Fios Vs. Optimum

I wouldn't give the Dolans the time of day...

Regarding Fios vs Cablevision on pure tech basis.. Its still all copper inside your house...whether Fios or Cable.. co-ax from the exterior box to the STB or router

My main reason to stay with Cablevision is that Fios does not get MSG and MSG+ in HD. Of course this is because Cablevision won't give it to them (again in HD).

I wouldn't give the Dolans the time of day...

Regarding Fios vs Cablevision on pure tech basis.. Its still all copper inside your house...whether Fios or Cable.. co-ax from the exterior box to the STB or router
Your pure tech basis isn't very technical. And I'll tell you why. Because you could also say that the internal wiring of your state of the art plasma TV is also made of copper or similar conductive metals. Whats in your home is irrelevant. The important thing is not the copper in your TV, router or the 50 feet of coax in your house.... it's the 20 miles of fiber optic that provides a direct connection from the central office to your home... So there's no need for transformers, boosters and amplifiers which blow and is the primary reason you have outages from time to time. Fiber optic also has a much higher capacity and has much less signal loss and resistance than the copper wire, thus delivering a stronger signal inside your home and doing so more efficiently. FIOS is also not affected by weather conditions, moisture or extreme temps nor interference from other utilities.

At this point or if you're only concerned with straight cable TV there isn't much a difference. But if you have an internet connection as well VIOP the FIOS line (depending on your equipment) will provide noticeably better quality. But the real purpose of FIOS and where it's impact will be felt is for technology still off in the future.

Last edited:
I've had Cablevision since 1982, and I can tell you that if you're a long time subscriber and threaten to leave them for Fios they will roll out the red carpet for you. The do not want to lose anyone to Fios, and they will do whatever has to be done (to a sensible degree of course) to keep you.

FIOS is still too new to worry cable providers. When FIOS becomes ***ilable to a larger % of the public they'll start to worry and make deals. I'd say we're still a couple years from that. Till then with satellite or phone wires not always a viable option or with speeds closer to a 56k modem, your local cable provider is still too much a monopoly to be concerned about you leaving.

FIOS is still too new to worry cable providers. When FIOS becomes ***ilable to a larger % of the public they'll start to worry and make deals. I'd say we're still a couple years from that. Till then with satellite or phone wires not always a viable option or with speeds closer to a 56k modem, your local cable provider is still too much a monopoly to be concerned about you leaving.
Perhaps on a national level. However in the NY metro area you can see the effects of FIOS in improving cable services. TWC, Comcast and Optimum can no longer treat it's customers as pissants. In time I hope the competition will force lower bills as we seen with mobile phones. I remember paying $60 a month for 60 minutes on my At&T cell phone 12 years ago.

I would love to switch because the $190 a month for triple play is highway robbery...but I love the Rangers and Knicks and can't give them up.....but it does kill me giving money to the Dolans

Perhaps on a national level. However in the NY metro area you can see the effects of FIOS in improving cable services. TWC, Comcast and Optimum can no longer treat it's customers as pissants...
Ditto in the Carolinas region. I have it on extremely good authority, when a TWC subscriber, who is in an area where (AT&T) U-Verse is offered, places a call to TWC Customer Care, a pop-up display will alert the Representative of this fact. I am sure you can appreciate the inherent message... "treat this person with care."

And while there still may be a corporate, legal, call it what you may, difference between AT&T, Verizon and all of the other LECs, I am an old enough fuck to still think of them as "one and same." Additionally, I also believe, eventually, the good ol' Bell System will be put back together. :)

FIOS is also not affected by weather conditions, moisture or extreme temps nor interference from other utilities.
BS...

Fios rents space or get contracts to run their (fiberoptic cables) on the same utility poles as Cablevision..

In Nassau/Suffolk the utility poles were originally owned by Lilco?

Anyway... Fios has the same exposure to the elements as any other utility...

Whats in your home is irrelevant
BS

Your system is only as good as its slowest connection....

That's right... Same exposure as cable except that you neglect to mention that FIOS doesn't corrode, rust, short out, blow out, burn up, blow up and anything else that happens to a copper cable or the electrical transformers and boosters every 1500 or so feet on it's way to your home when moisture finds it's way to it. Not to mention that FIOS nor can suffer from RF interference, local airport interference or even some nitwit with a ham set up or the typical bank level alarm system any of a variety of electrical or improperly shielded devices and hurdles the cable passes on the way to your house not to mention whatever shit it's bundled with on that fucking pole.

