2022 New York Mets

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may have been a career year but his numbers and all of the other stuff like his leadership, defense and base running skills have always been above average. When healthy...

If he was 3-5 years younger. I think the Yankees would give him close to what he wants.

If he does resign. He'd be the next captain.

Steinbrenner is in a tough spot :)
I agree with everything you said, but he is not 3 to 5 yrs younger. Yanks are really in a tough spot here with Judge. It always comes down to money on both sides. Stanton’s contract may keep hinting them here.

It may have been a career year but his numbers and all of the other stuff like his leadership, defense and base running skills have always been above average. When healthy...

If he was 3-5 years younger. I think the Yankees would give him close to what he wants.

If he does resign. He'd be the next captain.

Steinbrenner is in a tough spot :)
I love Judge. But everything you said, still doesn’t matter if he is hurt all the time. He stayed healthy just at the right time. I also agree , the Yanks will dangle captain during negotiations. I bet the Yanks regret not giving in last off season.

Mets are in the same spot with DeGrom, face of the franchise, older, injury prone. What to do?
I agree with you. Very tough. I really think both teams should try to go all in and sign them. Of coarse there is a chance neither work out well in the long run but I really feel both have to try to get it done. Over pay for a shorter years?

I know when they calculate the amount of a contract that applies to the luxury tax - they use the average salary over the life of the contract - so front loading does not help them in the luxury tax 7 years down the road.

Also the cost of the contract goes down if you can push off the larger annual payments down the road.

the two reasons above don't help in trading the player 5 years down the road when they are older and broken down. But the final cost for the player is less if you increase the annual salary over the life of the contract.

What they may gain financially by increasing the salary though may ultimately be lost if you have to pay part of that salary in order to trade that player. Like Texas paying like 10 mill per year of A-Rod's contract in order to trade him to the Yankees.

both of these guys just want the max dollar amount overall. If the Yanks offered Judge 5 years $225 mill. He would rather take San Fran's 8 years and $310 mill let's say.

deGrom will take Atlanta's 5 years and $200 mill over the Mets 3 years $135 mill.

I think most players realize and that their agents tell them that these long term contracts will ultimately pay them more than a larger per year short term (but less money overall). Very very very few players at age 38 are in line for another big payday. Scherzer is a rarity.

This is going to be a crazy off season. Mets have so many important free agents. They need to sign most of their own then add trades and outside Free agents to get better. If they loose several of their free agents, next season will not look as good.

Mets wasted no time in re-signing Diaz. No brainer, considering Chapman and Britton made 15 million last year and Diaz is going to make 20.4 on average. Had to lock him up, proved he can handle NY and became a fan favorite. Guy is ELITE in the back end of that bullpen. See what else the Mets have in store for their fans.

D

Deleted member 128262

Mets wasted no time in re-signing Diaz. No brainer, considering Chapman and Britton made 15 million last year and Diaz is going to make 20.4 on average. Had to lock him up, proved he can handle NY and became a fan favorite. Guy is ELITE in the back end of that bullpen. See what else the Mets have in store for their fans.
5 years, $102 million, opt out after year three, option for a sixth year, full NTC. I only hope he doesn’t have an off year due to the big contract like many have and we see the 2019 Diaz.

Great signing. One at a time. They need to sign almost all of our free agents, then add a bat, a real good bullpen piece and a starter. That’s a lot itself, but they have to

$20 mil a year for a closer? Lol it's not my $$...I'm sure Mariano Rivera wishes he was playing . How much would he have gotten in today's market if Diaz is getting that much.

billyS

Reign of Terror
$20 mil a year for a closer? Lol it's not my $$...I'm sure Mariano Rivera wishes he was playing . How much would he have gotten in today's market if Diaz is getting that much.
Cohen is going to set the market going forward. I suspect teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox will also up the ante to compete.

Teams like the Rangers and Giants will over pay one or two guys on their roster and get burned but still help raise the ceiling on contracts.

Teams like the Astros and Rays will keep winning anyway because they have superior scouting and development.

Teams like the Reds, Royals and Pirates will bitch and moan, purposely tank and set up for a long work stoppage when this CBA expires.

Closers and relievers in general are a real crap shoot. their careers are mostly very volatile. They can be very good one year and bad the other. Diaz is a perfect example. He has a 7 year career. There are quite a few stinker seasons in there. Britton is another - about half his seasons can be considered good. It is real tough to throw that kind of money at any reliever.

Cohen is going to set the market going forward. I suspect teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox will also up the ante to compete.
Cashman will only over pay for free agents that will have a major impact on the team. He's not going to change because of Cohen, nor should he. If Cohen wants to offer Judge a ten year/40 mil contract, you cannot counter.

With all of the free agent opportunities last year, he signed no one of substance.

I agree with you about other teams and I'll add Boston, Seattle and San Diego to the list. I expect Boston to be major players in the off season.

D

Deleted member 128262

Closers and relievers in general are a real crap shoot. their careers are mostly very volatile. They can be very good one year and bad the other. Diaz is a perfect example. He has a 7 year career. There are quite a few stinker seasons in there. Britton is another - about half his seasons can be considered good. It is real tough to throw that kind of money at any reliever.
I think it also depends on how they handle the pressures of NY. Diaz sucked his first year, then had an ok following season. I think it was 20 or 21 where he had the 1.75 ERA in the abbreviated season. The guy can strike out batters. Now whether or not this years season was because it was a contract year remains to be seen.

Mets have no choice but to have a huge payroll with Cohen. Mets have so many of their good free agents that they have to sign most of them. Half their team is free agents. Also, Mets we so far away from a championship team that they have to pay a lot on Free agents just to have a shot.

Mets have no choice but to have a huge payroll with Cohen. Mets have so many of their good free agents that they have to sign most of them. Half their team is free agents. Also, Mets we so far away from a championship team that they have to pay a lot on Free agents just to have a shot.
True but I don't think no other team would have given him 20 mil a year to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.