2021 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Sharing the sentiments as the rest of you guys - I'm glad the season is over. The inconsistency of these team was a testament as to how good they really are. Their run differential paints that picture and illustrates how tremendous the bullpen was this year. Guys like Peralta, Holmes, Luetge, Loaisiga really stepped up and turned what would have been a disastrous season to a winning one.

As for next year and as much as I want to see change, I doubt that either Boone or Cashman will be replaced.

As for returning players, I would be thrilled if Rizzo was signed. The guy is an absolute gamer as evidenced by his home run to make the score 3-1 last night.

Gleyber Torres played his best baseball when returned to second base. No way I'm moving him.

If they sign Rizzo, Urshella may be vulnerable to a trade unless they make him the everyday shortstop. There are so many big name shortstops in the FA market so if they that route, that would make DJ the everyday first baseman and not sign Rizzo. So the question is where do you play DJ? They have two shortstop prospects that may be closer than you think to be ready.

The starting pitching could use some help. Taillon was terrific this year and look forward to his return along with Montgomery. Cortes is at best a fifth starter but would prefer him in a long relief role. Perhaps King becomes a starter to replace Kluber. I have serious reservations about Seve and can only hope that we see that greatness again.

It's sayonara to Frazier, Andujar and Voit.
I love Nestor but teams would figure him out if he was a regular in the rotation, plus you know whenever he starts it's a heavy bullpen day.

Last piece of the puzzle for Monty is going longer in games. He didn't get any run support this year but no way that happens two years in a row. Tallion should be better also now that he got some rust off.
But they need to get a solid number two then if Sevy comes back they pretty strong and have some depth.

Early spit balling regarding the 2022 roster:

Starting at catcher, not much available on the free agent market, might have to look into a trade. Salvador Perez comes too mind. Maybe a blockbuster of Perez and Merrifield (who I man crush). Him at top of the lineup would be amazing. Start with Torres, Voit, Andujar, and a few prospects. Yankees have a slew of highly regarded Catching prospects they can offer back.

Try to resign Rizzo, Freeman aint leaving Atlanta for the Yankees. He may for another team, don’t see him coming to the big city. Fallback could be Belt from SF, otherwise just let DJ play 1B.

Sign Semien and have him play SS for next 3 years until hopefully Volpe is ready.

I think 3b is an issue, Gio is showing to be a little fragile and his numbers have been down, 14 hrs from your 3B position is NOT enough these days. Try to trade for Jose Ramirez or Chapman. Offer up Gallo and some prospects. Have to try and trade Gallo, he has value. He is not a fit for NY. San Diego GM LOVES Gallo. Ramirez is the preference as he is a switch hitter......We cant keeping hoard all these prospects that don't blossom!

Throw a “Marte Party” in CF. That is the guy they HAVE to get. No more Hicks, he CANT be trusted or relied on. Its insanity too think this guy will stay healthy. Can’t keep putting yourself in that position. Time to realize the mistake and move on. Give Marte his 3 years he wants for 17 Million a Year. He hits, runs like a deer, plays great defense. Could hit anywhere in the lineup, and most importantly, he doesn't want to be a golf pro!!

I do think they should try to make a run at Scherzer.

Robbie Ray, but he scares me. Is he the guy who finally put it all together coincidently in his walk year?

I would take a flier on Paxton again, a year removed from TJS. Why not? He was nails for that second half of the 2019 season. Would come cheap, couldn’t be worse then the Kluber signing, and he’s 3 years younger.

Zach Davies and Marcus Stroman are out there.

I don’t trust Gausman, he never could pitch in the NL East and he suddenly found success in the best pitchers park in baseball, hard pass.

This team MUST get more contact hitters, get better defensively, and be more athletic and be able to steal some bases. When were they the most exciting this season? When they were stealing bases and doing the little things and NOT having to force the home run and let it come naturally by putting pressure on the opposing pitcher.

2B - Whitfield
CF - Marte
1B - Rizzo
RF - Judge
3B - Ramirez
DH - Stanton
C - Perez
SS - Semien
LF - Gardner / Florial

billyS

Reign of Terror
Early spit balling regarding the 2022 roster:

Starting at catcher, not much available on the free agent market, might have to look into a trade. Salvador Perez comes too mind. Maybe a blockbuster of Perez and Merrifield (who I man crush). Him at top of the lineup would be amazing. Start with Torres, Voit, Andujar, and a few prospects. Yankees have a slew of highly regarded Catching prospects they can offer back.