Even the slowest of connections will preform better when a greater amount of info (better quality of signal) is sent thru it than a lower amount. So.... whats in your home is irrelevant. Unless you have optics running thru your home.

FIOS provides a dedicated "pipe" for your broadband back to the Central Office. This dedicated pipe is unaffected by the number of users on the system. Cablevision has a shared "pipe" that bogs down with heavy traffic. Cablevision compresses their video signal which I found to cause a stop motion or choppy picture in HD.
I'm thinking the future will be internet TV. I'd like to chose only channels I watch in my bundle not these prepackaged lineups the companies shove down our throats. I don't watch 3/4 of the stuff I receive.

Perhaps on a national level. However in the NY metro area you can see the effects of FIOS in improving cable services. TWC, Comcast and Optimum can no longer treat it's customers as pissants. In time I hope the competition will force lower bills as we seen with mobile phones. I remember paying $60 a month for 60 minutes on my At&T cell phone 12 years ago.

Well New Yorkers can be impatient and there's a lot more money to be competitive over. However... in the 5 boro's I'm pretty certain the city still requires FIOS be buried and that unfortunately takes time. But in the long run it's better or you could end up like loosenutz who'll be here complaining his power or TV are out on LI when any or a hundred things knocks out his above ground utilities. Although... short of a hurricane or twister taking those utility poles out, the FIOS should remain intact. In that case loosenutz will be at his neighbors house watching TV.

FIOS provides a dedicated "pipe" for your broadband back to the Central Office. This dedicated pipe is unaffected by the number of users on the system. Cablevision has a shared "pipe" that bogs down with heavy traffic. Cablevision compresses their video signal which I found to cause a stop motion or choppy picture in HD.
I'm thinking the future will be internet TV. I'd like to chose only channels I watch in my bundle not these prepackaged lineups the companies shove down our throats. I don't watch 3/4 of the stuff I receive.
Exactly on target....

The direct connection (dedicated pipe) I mentioned provides a higher capacity... thus no need to compress the signal.

And as I said... FIOS is more about the future (internet TV and phone) but it does still have plenty of benefits today.

I don't have any HD TV sets, so I'm not worried that I couldn't get MSG HD, but are MSG, YES & SNY (HD or non-HD) included in FIOS's basic HD package (the one that they triple bundle)?

If they aren't, what is the added cost?

I don't have any HD TV sets, so I'm not worried that I couldn't get MSG HD, but are MSG, YES & SNY (HD or non-HD) included in FIOS's basic HD package (the one that they triple bundle)?

If they aren't, what is the added cost?
They are all HD on Cablevision. I can't say for FIOS, as I do not subscribe. No extra charge for HD with Cablevision. I'm a big hockey fan, so getting the NY teams in HD is important to me.

I have not had a chance to read all the follow up since my initial question- thanks for the information all- Ozzy, I did not mean to cause you any indigestion bringing up the question-- I agree though, I never liked the Dolan family as well ;)~

Making the switch and saving 40 per month!!! Optimum had nothing to offer- Did not have any concession to keep me as a customer, despite 20+ years of service- Not a very good business practice-

They are all HD on Cablevision. I can't say for FIOS, as I do not subscribe. No extra charge for HD with Cablevision. I'm a big hockey fan, so getting the NY teams in HD is important to me.
That doesn't help me because I'm not going to Cablevision. I have DirecTV now, and all the local sports channels are included. I was asking specifically about FIOS.

I hate cablevision but at least I know there pricing game so I stick with them. Currently locked in for 2yrs at $79.99 for the triple play. In the past every yr I would have to try and negotiate a new deal and the best you could get was $99.99 with there basic package. Right now I have two premium channels and free DVR service for a yr with my current deal.

Best thing I ever did was move from Cablevison to Fios. I pay less, get more, and the speed is far higher. Cablevision tried to get us back with promises of a higher speed rate, but we refused. Fact is, Cablevision has had to rewire. They are only catching up now. Problem is... Next step, they will be behind again.

Only caveat is that Cablevision has a deal to put their wifi on the LIRR trains. So that will be an issue for commuters who go elsewhere unless Fios can also do something there.