2021 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a pathetic showing but they won. I will take it! Now we have to go to Boston and beat those turds. I hate Tampa more than Boston. The postseason is full of teams I hate. Boston, Tampa and Houston. If you gave me a choice of beating Boston, Beating Tampa and then losing to Houston ... OR ... just losing to Boston in the wild card game ... I may choose just losing to Boston now. I don't think I could stomach losing to Houston again. Although Beating Houston in Yankee stadium while the fans chant vile vulgar things at Altuve ... making him cry ... would be perhaps my greatest sports moment ever!

This was a pathetic showing but they won. I will take it! Now we have to go to Boston and beat those turds. I hate Tampa more than Boston. The postseason is full of teams I hate. Boston, Tampa and Houston. If you gave me a choice of beating Boston, Beating Tampa and then losing to Houston ... OR ... just losing to Boston in the wild card game ... I may choose just losing to Boston now. I don't think I could stomach losing to Houston again. Although Beating Houston in Yankee stadium while the fans chant vile vulgar things at Altuve ... making him cry ... would be perhaps my greatest sports moment ever!
There’s only one team I hate more than Boston and that’s the cowboys.
You have to tip your hat to Tampa. They are in the mix every year without the big payroll a decent stadium or a fan base.
I don’t give a fuck about Houston. They will go back to sucking in a year or so

I still don't think Houston has been abused enough by the fans. If the Yankees met Houston again in the playoffs this year, the abuse heaped on the Astros would be epic.

I love DJ and apparently he has been fighting this thing all year. This would explain the bad year he was having. I look forward to a return to form with DJ next year. A healthy DJ is an extremely good player.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I'm so glad this season is over.

I've been following the Yankees for over 50 years and this was the toughest team to watch.

The expectations were high at the outset but that team Sports Illustrated picked to go to the World Series never materialized.

They basically became unwatchable ( for me anyways) for a long stretch of time because the only thing they could be counted on was to blow a big lead and/or get embarrassed by a hated rival.

About last night's game;

Cole came up small again. He needs to figure this out because even without his sticky stuff he is better than that.

That said,
Did the Red Sox cheat last night?
Cora is a known and convicted cheater.
How did those two shots Stanton hit stay in the park? Dead balls?

I agree. This was easily the most frustrating season for me as a Yankee fan and I have been one for about the same amount of time as Billy. The pre-Steinbrenner Yankees I was just a little kid who liked Bobby Murcer and it was just something else to watch on TV. Then they were good and they sucked me in! Those 76-81 Yankees were really good. Should have won more. What a tough gutsy group. Lou, Nettles, Thurm. Loved that team. The 80's were frustrating but I never recall such losses where I felt kicked in the balls like this year. So many bad epic losses this year. The early 90's team was VERY bad but at least they were building and you could see what was going on. I am glad it is over. realistically I did not see them going very far at all. They should have won this game but Cole wasn't right. Hamstring? Gutlessness? I don't know. But it wasn't just Cole. We simply did not hit. You aren't going to score much with what we had for a lineup after Stanton.

Just not good enough.

Our team ERA was #3 in the AL and was not that far behind the #1 spot. Our pitching was not horrible though Chapman was inconsistent to say the least.

Boone has to go.

Players that have to go:
Gallo
Torres
Sanchez
Hicks (although that contract is probably untradeable)
Gardner (love him but it's time)
Rizzo (nice player but not worth what he wants)
Voit (can't stay on the field)
Taillon (can't stay on the mound)

I would like them to get the best starter they possibly can. At least pursue Scherzer. I know he likes the west coast but TRY. Get someone.

Rotation for next year:
Cole
best acquisition possible
Severino
Monty
Cortes

Lets get good defenders and guys with good character. Need a LF, SS, C - plus I would love someone to replace Hicks but Cashman has a hard on for him and he has an untradeable contract. Good luck to Chicago as I hate every other American League team in the playoffs.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Yeah Boone has to go. He is in over his head and not a good in game manager.
Also the overall sloppiness is on him.

SS is the biggest hole. How they fill that will determine how they fill it the rest of the team.

Another front line starter is priority 1B.

Depending on what they do with Torres will impact 1B.
I'd like to see a gold glover there next year. Voit has to go. He is horrible on defense and can't be counted on to stay healthy.
Sign either Rizzo or Freeman or trade for Olsen. Package Torres for Olsen and move DJ back to second.

I'd love to see them try to pry Mullins from Baltimore. He is the same age now and the same stage of his career (breakout season) as Mickey Rivers was when the Yankees got him the Angels.

