2021-2022 MLB Hot Stove Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yankees had a lot of players who played below expectations last year. PLus now they have severino back. That's a big add. They have found some quality arms to fill the pen and rotation. I bet they will add one quality arm and a very good bat - either at short, 1B or OF. Then you have to figure that Urshella/Torres/Sanchez/Voit/Hicks/DJ will all bounce back. All of them can't suck again. right? They also need to address the attitude and leadership. I think you will see some bounce back and this team will be better than last year. I really am not looking forward to watching Hicks and Gallo in the outfield next year. If they both can remain healthy and have their best years .... it wil be acceptable - but that will most definitely NOT happen.
Those players you mention for the most part have all played over their career stats before the league caught up to them, or injuries derailed them. None were all stars or even marginal prospects, sans Torres. Yanks caught some lightning in a bottle and got cute thinking they would be cheap, premium players to cover up the other flawed moves and contracts. Well it all caught up with them last year.

The team needs a cleanse. Like you said, attitude, leadership. All vital areas that were suspect last year.

Those players you mention for the most part have all played over their career stats before the league caught up to them, or injuries derailed them. None were all stars or even marginal prospects, sans Torres. Yanks caught some lightning in a bottle and got cute thinking they would be cheap, premium players to cover up the other flawed moves and contracts. Well it all caught up with them last year.

The team needs a cleanse. Like you said, attitude, leadership. All vital areas that were suspect last year.
I think those guys are talented ... yeah - the injuries was a big part. DJ won 2 batting titles - he will be better, Torres was always very good - I think the swicth to 2B will take the pressure off and he will be better. Urshella had a couple of really strong years. Hicks is talented but my hateful rantings over his entire Yankee history prove I am no fan - but he is at least better than what we had last year in CF and will play more than zero games. I agree that they all won't have career years but they as a group wil be better than what we got out of them last year if they in fact stay and play. I agree - they need change to get over the top. But - I can't see a scenario where that group I cited perform worse than last year.

I am being optimistic.

billyS

Reign of Terror
MLB is really trying to control the narrative on this.

A few years ago they took over all the teams websites and put them all under the MLB banner.

So when I went to the Yankees site yesterday all that was there was Manfred's message and a note that the content will be different until the lock out is over. There will be no news on current players.

Cashman wouldn't say ANYTHING in his recent interview where he repels down the side of a building in CT. I really hope this work stoppage doesn't screw up the season.

MLB is really trying to control the narrative on this.
Of course they are.

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.”
- Hermann Goering

Not trying to compare Manfred to Goering, but if the shoe fits ....

billyS

Reign of Terror
Mets in on Showalter!

That could be a great move on their part if the players buy into his old school mentality and man up.

They'd be co favorites with the Braves for the division.

But it could also be a disaster if Lindor wants to insist on prancing around the field like a little faggot and disrespecting the game.
Remember Buck has a problem with Griffey wearing his hat backwards, what do think Buck will think about Lindor wearing two huge earrings and clown colored hair?

Then again Lindor wasn't a clown in Cleveland. Maybe it was just that whole Mets clown culture headed by Stroman that be bought into.

Subtract Stroman and Baez and add Buck and maybe Lindor goes back to acting like a man again and hitting .300 with 30+ home runs.

Mets in on Showalter!

That could be a great move on their part of the players buy into his old school mentality and man up.

They'd be co favorites with the Braves for the division.

But it could also be a disaster if Lindor wants to insist on prancing around the field like a little faggot and disrespecting the game.
Remember Buck has a problem with Griffey wearing his hat backwards, what do think Buck will think about Lindor wearing two huge earrings and clown colored hair?

Then again Lindor wasn't a clown in Cleveland. Maybe it was just that whole Mets clown culture headed by Stroman that be bought into.

Subtract Stroman and Baez and add Buck and maybe Lindor goes back to acting like a man again and hitting .300 with 30+ home runs.
Lol i can't fully agree with this post. However it is funny and i have always been a buck fan.
He always sets the team up then gets removed right before they hit pay dirt.

I think he would've won who knows if as many rings as Torre did but he would've won imo. The Diamondbacks another one , who knows what could've been.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Lol i can't fully agree with this post. However it is funny and i have always been a buck fan.

I think he would've won who knows if as many rings as Torre did but he would've won imo. The Diamondbacks another one , who knows what could've been.
What don't you agree with?

Asking as a member, not a moderator.

Buck would have won more than Torre. Torre was a shit manager his whole career, until he got to the Yanks with all tat talent... Then, like a miracle, he becomes a good manager. But would probable still be with the Yanks as a lifer, if they were run better at that time.

JOe Torre wasn't a "bad" manager but he certainly was not "great". He was exposed in 2004 .. burning the bullpen out and the idiotic decision to put the ball in Kevin Brown's hand for game 7 and then the even more stupid move of bringing in Vasquez. Torre took Wells out in 2003 series cause he said his back hurt - it was his last start! He was pitching fine ... leave him in till he can't go anymore. I have issues with Torre. LOVE Buck but it will not be a good fit. I can't see Buck tolerating that clown at short and I don't think they will want to let him actually manage. Buck will lose it once they tell him what to do.

I can’t see Buck wanting to manage again. He’s 65 and has a good gig with the mlb network.
he also Endorsed Mike Lowell as someone who Would be a good manager In a Interview with Chris Russo

Ive always liked Buck. Mets should have hired him 2 times already. He is not an analytic guy. Will that hurt him? Will he be open to adding that part to his coaching?
When he managed the Yankees, he always had the clipboard out which basically was loaded with statistics so I think he would use the analytics to his benefit. If Buck were to get the Mets job, it would make things really interesting.

When he managed the Yankees, he always had the clipboard out which basically was loaded with statistics so I think he would use the analytics to his benefit. If Buck were to get the Mets job, it would make things really interesting.
Analytics are just information. Its how you use that information and intertwine it with how you manage. Buck manages his way, not how some 24 years old Harvard Graduate or upper management tells him too. I wish he was the Yankees manager again. Boone is so spineless

Status
Not open for further replies.