Raising funds

Status
Not open for further replies.
betty_snj said:
I did meet with him in NYC few days ago and I paid 15 hundred for my ad/banner in advance, until July 2006, and he didn't say a word to me about his intentions that night.
He should be honest and tell me the board was going down in few days.
Lots of the people I meet comes to UG for my schedules and, now, I am stranded.
Like me, others who pays for their ads probably are feeling the same way.
I think we deserve, at least, more exposure for the time being to justify our investment on UG.
Please, make a VISIBLE board for us and do not hide our postings under "charity drive".
Betty,

Less than one day and you're acting like this? I'm sure the boss will be just as disappointed at you. I'll ask, but I'd bet that he'd be glad to hand you your money back if you don't want to be here anymore when the board is re-openned. Please send me a note to service@utopiaguide.com and I will have a discussion with him as soon as I can.

The reason the posts were put here is that this is the only section which is visible. If you'd prefer, I can ad separate a section for advertisers to post right away. But I think, if anything, your ad posts are more visible now since they are not diluted with anythng else?

blondekelly said:
This is a fund raiser, so I do not think they are trying to make it a pay site, just a one shot deal to cover back expenses and get things going again. I am sure with all of the members if everyone sent in a MO for $20 it would help alot and for those who could send a little more, do so.
That is certainly one of the future options (pay site), and as the boss said, he's waying them right now. Perhaps one of the things he is doing is seeing if it's worth the bother to do the back end work to make this a pay site using this as a yardstick?

Or maybe he's just trying to get a message across to the whiners and complainers that the don't have to stay and complain (because although he tolerated it for years, no one else moderating this place will - it's the reason I won't be much longer).

Or maybe he just wants the hookers who have been getting free business by sending people to post ads for them here and then getting business that if you don't feed the gerbils, they die and then you get no more free electricity.

I don't know which of those he's thinking (or something else entirely). What I do know is that while it was an intersting little diversion for me to be a mod here, I have come away with a fairly sizable hatred for most of teh people on both sides of this sordid "hobby" as a result, so to some extent I got an education I never wanted. At first, I thought he was harsh, a control freak, overbearing, too many rules, and a bunch of other things I don't even want to repeat. After stepping into his shoes for just little bit, I'd put him closer to Saint. but none of you will ever see that because (as I learned from him) the people in this "hobby" have one thing in common on both sides of the fence: it's the most self centered and selfish group of people which walks the planet.

This will be may last post on UG (in this capacity); I'll let the other "UG Staff" do the rest of the talking. When the rest of the boards re-open, I'll be back to posting only as "me". I hope the rest of you take this wake-up call seriously, otherswise you will get what you deserve: only boards which are commercially viable because every word on them is bought and paid for.

I just purchased a totally anonymous credit card that works for internet, mail order and phone transactions. You just take it to the cashier and tell her how much you want on it up to $500. There's a $15 activation fee. I believe they are sold here at Rite Aid, CVS and Radio Shack. It's totally anonymous so we have no excuses. I'm gonna try this out in a little while.
https://www.websecretcard.com

Kassy, stop posting these ridiculously hot pics of yourself (if it is you). I can't fuckin take it. It just aint right you posting pics like that and there's no way for a guy here to go get a taste.

Slow down...

UG STAFF,
One hardly gets to see the ads if they, like me, click on New Posts or jump straight to the last post in the Charity thread. I didn't see them, until after reading your post and purposely looking for them.
Bette has a point that Slinky could have mentioned a day or two down time this month, especially considering the nature of her daily business (and the amount of money she gave him).
It's not my battle to fight, but you've come down hard on a good woman who happens to be a loyal UGer.

ChuckUFarlie said:
I just purchased a totally anonymous credit card that works for internet, mail order and phone transactions. You just take it to the cashier and tell her how much you want on it up to $500. There's a $15 activation fee. I believe they are sold here at Rite Aid, CVS and Radio Shack. It's totally anonymous so we have no excuses. I'm gonna try this out in a little while.
https://www.websecretcard.com

Kassy, stop posting these ridiculously hot pics of yourself (if it is you). I can't fuckin take it. It just aint right you posting pics like that and there's no way for a guy here to go get a taste.

They changed that. Its not totally anonymous.

vorhaut said:
UG STAFF,
One hardly gets to see the ads if they, like me, click on New Posts or jump straight to the last post in the Charity thread. I didn't see them, until after reading your post and purposely looking for them.
Bette has a point that Slinky could have mentioned a day or two down time this month, especially considering the nature of her daily business (and the amount of money she gave him).
It's not my battle to fight, but you've come down hard on a good woman who happens to be a loyal UGer.