If you take care of the above I can live with Gallo and Sanchez sitting at the bottom of the lineup, but I think you bring in someone to challenge Higgy. He has a weak arm and his hitting has been exposed.

The top position players in the farm system are too far away to make an impact next year.

I think we are in agreement but honestly - I can't watch a full season of Gallo. Also - Sanchez can be replaced with someone far better very cheap. He is ranked near the bottom in every way you can rank a catcher - offensively and defensively. I am sure you can find someone better.

I am back from my self imposed exile. All I can say is I am SO glad its over!
Years past I would have been crushed by this loss, my day would be ruined today had it been the crew from the late 90's or even the mid 2000's. But I am not upset one bit, I am relieved. They were never going deep into the playoffs. I rather they lose to Boston, then to the Rays or Astros - AGAIN.

I feel like this team held me hostage all year. Kept me engaged with spurts, got my hopes up, then put me back into solitary confinement. Same routine, Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

BIG changes need to happen, there can't be anymore lip stick on a pig. The con is up, as a fan I won't be force-fed these analytical type of players, who play out of position, can't play basic defense, or run the bases. There needs to be a total overhaul of how the team is prepared and the basics need to be branded into the way they should play next year.

I would start by firing Boone and Cashman. Go for the throat and clean house, bring in Epstein or Beane. But the sack-less Hal won't do that. So everyone should be prepared for more Cashman in 2022.

Boone’s contract is up. Hopefully they don’t resign him.

Theo would be a better fit for the Mets.
But Cashman needs to go. But probably won’t.

I will root for Tampa the rest of the way. They do a lot with less and are well managed. Sometimes you have to tip your hat.

Besides. I hate Tony Larussa.

Sharing the sentiments as the rest of you guys - I'm glad the season is over. The inconsistency of these team was a testament as to how good they really are. Their run differential paints that picture and illustrates how tremendous the bullpen was this year. Guys like Peralta, Holmes, Luetge, Loaisiga really stepped up and turned what would have been a disastrous season to a winning one.

As for next year and as much as I want to see change, I doubt that either Boone or Cashman will be replaced.

As for returning players, I would be thrilled if Rizzo was signed. The guy is an absolute gamer as evidenced by his home run to make the score 3-1 last night.

Gleyber Torres played his best baseball when returned to second base. No way I'm moving him.

If they sign Rizzo, Urshella may be vulnerable to a trade unless they make him the everyday shortstop. There are so many big name shortstops in the FA market so if they that route, that would make DJ the everyday first baseman and not sign Rizzo. So the question is where do you play DJ? They have two shortstop prospects that may be closer than you think to be ready.

The starting pitching could use some help. Taillon was terrific this year and look forward to his return along with Montgomery. Cortes is at best a fifth starter but would prefer him in a long relief role. Perhaps King becomes a starter to replace Kluber. I have serious reservations about Seve and can only hope that we see that greatness again.

It's sayonara to Frazier, Andujar and Voit.

Sharing the sentiments as the rest of you guys - I'm glad the season is over. The inconsistency of these team was a testament as to how good they really are. Their run differential paints that picture and illustrates how tremendous the bullpen was this year. Guys like Peralta, Holmes, Luetge, Loaisiga really stepped up and turned what would have been a disastrous season to a winning one.

As for next year and as much as I want to see change, I doubt that either Boone or Cashman will be replaced.

As for returning players, I would be thrilled if Rizzo was signed. The guy is an absolute gamer as evidenced by his home run to make the score 3-1 last night.

Gleyber Torres played his best baseball when returned to second base. No way I'm moving him.

If they sign Rizzo, Urshella may be vulnerable to a trade unless they make him the everyday shortstop. There are so many big name shortstops in the FA market so if they that route, that would make DJ the everyday first baseman and not sign Rizzo. So the question is where do you play DJ? They have two shortstop prospects that may be closer than you think to be ready.

The starting pitching could use some help. Taillon was terrific this year and look forward to his return along with Montgomery. Cortes is at best a fifth starter but would prefer him in a long relief role. Perhaps King becomes a starter to replace Kluber. I have serious reservations about Seve and can only hope that we see that greatness again.

It's sayonara to Frazier, Andujar and Voit.
If they don’t sign Rizzo, I can see them keeping Voit unless they find someone else.
I think Taillon will be better next year.
im not worried About the starting pitching. I’m more concerned about our inconsistent closer and lack of hitting from all the guys that should be hitting.
Also they are too sloppy in the field and on the bases.
I blame a lot of that on Boone and his staff.
Hopefully they don’t resign him.
He makes too many odd decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.