2021 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="LISteve, post: 1255720, member: 75025" I wonder what Nettles, Piniella and Munson would have done. /QUOTE]
I would have loved to see that. Would have been very exciting.

billyS

Reign of Terror
[QUOTE="LISteve, post: 1255720, member: 75025" I wonder what Nettles, Piniella and Munson would have done. /QUOTE]
I would have loved to see that. Would have been very exciting.
What would have been worth seeing is if Lindor or Baez had to turn a double play after that and one of those guys was on first.
Whoever was covering the bag would have wound up in left field.

Looks like Severino will come back? I guess if he give you a few innings this year, it would be a big plus, and hope going into next season. He has been a forgotten man. If he comes back healthy next year, they have their 1 and 2 all set.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Looks like Severino will come back? I guess if he give you a few innings this year, it would be a big plus, and hope going into next season. He has been a forgotten man. If he comes back healthy next year, they have their 1 and 2 all set.
He's back. He'll come out of the bullpen the rest of the year.

We clearly have the better starting pitching in this 3 game series against Boston. Time for these players to step up. Far too many have spit the bit in big spots. These next 9 games will show us who these players are. Yanks should win each of these series. They go into the last 9 games with a 1 game lead in the wild card with 3 games against Boston and 3 games against Toronto. Tampa will in all liklihood be looking to rest players and set up their pitching for the playoffs in the last 3 games. If they don't make it into the playoffs they simply do not deserve it.

I think the reason why they are in their present position is losing to really bad teams. They were (relatively speaking) very healthy this year. They simply were not very good. There has been a significant lack of intensity and caring. Bad defense, Unforgivable bad mental mistakes, awful base running. Bad hitting with RISP. Inability to move runners over and get them in. The incredible number of GIDPs. These are issues for the offseason. I like that they are in this position because of fundamental flaws and bad attitude. It gives them this huge test. I think they will pass this test and make it to the postseason.

That being said ... here is my prediction: They will win 6 of last 9. Earn the FIRST wild card spot. They will win the wild card game. They will then lose to whomever they play in the following round. Unfortunately, I think that will be Tampa. We will be humiliated by a team that has a payroll about the same as Stanton and Cole. I hope I am wrong. Nothing would give me more joy than to see that douche Kevn Cash cry on TV and see the Yankees beat Houston in the ALCS. I just doubt that will happen.

I thought 78- 96 was a long stretch .... 2009 - ? may be even longer.

billyS

Reign of Terror
We clearly have the better starting pitching in this 3 game series against Boston. Time for these players to step up. Far too many have spit the bit in big spots. These next 9 games will show us who these players are. Yanks should win each of these series. They go into the last 9 games with a 1 game lead in the wild card with 3 games against Boston and 3 games against Toronto. Tampa will in all liklihood be looking to rest players and set up their pitching for the playoffs in the last 3 games. If they don't make it into the playoffs they simply do not deserve it.

I think the reason why they are in their present position is losing to really bad teams. They were (relatively speaking) very healthy this year. They simply were not very good. There has been a significant lack of intensity and caring. Bad defense, Unforgivable bad mental mistakes, awful base running. Bad hitting with RISP. Inability to move runners over and get them in. The incredible number of GIDPs. These are issues for the offseason. I like that they are in this position because of fundamental flaws and bad attitude. It gives them this huge test. I think they will pass this test and make it to the postseason.

That being said ... here is my prediction: They will win 6 of last 9. Earn the FIRST wild card spot. They will win the wild card game. They will then lose to whomever they play in the following round. Unfortunately, I think that will be Tampa. We will be humiliated by a team that has a payroll about the same as Stanton and Cole. I hope I am wrong. Nothing would give me more joy than to see that douche Kevn Cash cry on TV and see the Yankees beat Houston in the ALCS. I just doubt that will happen.

I thought 78- 96 was a long stretch .... 2009 - ? may be even longer.
Wow, who is this and what have you done with Steve?

Just joking but I agree with a lot of this.
Especially the part about losing to bad teams.
Getting swept by Detroit was unforgivable as well as their overall record against the Orioles.
Same with the Mets. The good Yankees team put them down without mercy, these Yankees didn't.
The sloppy play is on Boone, he isn't a leader.

Its in front of them, there for the taking. I've felt this team doesn't have any balls, I hope they prove me wrong.

billyS

Reign of Terror
When Steve says lack of intensity and fundamentals and caring? I agree, thats on Boone. It is on the players of coarse, but Boone is the one who lets it continue and should fix it.
Have fun tonight. If I knew you were going I would have lended you my Buck Dent jersey!

Yeah it is on the players. Mid season I would have shipped Torres to the minors for a few weeks for an attitude ajustment.

I would have worn it. Although I was never the biggest Dent fan, but I get what he did.
I would rather wear a Winfield, Nettles or Guidry jersey, if I had to wear one. First time all year I will be rooting for the Yankees, as I will be there with big time Yankee friends. My one friend pays for everything, rooms, dinner, drinks etc...He even pays for the woman when we go to Baltimore for a Yank game which is usually once a year.

GREAT game last night! The pitching matchups favor the Yanks in this series. I like our chances at winning one of the next 2 and winning this series if not sweeping. We have two games on Toronto. Today things look good. That could all go horribly wrong very quickly. I like Torres turning it around. If he plays strong through the end of the year - that can take some of the bite off of a terrible year for him.

Really looking forward to seeing Nestor pitching today!!

billyS

Reign of Terror
Got home and put the game on in the top of the 8th.
Stanton was clutch! What a blast, over everything!

I want to be positive but it's so hard to trust this team.
Was holding my breath with Chapman.
Which team is going to show up tomorrow?
The one that won the last five in a row and had a thirteen game winning streak?
Or the one that got swept by the Tigers and went 2-11 after the 13 game winning streak.

But it was great seeing that win today.

Correct BIlly .... I just don't understand this team. They face an absolute crap pitcher who has like a lifetime 5.00 ERA and the pitcher morphs into Sandy Koufax! Happened LOTS this year. You are watching the game and all of a sudden its the 5th inning and the Yankees don't have a hit!!! Then they get a rally going like 1st and 2nd nobody out and somebody grounds into a double play! Both of these things happened yesterday but they were able to turn it around with good pitching to keep us in the game and a monumentally clutch homer by Stanton (which has happened nearly enough). We should remember that Stanton is the guy who should have provided more of those moments.

THAT BEING SAID!

Great game and today we go for the sweep! Then we go to Toronto and we have to put the hammer to them. The pitching matchups on both sides say TBD. I think that series will be tougher than this one. We probably have Kluber and Gil then Cole. This is baseball and I still dread the bad Yankees showing up and getting eliminated. They are only 2 games ahead of Toronto. They can easily sweep us. As Mariano Duncan would say .... let's play to day and let's win today! Dat's it!

Status
Not open for further replies.