Try to resign Rizzo, Freeman aint leaving Atlanta for the Yankees. He may for another team, don’t see him coming to the big city. Fallback could be Belt from SF, otherwise just let DJ play 1B.

Sign Semien and have him play SS for next 3 years until hopefully Volpe is ready.

I think 3b is an issue, Gio is showing to be a little fragile and his numbers have been down, 14 hrs from your 3B position is NOT enough these days. Try to trade for Jose Ramirez or Chapman. Offer up Gallo and some prospects. Have to try and trade Gallo, he has value. He is not a fit for NY. San Diego GM LOVES Gallo. Ramirez is the preference as he is a switch hitter......We cant keeping hoard all these prospects that don't blossom!

Throw a “Marte Party” in CF. That is the guy they HAVE to get. No more Hicks, he CANT be trusted or relied on. Its insanity too think this guy will stay healthy. Can’t keep putting yourself in that position. Time to realize the mistake and move on. Give Marte his 3 years he wants for 17 Million a Year. He hits, runs like a deer, plays great defense. Could hit anywhere in the lineup, and most importantly, he doesn't want to be a golf pro!!

I do think they should try to make a run at Scherzer.

Robbie Ray, but he scares me. Is he the guy who finally put it all together coincidently in his walk year?

I would take a flier on Paxton again, a year removed from TJS. Why not? He was nails for that second half of the 2019 season. Would come cheap, couldn’t be worse then the Kluber signing, and he’s 3 years younger.

Zach Davies and Marcus Stroman are out there.

I don’t trust Gausman, he never could pitch in the NL East and he suddenly found success in the best pitchers park in baseball, hard pass.

This team MUST get more contact hitters, get better defensively, and be more athletic and be able to steal some bases. When were they the most exciting this season? When they were stealing bases and doing the little things and NOT having to force the home run and let it come naturally by putting pressure on the opposing pitcher.

2B - Whitfield
CF - Marte
1B - Rizzo
RF - Judge
3B - Ramirez
DH - Stanton
C - Perez
SS - Semien
LF - Gardner / Florial
No DJ? Are trading him or benching him?

Changing 5 out of 9 for a team that won 92 games isn't going to happen.

I love Perez but I'd never aquire a player after a career year , same with Semien.

That said that's not a bad team.

Nine LIves - I think you are putting way overvaluing ANdujar, Torres, Voit and Frazier. They are our rejects. Yes - you can get somethign for them but it sure isn't going top be Ramirez ... and Why would CLeveland trade Ramirez? To get Ramirez you would have to offer up DOminguez and Volpe .... then maybe. I love Scherzer too but at the trade deadline he gave a list of teams he would accept a trade to and East coast teams were not on there. And that was just for the rest of this season,. He won't want to come to the east coast for 2-3 years. They have always liked Robby Ray and have tried to trade for him in the past a couple of times. I would expect they would go after him.

NO MORE GAMBLING ON DELICATE ARMS!!! I am sick of Paxton/Kluber?Taillon types. SPend the money and get someone who will make 32 starts.

No DJ? Are trading him or benching him?

Changing 5 out of 9 for a team that won 92 games isn't going to happen.

I love Perez but I'd never aquire a player after a career year , same with Semien.

That said that's not a bad team.
DJ is there to play 1B if they don't resign Rizzo, or if they move on from Gio and can't trade for Chapman/Ramirez.

I totally agree with you about Perez, I almost was going to say that. But he was a beast this year, would have to expect some regression. Thing is, there are really no great FA choices for 2022 at Catcher. I think if we upgrade at that position it will come via a trade.

If you want to make a statement this post season, trade for Mike Trout. I would package an offer to include Torres, the Dominguez prospect, one of the shortstop prospects, etc. Not sure if the Angels would part with him, but I do know that Trout being from NJ would welcome it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Trading prospects is tricky.
This team is obviously built to win now but at the same time you can't strip your farm system.

That is what got them in trouble in the 80's. They were always looking for that final piece that would out those Mattingly/Henderson/Winfield teams over the top and in the process traded away guys like Buhner, MaGee, Draybek, Rios. That combined with not getting back anything when they traded Henderson and Clark led to those awful Mel Hall batting clean up teams of the late 80's, early 90's.

Trading prospects is tricky.
This team is obviously built to win now but at the same time you can't strip your farm system.

