2022 New York Mets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweeeeep! A great game except that Buck kept Jake in for one batter too long. DeGrom still seems like he's tiring early. I hope 2 or 3 more starts can stretch him out.

Vogelbach was solid against his former team. And Nimmo, McNeil, Pete, and Nido all contributed.

A win in this next series assures us of a playoff spot. I still want the division pennant and we're keeping pace with the Braves, who swept their series also.

Max pitches a perfect game for 6 and gets yanked because of caution for his recent side discomfort. I get that but it's unfortunate.

Megill comes in and gives up a hit to the first batter he faces. And there goes the shutout. What a shame. Max is stellar in his return but Megill looks like he's still struggling after a couple of bad minor league rehab starts.

I just noticed that not only do we have to worry about fighting off the Braves for the eastern division, we also have to worry about the Cardinals if we hope to maintain that second bye spot.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I just noticed that not only do we have to worry about fighting off the Braves for the eastern division, we also have to worry about the Cardinals if we hope to maintain that second bye spot.
Cardinals are six out in the loss column to the Mets and Braves. Stranger things have happened but I can't see both teams collapsing that far.
Because for the Cards to get the second seed both teams would have to collapse.

Congrats to you Met fans. I know this has been a long time coming. You got over 500 and made the playoffs. Two big steps. You have a very short window with Max and DeGrom being older and brittle. It’s now or never. Being the fervent Met hater that I am - I am predicting and rooting for a first round ouster and a collapse next year. LLM!

billyS

Reign of Terror
Cardinals are six out in the loss column to the Mets and Braves. Stranger things have happened but I can't see both teams collapsing that far.
Because for the Cards to get the second seed both teams would have to collapse.
Perry, what I'm trying to say and maybe not doing a good job of it, is that it would be pretty mathematically improbable for the Cards to catch the Mets and at the same time the Mets stay ahead of the Braves.
For that to happen both the Mets and Braves would have to have a collapse like the 2007 Mets, the seven game lead with 17 games to go.

I can see the Mets and Braves pushing each other to that last series. Both winning over 100 games.

Perry, what I'm trying to say and maybe not doing a good job of it, is that it would be pretty mathematically improbable for the Cards to catch the Mets and at the same time the Mets stay ahead of the Braves.
For that to happen both the Mets and Braves would have to have a collapse like the 2007 Mets, the seven game lead with 17 games to go.

I can see the Mets and Braves pushing each other to that last series. Both winning over 100 games.
I understood what you meant in the first post, billy, but the possibility of collapse you mention here is what gives me pause. Just look at how poor we're playing tonight.

Lately, the starting pitching has been inconsistent and the offense is hit or miss. Last night we were solid. Tonight in the first we leave the bases loaded and then can't do a thing with their relievers and Carrasco is throwing them meatballs.

But I agree the probability of both teams collapsing is extremely low and the Mets and Braves will likely wind up with triple digit wins.

The bats woke up big time. Mets are playing like the Yanks.

I was expecting Lindor to be a 25/100 player and Alonso a 40/125 guy. They're just about there and both will be new recordholders for the team.

The brewcrew is fighting for a playoff berth and have to be disappointed by this turn of events. Meanwhile, Atlanta continues winning and keeping pace with us. It's gonna go down to the wire with the Atlanta series probably deciding it.

Horrible performances all around today.

Walker ran out of steam. Drew Smith served up a meatball to the first batter he faced, yielding a grand slam that made the game out of reach that late in the action. And the bats were quiet.

Can't win them all. At least we won the series. And Atlanta lost, too, so we stay a game up. Status quo is okay at this point. On to Oakland.

The good news is that we have our 3 aces going in Oakland that will put them on track for Atlanta. I'm confident we win both series with that matchup.

I'm shooting for 102 wins. I don't see why we can't finish 7-4 down the stretch.

As great as Friday night was, that's how horrible Saturday afternoon was. All the pitchers were off their game. Kudos to Jake for owning up to his poor performance, including the balls he thought were strikes.

The only positives were the homers by Alonso and Vientos. The kid finally looks comfortable.

Looking for Max to give us the series win before we head home.

Lindor and Alonso both had great games today. Alonso gets the Mets single season Rbi record . He has 128.
Pete needs one more homer for the 40/125 season I expected from him. Lindor already reached the 25/100 threshold I expected of him. Fantastic production from these guys has made all the difference.

Some much needed rest tomorrow. The schedule is in our favor. I'm feeling good about taking 2 of 3 from the Braves. The only worry is that the storm hits Atlanta Friday and we have to play a DH Saturday.

Congrats to you Met fans. I know this has been a long time coming. You got over 500 and made the playoffs. Two big steps. You have a very short window with Max and DeGrom being older and brittle. It’s now or never. Being the fervent Met hater that I am - I am predicting and rooting for a first round ouster and a collapse next year. LLM!
Like anyone really gives a fuck what you root for.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Wow, Mets get swept and drop 2 games out with 3 to play!

Hats off to Atlanta for taking care of business. They were up against it. First off they had to face deGrom and Scherzer in the first two games. Wasn't this the best one-two punch since Koufax/Drysdale? Well the Braves slapped them around pretty good.

Now you can see why a lot of teams were in on Olsen. He took them both deep.

Buck did his job, he had his three best pitchers lined up for this series.

Now the Mets have to sweep the Nationals, which should be easy but the Braves have to loose at least two to the Marlins.

Stranger things have happened but right now you are looking at the Mets hosting the Padres and then if they get past them, the Dodgers next with Carrasco or Walker opening the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.