2022 MLB news, topics not involving NY teams or not NY teams 2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the new playoff format will have a positive or negative effect on the top 2 teams in each league?

(The 2 teams in each league with the best record get a first-round bye for the wildcard series in the playoffs, skipping to the division series and giving them a layoff of 5 days.)

Thoughts on the new rules encompassing MLB?
Pitch timer clocks
Larger bases
Position shifts

Long time coming, or just more interference from powers to be who are concerned only with $$

Pitch clock ? How you policing that?

The 2 throws to first base is beyond stupid. So now you can't hold runners on? Thats a big part of the game. So after the second throw over the runner on first base will be on second before the ball crosses home plate. VERY stupid rule.

Glad to see the shift gone, killed baseball the last ten years.

What's the purpose of larger bases? You're going to hear on every close play that's called safe that it would of been an out with the old bases. I don't want to hear that.

The larger bases - Meh - You might have a point exiled. How many times do you see a player hurt due to the base size? Every once and a while at first somebody gets spiked. How about just do something at 1B?

I think nine-lives that the throws to 1B or 2B don't count. They aren't going to say you can't throw to 1B due to the 15 second rule. If they do then it's a stupid rule - I just don't think that's the case.

The larger bases - Meh - You might have a point exiled. How many times do you see a player hurt due to the base size? Every once and a while at first somebody gets spiked. How about just do something at 1B?

I think nine-lives that the throws to 1B or 2B don't count. They aren't going to say you can't throw to 1B due to the 15 second rule. If they do then it's a stupid rule - I just don't think that's the case.
I thought I read it as a pitcher can only throw over to first base twice during an at bat. Maybe I read it wrong or confused it. If thats the case, I don't like. Benefits the runner big time.

The larger base is to help avoid running into the first baseman or whoever is covering. Also to avoid ankles and feet from being stepped on and getting tangled up. I don't mind it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I don't get limiting throwing over to first base. How easy is it now for a runner to swipe a base? After the second throw he can get a running start.

The shift killed the batting averages for guys like Giambi, Texiera, Ortiz.

It will definitely add for offense and out a premium on guys with great range like Lindor.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Looking to the playoffs;

As of now 9/15
The 12 teams are pretty much set. The only open questions are Mets/Braves in NL East and the seeding of the six Wild Card teams.

All three Wild Card teams in the AL have better records than Cleveland who will win the Central.

Houston and LA have locked up the top seeds.

The two Eastern Division winners Yankees and Mets/Braves will get the second bye.

Because the third best division winner has to play the WC round that means they get the WC with the worse record.

Then in the next round the second best Division winner gets the winner of that round.

So the top seeds Astros and Dodgers will potentially face a really tough opponent like the Braves or Toronto while the Mets and Yankees would have a potentially easier opponent, the Central winner or the third WC.

That's why I'm all for reseeding after every round.

Of course a lot could change between now and then.

Looking to the playoffs;

As of now 9/15
The 12 teams are pretty much set. The only open questions are Mets/Braves in NL East and the seeding of the six Wild Card teams.

All three Wild Card teams in the AL have better records than Cleveland who will win the Central.

Houston and LA have locked up the top seeds.

The two Eastern Division winners Yankees and Mets/Braves will get the second bye.

Because the third best division winner has to play the WC round that means they get the WC with the worse record.

Then in the next round the second best Division winner gets the winner of that round.

So the top seeds Astros and Dodgers will potentially face a really tough opponent like the Braves or Toronto while the Mets and Yankees would have a potentially easier opponent, the Central winner or the third WC.

That's why I'm all for reseeding after every round.

Of course a lot could change between now and then.
I agree with reseeding I think that’s fair in any sport.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Mattingly leaving Marlins at the end of the season.
It's about time, that's a dead end job because the owner will never try to win.

Honestly Florida has proven they won't support a baseball team. Tampa has one of the best organizations in all of sports, they win all the time but play in the worst one of worst stadiums ever.

Neither team draws fans. Time to move both.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Mattingly is a better manager than that %. Showalters % .511 not much higher,but we all know he is better than that. Managed bad teams as well.
Yeah Buck rebuilt some bad teams like the Yankees and Orioles and had an expansion team in the Diamondbacks.
That kind of skews his won/loss record. This year might have been the first time he stepped into a situation where the team was ready to win since they went out in the off season and filled most of the holes and had a strong core of players Alonzo/Lindor/McNeil/Diaz/deGrom.

Bucks one of the best managers I ever seen.
Might be the smartest.

Status
Not open for further replies.