having a dropped call while stationary and maybe at most a couple of times while driving.

So may be it's not V W. Is this happening just form home (then perhaps a tower problem) or everywhere. If everywhere you may have a problem phone. For example once I bought a new phone (prior to IPhone era) and worked fine until I got too close to a tower (200 yds) and then I could not connect). The problem was the phone and when I exchanged it for an identical model, was all good.

Following up here..
I had committed to Fios and planned to disconnect Optimum Called Optimum to disconnect, transferred around and finally spoke to a Supervisor.. Spoke English and did not read from a script ( a per peeve of mine)...
Reduced my bill from appx 210 to 155- very easily done - locked into for a year.. Restored some faith in humanity

Following up here..
I had committed to Fios and planned to disconnect Optimum Called Optimum to disconnect, transferred around and finally spoke to a Supervisor.. Spoke English and did not read from a script ( a per peeve of mine)...
Reduced my bill from appx 210 to 155- very easily done - locked into for a year.. Restored some faith in humanity
Same services and channels???