DITTO.

vorhaut said:
UG STAFF,

Psychosis said:
As one of now only two who are still left, I can say that everyone here gets sympathy about what should or shouldn't be done,

except the staff.

All we get is shit on, and you wonder why we don't want to have that happen anymore?

PS If any of you had any idea about what we talk about you guys on the private staff board......... that's the only thing I'm going to miss.

I think if staff had more of a presence on the board rather than just being anonymous "staff" that it might prevent allot of the shit that gets thrown at you when people don't know who you are. I guess cloud nine is the best person to ask since he was the one who was least anonymous.

But then you open the other pandoras box like what happens at *** and the known mods there getting tossed favors for favors.

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
From experience I can tell you what makes slink and the staff really cranky is the feeling of entitlement. I really tried my best as moderator to be professional and polite yet people still treated me like an asshole. So if one of them wants to give you all a big fuck you, it was well desrved.

I already said its best the mods don't read the *****s. Personally, I've seen very little shit thrown at staff on the board (unless they delete it before I've seen it). Perhaps have mod staff to run the board and ***** staff to handle that end.. and dopn't allow either access to the others business. If they need to share something back channel they can. The shit that gets trown can be flitered out by whomever is reading those *****s.

Rokin said:
Everything has its pros and cons.
If UG becomes a pay site then it increases security but it will likely reduce the amount of posters.
If a lot of provider ads are sought, then it becomes less likely to be the straight up and honest place for reviews that it is (and other sites are not)
Maybe their could be an auction with the proceeds going to UG.
examples:
Amy could offer up a bbbj
info on getting in at sanford
a ficha bar tour by gc and pb

UG is to important to lose
We have got to put our big heads together and figure out a way
SO WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ozzy said:
I think if staff had more of a presence on the board rather than just being anonymous "staff" that it might prevent allot of the shit that gets thrown at you when people don't know who you are. I guess cloud nine is the best person to ask since he was the one who was least anonymous.

But then you open the other pandoras box like what happens at *** and the known mods there getting tossed favors for favors.
When it was the other way around, people said the exact opposite. I remember lots of folks telling slinkybender he should never moderate the board under his own handle.

c9 should know that everyone since thinks he was the best mod. The boss told us that for a while he actually did it all by himself while the boss was away. I can't even deal with doing my small share. How the fuck did you do it c9?

UG Staff said:
Betty,

Less than one day and you're acting like this? I'm sure the boss will be just as disappointed at you. I'll ask, but I'd bet that he'd be glad to hand you your money back if you don't want to be here anymore when the board is re-openned. Please send me a note to [*****]service@utopiaguide.com[/*****] and I will have a discussion with him as soon as I can.

The reason the posts were put here is that this is the only section which is visible. If you'd prefer, I can ad separate a section for advertisers to post right away. But I think, if anything, your ad posts are more visible now since they are not diluted with anythng else?
is not the money....I don't mind about giving it to keep UG up and running...but, taking all down is just going to drive the other people away...the ones who actually pays for our services...making possible for us to keep paying for our ads here.

I think Slinky should tell me...I was not going to refuse to keep my ad up, probably I would give him more money to help out.

How long I have been here? How long I've been supporting the board? I'm not one of those shipwreck rats. I don't need a refund.

I just felt upset that he didn't even sent me a mail to say the board was going down. Or a phone call. Nothing.

Lets flip the coin....suppose I have a good client, someone who always prebooks his appointments and send me my fee ahead of time. He calls me, books an extended appointment with me and, even knowing that I was not going to keep it because I decided to quit whoring, I don't tell and I do my business with him in the usual manner. One morning, few days later, he is surfing the boards and finds a post I made about retiring and saying goodbye. How do you think he will feel?

:( is not the money....is something else.

UG Staff said:
As one of now only two who are still left, I can say that everyone here gets sympathy about what should or shouldn't be done, except the staff.
All we get is shit on, and you wonder why we don't want to have that happen anymore?
PS If any of you had any idea about what we talk about you guys on the private staff board......... that's the only thing I'm going to miss.
You have my fullest sympathy... that you have seen/heard so much 'bad' that you can't see the good anymore. There are many UG supporters in this thread who have and are trying to find ways to donate to your call for charity... but it's not about the money anymore, is it?
R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.