2021-2022 MLB Hot Stove Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOe Torre wasn't a "bad" manager but he certainly was not "great". He was exposed in 2004 .. burning the bullpen out and the idiotic decision to put the ball in Kevin Brown's hand for game 7 and then the even more stupid move of bringing in Vasquez. Torre took Wells out in 2003 series cause he said his back hurt - it was his last start! He was pitching fine ... leave him in till he can't go anymore. I have issues with Torre. LOVE Buck but it will not be a good fit. I can't see Buck tolerating that clown at short and I don't think they will want to let him actually manage. Buck will lose it once they tell him what to do.
First of all, you have no clue as to what would be a good fit for Showalter or the Mets. You wish you had that clown playing SS for your team.
I wasnt really talking about Torre being a terrible manager for the Yankees, although he was, I was talking about before he got there and was a terrible manager.

When he managed the Yankees, he always had the clipboard out which basically was loaded with statistics so I think he would use the analytics to his benefit. If Buck were to get the Mets job, it would make things really interesting.
Supposedly he said he is very open to adding analytics. He has obviously kept up with baseball and knows how things go today... I think he would use anything he needs to win.

First of all, you have no clue as to what would be a good fit for Showalter or the Mets. You wish you had that clown playing SS for your team.
I wasnt really talking about Torre being a terrible manager for the Yankees, although he was, I was talking about before he got there and was a terrible manager.
I have to get in on this Torre thing before it goes cold. He was an AWFUL manager prior to managing the Yankees. He fucked the golden goose when he took that Yankee job. That team was built by Stick, Watson, and Showalter. Torre was good at managing the clubhouse and the personalities, not the real game stuff. Like BillyS said, thats why he had Zimmer on his bench with him.

When the foundation of that team started to wear out/away after the run through 2001, he made some terrible in game decisions in key playoff spots. But not all his fault, because Cashman was the one then providing the talent, which he didn't.

Torre is an ok manager who rode the coattails to success that was laid out for him by Buck, Stick, and Watson.

I have to get in on this Torre thing before it goes cold. He was an AWFUL manager prior to managing the Yankees. He fucked the golden goose when he took that Yankee job. That team was built by Stick, Watson, and Showalter. Torre was good at managing the clubhouse and the personalities, not the real game stuff. Like BillyS said, thats why he had Zimmer on his bench with him.

When the foundation of that team started to wear out/away after the run through 2001, he made some terrible in game decisions in key playoff spots. But not all his fault, because Cashman was the one then providing the talent, which he didn't.

Torre is an ok manager who rode the coattails to success that was laid out for him by Buck, Stick, and Watson.
Yes, Again, Basically my point, where you spelled it out more. I agree with everything you said. The only thing about managing personalities, That also may be over rated, only because They had so many leaders, and so many, we can say, associate captains. I think that club house was so good that many of the players, ran the clubhouse and Torre didnt even have to do that. Not another knock on Torre, but more of a honest complement to a many leaders on that team.

OH LW - SOOOOOOO Angry!!!!! I watch most games and saw all of Showalter and all of Torre for many years every day. You have some CLOWNS on your team and that will not fly with Showalter. I watched him every day for 5 years I think that gives me some sort of "clue". Why do you feel it's necessary to be so antagonistic? and quite frankly - your shorstop SUCKED ASS all season. NO - I would not want his poor play or blue hair on my team or his booing of fans either, He and his suck ass playing and suck ass hair and suck ass attitude are ALL YOURS! Enjoy it! Maybe this year he will crack 240 while collecting $30 mill!
He was a beast up until last year. So let's wait to see what he does this year. At this point in time will fully agree not worth the contract going into effect next year.

Even your Yankees announcer Michael Kay was calling him " a stud" and thought the Yankess would have gone after him.

from the Bleecher Report....

Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reported the Mets have cut their manager list to three.
Buck Showalter, Joe Espada and Matt Quatraro have been invited back for a second-round of interviews by the team, per the report.
Showalter is considered the favorite and should be, if for no other than his experience in the role and his ability to build playoff teams. That new Met and future Hall of Fame pitcher Max Scherzer reportedly wants Showalter and has made it clear, per Mets beat writer for Sports Illustrated Pat Ragazzo, only ramps up speculation that the veteran skipper will be tapped to turn the Mets into a consistent playoff contender.
An old school manager, he knows how to handle media, which will be of great benefit in New York. Where he potentially faces issues is his ability to adapt to a front office that will very much want its hands in personnel decisions. Showalter, during his time in Baltimore, produced four winning seasons out of eight, a .500 record that will not fly in The Big Apple.
Espada has a history of interviewing for manager positions but never getting them while Quatraro has been a bench coach for the Rays.

I'm no Mets fan, but after the incredible run the Yanks had, I'm not as hateful of them as I had been in the past. That hatred began when they won the 1969 world series and the Yankees sucked so badly in the mid to late 60's which was my orientation as a Yankee fan. Not to mention that oddly enough, I was blessed to know the late great Mike Cuellar as a kid/teen and Mike pitched his eyeballs out against the Mets that series winning game one and a no decision in game four.

If Buck becomes the manager, I hope that they make it to the World Series.

I'm no Mets fan, but after the incredible run the Yanks had, I'm not as hateful of them as I had been in the past. That hatred began when they won the 1969 world series and the Yankees sucked so badly in the mid to late 60's which was my orientation as a Yankee fan. Not to mention that oddly enough, I was blessed to know the late great Mike Cuellar as a kid/teen and Mike pitched his eyeballs out against the Mets that series winning game one and a no decision in game four.

If Buck becomes the manager, I hope that they make it to the World Series.
He is NOW the NEW Mets manager!
Great move and hire FINALLY for this franchise and fan base.
If I was a METS fan I would be very happy for the early XMAS gift from Cohen.

It's great for baseball that Buck is back and the METS are pointing in the right direction finally.

Absolutely .... however ... the Yankees would NEVER hire Buck. Buck actually manages. Boone does not manage. He is told what to do. Cashman wants a yes man at the wheel to listen to what he and the analytics guys tell him to do.
Yeah in the post game interviews whenever the reporters would ask why a pitcher was or wasn't used in a certain inning or something, he would give it away saying "well the plan was always to" do this or that, you could tell he had no leeway to change things on the fly like managers would.

Just read a report (as I am sure most of you have) Yanks were looking at Matt Chapman to be a possible trade candidate to play SS. This guy is a gold glove 3B, probably 2nd best in defense only to Arenado. So lets make him a SS, why is it that Cashman and his crew always have to think they're smarter then everyone else in baseball?

Anyway, if any of you could have a player or two you would like to see added to the roster for 2022, who would they be?

For me:

Olsen - 1B
Merrifield - CF

Status
Not open for further replies.