That is what got them in trouble in the 80's. They were always looking for that final piece that would out those Mattingly/Henderson/Winfield teams over the top and in the process traded away guys like Buhner, MaGee, Draybek, Rios. That combined with not getting back anything when they traded Henderson and Clark led to those awful Mel Hall batting clean up teams of the late 80's, early 90's.
The farm system provides the only chips unfortunately. If Trout is somehow available, I would roll the dice.

An outfield of Stanton, Trout and Judge would be something.

Nine LIves - I think you are putting way overvaluing ANdujar, Torres, Voit and Frazier. They are our rejects. Yes - you can get somethign for them but it sure isn't going top be Ramirez ... and Why would CLeveland trade Ramirez? To get Ramirez you would have to offer up DOminguez and Volpe .... then maybe. I love Scherzer too but at the trade deadline he gave a list of teams he would accept a trade to and East coast teams were not on there. And that was just for the rest of this season,. He won't want to come to the east coast for 2-3 years. They have always liked Robby Ray and have tried to trade for him in the past a couple of times. I would expect they would go after him.

NO MORE GAMBLING ON DELICATE ARMS!!! I am sick of Paxton/Kluber?Taillon types. SPend the money and get someone who will make 32 starts.
I probably am overvaluing those guys you mention. Torres and Gallo have more value then Andujar and Frazier. Torres will still fetch a decent return. For some reason, Gallo is really liked by a lot of the heavy analytics teams. I think if the Yankees play it right, Torres and Gallo along with a throw in like Andujar and Frazier plus prospects could net the Yankees some solid players in return.

I disagree that Ramirez would cost Volpe and Dominguez. He has 2 years left on his contract, is a free agent at age 31 in 2024. Indians won't resign him because he will get BIG money from a larger market team. Look at what they got for Lindor, not much because they waited too long. I think the Yankees could offer up a guy like O.Peraza, Gil, Breaux, and either Torres or Gallo and could net him. Its a lot, but Ramirez is filthy. Can't keep hoarding these prospects that don't pan out. Thats one of my biggest criticisms regarding Cashman, he hoards these guys and overvalues them. Remember Chance Adams? We could of had Cole in 2018 for Andujar and Frazier.

I know Scherzer said he wouldn't agree to a trade to NY, thats fine. Wave 75 million in his face for 3 years and see if he still says no. His agent is Scott Boras, you don't think that's a ploy to drive up his price when he hits free agency? He looks like the only legit top end starter available in free agency for 2022. I still would try. Ray scares me, always walked a ton of batters, now he figured it out right before he becomes a free agent. I would pass. Stroman still begging to be a Yankee, he did pitch pretty good for the Mets, but he seems like such a douche bag. Thats why I mentioned Paxton, guy was solid when he was healthy, "WHEN" he was healthy. Could he be any worse then Kluber at 13 million?

Should be an interesting next few weeks and hot stove.

billyS

Reign of Terror
If you want to make a statement this post season, trade for Mike Trout. I would package an offer to include Torres, the Dominguez prospect, one of the shortstop prospects, etc. Not sure if the Angels would part with him, but I do know that Trout being from NJ would welcome it.
I'm not sure he's the same player anymore. Plus he has an enormous contract. So you're going to be paying him for the great years he had with the Angels.
I really think you'd have to give up Judge in the deal, Angels would want Volpe, Dominguez, Judge and one of their pitching prospects.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I love Ramirez but I'm just thinking the Yankees will spend their resources on the glaring holes, SS and maybe 1B.

We all see CF as a glaring hole but unfortunately I think the Yankees might still be foolishly counting on Hicks.

Ray scares me too the way he spit the bit in that game vs the Yankees last week. But who knows, maybe he learns from that.

Didn't Gabe Paul tell Gene Michaels the best time to get a left handed pitcher is between 30 and 35? Because they mature later, it takes them longer to harness their stuff.

I'm not sure he's the same player anymore. Plus he has an enormous contract. So you're going to be paying him for the great years he had with the Angels.
I really think you'd have to give up Judge in the deal, Angels would want Volpe, Dominguez, Judge and one of their pitching prospects.
My thinking is that Torres would be more attractive because of his age. Dominguez would be Trout’s replacement in two years.

Just looked up Trout on BR. He will be 30 next year and their is nothing in his stats that show a decline. If you think the calf strain is a concern, then it’s a moot deal.

