2021-2022 MLB Hot Stove Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of players can thrive outside of NY. Not sure about Odor ... but Paxton in Boston .... bet you he wins 15 games if he can stay healthy. I can almost guarantee Gary Sanchez would put up All Star numbers in Pittsburgh. Look at Sonny Gray. he's a good example.
Sanchez plain Sucks. He could bat cleanup in a local high school game and would still strike out a minimum of 2 times and a GIDP, as he jogs it out down the first base line.

Cashman has done moves late. I will wait to bash Cashman till the season starts. I am not the biggest fan of cashman but lets give him some time.
I'll say it again, outside of Scherzer, I would not have signed any of the FAs to those ridiculous contracts. Maybe, