Girl friend experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with jl on this one. If someone jumps into the middle of a thread and shouts, "Nigger!", a few people will bother to respond, but most just think, "Another internet moron. Go away."

The racism thread (which I read after the fact) was, by contrast, a quite serious attempt to weigh a complex aspect of behavior.

Why does a moron pick a name like "Vermeer?"

NOYL

Poster Child for Birth Control (ironic, no?)
Originally posted by Cat_Ballou
I should know better by now. Sorry to have brought it up...
Tsk, tsk, young girl for not having learned your PMB posting lessons by now......

15 smacks for punishment. lol

I feel uneasy about this, and would like to know what you think about my approach to such matters. I've made it a rule in my life that I never let certain things pass in conversation without confronting them. If someone makes a racist joke or says something truly nasty about women, I confront them about it. I've done that a lot in rural America. But on Internet boards, I pick my spots. Is this one of those spots? If Vermeer had said that to me personally or at a party, I would say something. But on the internet, which is full of fools looking for attention, his remark would have to be something more than idiotic to deserve a response--even a contemptuous response.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. But if you're implying that there's this Male Mafia that doesn't care about women's issues, I've let viciously anti-Semitic posts go by without comment. This has nothing to do with my feelings about (or even my personal involvement with) the subject matter. (And DITTO to Stitch, BTW.)

NOYL

Poster Child for Birth Control (ironic, no?)
Originally posted by NOYL
Tsk, tsk, young girl for not having learned your PMB posting lessons by now......

15 smacks for punishment. lol
Hmmmmm, I guess that didn't go over that good. Guess I'll have to give myself 15 lashes with a cat o' 9 tails.

Originally posted by justlooking
I don't know what this is supposed to mean. But if you're implying that there's this Male Mafia that doesn't care about women's issues, I've let viciously anti-Semitic posts go by without comment. This has nothing to do with my feelings about (or even my personal involvement with) the subject matter. (And DITTO to Stitch, BTW.)
Like I said, I'm sorry I brought it up, and then got nailed by the three-minute edit rule...

Male Mafia? Please. I just don't believe most men take sexism as seriously as they do the other "-isms."

We have very different temperaments: I couldn't let a "viciously anti-semitic post" go by without comment, it would eat at me...

Vermeer spreads nothing but ugliness and misogyny on this board, and given the sum total of his posts and the attitudes expressed therein, I have no problem believing that smacking a whore around is part of his idea of a good time. (I'm sure he's teaching all those lurkers a thing or two.) And that comment was just the last straw, for me...

But again, my apologies for bringing it up...

I know the Board frowns on this, but...

JL:

I want to apologize if what I said earlier in this thread made it sound as though I think you, personally, aren't concerned about women's rights. I know full well that you are...

Our contretemps here are unfortunate, since they are so often about a difference in temperament and style, rather than a serious disagreement of opinion. (Plus, I guess I'm just thinner-skinned than you are, and tend to get more emotionally caught up in the moment. But believe it or not, I am getting better...)

FWIIW, I am serene in the belief that we're on the same side on everything that's really important. Like Mr. Dylan sang:

We always did feel the same
We just saw it from a different point of view
tangled up in blue...

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Re: I know the Board frowns on this, but...

JL:
I am serene in the belief that we're on the same side on everything that's really important.
That can only mean that you are on the opposite side from me on many/most things that really matter. Right, jl? ;)

-Ww

Originally posted by justlooking
I'm not sure we've ever disagreed on anything that really matters.

I'm not sure we've even ever discussed anything that really matters.
Once again: my misperception, my mistake, my apology, never mind...

Mr. Vermeer ought to think a bit before making comments about slapping women around. Even if he was trying to be funny, he might have found a more subtle way rather than using the slapping reference. It is understandable that Cat would take offense - she is well within her rights.

In spite of all the internet racism, sexism, trash talking, etc. it is good to confront people who practice this outrageous behavior.
While I dislike the extremes of the political correctness movement, there are aspects of it that make sense.

Chels

Status
Not open for further replies.