Baseball Hot stove

There is a rule of thumb many sprtswriters talk about. If upon hearing the name you don't say .. Yeah, he's a hall of famer ... then he isn't.

Gotta say ... Biggio and Kent don't make me think Hall of Famer. Glavine, Maddux and Thomas do.

Now that players are playing 20 plus years, the numbers (3000 hits, 500 hrs, 300 wins or 3000 k's) don't mean what they once did. Even though he got in eventually with his 300 wins and 3000 k's, it's unofficially known as the "Phil Niekro" rule.

Last edited:
Biggio retired with a .281 batting avg. For a guy TODAY going in based on hit numbers, .281 doesn't cut it. It's not like when Joe Morgan went in with a .271 cause he had to hit guys like Gibson, Seaver and Carlton his entire career.

Francisco Cervelli(17games 3hr 8 rbi)signs 1yr deal for 700,000 and Ike Davis s(103 games 9hr,33rbi,.205avg and 101k's)gets 3.5 million....im in the wrong profession.damn

Cervelli's contract makes sense. He has a few years under his belt as a proven backup with a decent bat. Ike Davis ... that is ridiculous contract for a guy with those numbers.

Gotta give credit when it's due....

The Mets unloaded Ike Davis who hasn't hit his weight in the last 3 seasons, for more than a bag of peanuts and a box of jock straps. They actually got a player in return..... Now that's an achievement!

Unless the Yanks trade GArdner they aren't doing anything significant. They have zero payroll flexibility and ZERO coming off payroll. 2016 will be a little better but 2017 will be when they can make some real moves. They have to get rid of Beltran's, CC's, A-Rod's and Tex's contracts.

The Mets can do some stuff but Wilpon has no $.

Where's Steve? No micro-managing from Long Island. No comments on what Cashman and the Yankees have done, what awful moves he's made. Someone check the emergency rooms.

I don't like getting rid of the two very good arms in Warren and Wilson. I do like Castro for 2B ... but they had better address the pitching. I think losing Wilson for two mediocre minor league arms was a mistake. I will not complain though till the season opens. They got some good young arms that can step in and replace Warren and Wilson. I guess we are going to find out.

Kudos to Mike Piazza on his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Say what you will about football and basketball taking popularity over baseball,
but there is no HOF like baseball's.

Yeah there is NOTHING LIKE IT! ...Baseball Hall Of Fame Process SUCKS. Biased piece of shit pussy writers, that keep guys out who hurt their poor little feelings(see Jim Rice, Albert Belle,Jeff Kent).THEY WERE DOMINANT! But then put in a guy like Biggio who was simply a Very Good, versatile player that played for a long time. But hey he's such a nice guy.
While I'm on it...Can you say....No Gil Hodges? But hey lets put in Scooter Rizzuto...REALLY!!
Nothing Like It....Yeah it's a Joke But I do Love it & Love the Game