2021-2022 MLB Hot Stove Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mets manager, Luis Rojas was interviewed by Yanks for the third base coaching position. The Yankees better get moving on a hitting coach. A few guys are already off the table, specifically Tim Hyers the former Red Sox coach who was snapped up by Texas. He did a great job for Boston.

I really hope the Yanks aren't in on Verlander.
Besides his age and the fact he is coming off TJ surgery;
He is going to cost a draft pick
I'm sure his uptick in "spin rate" when he joined the Astros was the same reason Cole had the same results.

The Yankees would be stupid to go there.
I want NO PART of Verlander. I read Castillo is back on the market, I would make a play for him via trade. Dark horse free agent pitcher signing, maybe Gray from Colorado? I'm not a fan, but I think Cashman has long had a thing for this guy. He could be laying in the weeds for him.

I don't think we have a shot at Ray or Scherzer. Yankees problem wasn't their starting pitching, it was the offense.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Read online that Matt Olsen from the A's is available and Luke Voit and Gleyber Torres supposedly could get the deal done for the Yanks...if that's all it takes I do it!
I'd like to see a block buster where they also get that left-hander Manea.

But I read Oakland might be holding off dealing players until they know if the new CBA is going to include a salary floor.

But I read Oakland might be holding off dealing players until they know if the new CBA is going to include a salary floor.
Will the CBA negotiations slow down the hot stove activity? I hope this isn’t a winter like a few years back where nothing
got done until just before spring training.

For us Yankee fans, I cannot recall a time where there were so many areas to make the team better and players who need to part way with.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I have a bad feeling about this CBA negotiation. I detest work stoppages.
Agreed.
I feel bad on two counts.
I think there will be a stoppage.
I think the final agreement will favor the small market clubs. Possible salary cap, or really punitive tax consequences for going over.

Reason for number two is of course the poor teams like Oakland and Tampa love taking the Yankees money and then beating them with it
But also mid west teams like KC and Cincinnati love taking the money and pocketing it

And of course you have big market teams like the Mets who don't want to spend like big market teams and a Cap gives them the excuse not to.

I thought he was decent. Good lefty on lefty guy
They really had no choice with Britton out for all of '22. I don't trust Rodriguez or Luetge much at all, I think they both pitched way over their ceilings last year. I liked the Luetge story, but he got more hittable in 2nd half of the season.

A lot of rumors out there, I just hope they don't go cheap and stick with Hicks in CF.
The thought of carrying Sanchez next year at 8 million plus sickens me.
Correa in pinstripes and 300 million doesn't work for me.

Olsen at 1B via trade - Voit, Torres, Gallo - Toss in German and a prospect for one of their starters Mantos or Manaea - Then we don't have to chase the big money free agents on the market like Ray (who I don't trust) and Verlander (who I don't trust either)
Semien at SS - Fuck Correa, Seager is nice but not at 250 million.
Marte in CF - Perfect fit for this team! Close second is Merrifield
Castellanos in LF - Great Bat, Great Def, would thrive in Bronx

There will be at least 4 new batters in the '22 lineup.

billyS

Reign of Terror
A lot of rumors out there, I just hope they don't go cheap and stick with Hicks in CF.
The thought of carrying Sanchez next year at 8 million plus sickens me.
Correa in pinstripes and 300 million doesn't work for me.

Olsen at 1B via trade - Voit, Torres, Gallo - Toss in German and a prospect for one of their starters Mantos or Manaea - Then we don't have to chase the big money free agents on the market like Ray (who I don't trust) and Verlander (who I don't trust either)
Semien at SS - Fuck Correa, Seager is nice but not at 250 million.
Marte in CF - Perfect fit for this team! Close second is Merrifield
Castellanos in LF - Great Bat, Great Def, would thrive in Bronx

There will be at least 4 new batters in the '22 lineup.
You're giving up too much in the Oakland trade although we agree on the targets.

Semien and Marte peaked last year, who ever gets them will over pay.

I'm not that high on Castellanos. I'd rather have Conforto.

You're giving up too much in the Oakland trade although we agree on the targets.

Semien and Marte peaked last year, who ever gets them will over pay.

I'm not that high on Castellanos. I'd rather have Conforto.
I don't mind Conforto at all, Nice lefty bat would play well in stadium. He better than Gallo.

We giving up spare parts on my proposed trade for Olsen. All Yankee fans, myself included need to get over the Torres hype. He hit those 38 hrs in a year with a juiced ball and hit 33% of them against the Orioles. He's a 12-14 hr type max. Either one of those MnM boys would slot in well after Monty and are better than Taillon.

Regarding Semien and Marte, even if they peaked and you can get them each at 3 years for a higher annual average salary, they better than Hicks and Wade/Urshela (at SS)

Even if Marte falls off to 280 batting average and steals 35 bases with A+ defense its worth it. He will likely score 100+ runs, he's not getting Paid to hit hrs, he's getting paid to set the table.

Semien, I agree with you, but if he came cheaper and with less years and still hit 25-30 hrs with a 270 average, with great defense, I am all in until Volpe/Peraza are ready. Can't see them paying 250-300 million for a SS when they have 2 highly regarded SS prospects. Semien or Segar could move to 3B if either were signed. I can't see Correa agreeing to move to 3B.

Which brings me to those guys, one will get moved this off season you would think. Possibly for an arm?

Lot to consider, but as a Yankee fan I am cautiously excited for the rebirth and getting some swag back in the Bronx!

I heard Semien is not a good defensive shortstop but I see some articles saying he is good. If he can play a good defensive SS I would prefer they go after him for a reasonable contract as opposed to a $300 mill for cheater Correa.

Status
Not open for further replies.