I love Ramirez but I'm just thinking the Yankees will spend their resources on the glaring holes, SS and maybe 1B.

We all see CF as a glaring hole but unfortunately I think the Yankees might still be foolishly counting on Hicks.

Ray scares me too the way he spit the bit in that game vs the Yankees last week. But who knows, maybe he learns from that.

Didn't Gabe Paul tell Gene Michaels the best time to get a left handed pitcher is between 30 and 35? Because they mature later, it takes them longer to harness their stuff.
Ray will return to the Blue Jays with a 4 year deal.

I've been a Cashmen defender in the past, but I think it is time he goes. It is not just the moves he's made, it's the moves he didn't make. This team doesn't use analyticals correctly and it bites them in the ass.

If Theo Epstein is being floated as a possible solution for the Mets, why can't he also be considered the same for the Yankees? I would let Theo take control of the team in a heartbeat.

The roster is so uneven. It's a group of players that can't stay healthy, strike out too much, have no situational hitting skills (aside from DJ), way too many Righty bats and little speed throughout the starting line up.

Sanchez, Gardner and Gallo are probably gone. Love Voight but we need an everyday 1B who stays healthy. Torres won't be going back to SS but his defense even at 2B needs improvement. 3B may also be a question mark.

They're just a collection of guys. There's no personality with this team. We need an identity and rallingy cry.

1B too me isn't as glaring of a hole if you address SS, CF, and either 3B or C. Playing DJ at 1B is ok if they address those other areas.

I've been a Cashmen defender in the past, but I think it is time he goes. It is not just the moves he's made, it's the moves he didn't make. This team doesn't use analyticals correctly and it bites them in the ass.

If Theo Epstein is being floated as a possible solution for the Mets, why can't he also be considered the same for the Yankees? I would let Theo take control of the team in a heartbeat.

The roster is so uneven. It's a group of players that can't stay healthy, strike out too much, have no situational hitting skills (aside from DJ), way too many Righty bats and little speed throughout the starting line up.

Sanchez, Gardner and Gallo are probably gone. Love Voight but we need an everyday 1B who stays healthy. Torres won't be going back to SS but his defense even at 2B needs improvement. 3B may also be a question mark.

They're just a collection of guys. There's no personality with this team. We need an identity and rallingy cry.
Good to the point post. A few comments.

Cashman's contract is through 2022 so the likelihood of him being replaced is small. He makes 5 million annually.

Gallo and Sanchez. These two guys ARE the problems in the line up. Not sure how to replace Sanchez, but his defense is a liability. Specifically his inability to limit wild pitches and pass balls. I've never seen a catcher so slow in reacting to a bad pitch.

I badly want Rizzo back but I doubt that the Yankees will pay him. I would expect that Boston would be mighty interested in him to play first and is an upgrade over Bobby Dalbec. Would that factor in the Yankees decision? They are clearly a better team with him.

Good to the point post. A few comments.

Cashman's contract is through 2022 so the likelihood of him being replaced is small. He makes 5 million annually.

Gallo and Sanchez. These two guys ARE the problems in the line up. Not sure how to replace Sanchez, but his defense is a liability. Specifically his inability to limit wild pitches and pass balls. I've never seen a catcher so slow in reacting to a bad pitch.

I badly want Rizzo back but I doubt that the Yankees will pay him. I would expect that Boston would be mighty interested in him to play first and is an upgrade over Bobby Dalbec. Would that factor in the Yankees decision? They are clearly a better team with him.
EB -
I think Gallo will be traded, he has value to a lot of teams. He is not mentally tough enough for NY and we don't need another 200+ k guy in our lineup.

Looking at the 2022 catching free agents its a thin group headed by Yan Gomes. Posey, Zunnino, and Barnhart all have club options. But none of that trio would interest me. Posey aint leaving SF. I think in order to shore up catcher they will have to make a trade, or reinforce the other gaping holes we have and let catcher be a platoon of higgy and a solid defensive journeyman. Bat them 9th and hope they can at least hit 240.

Rizzo is in a good spot, beloved in Chicago, really liked in NY, and desired in Boston. He going to get paid, 4/80 minimum.

Mike Trout is a great player - BUT... he is 30 and he gets hurt a lot. I would not give up Dominguez, Volpe, Judge, Abreu and Gil for him. And that is probably what it would take. And not that it is a large sample size - his postseason record is 1 for 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.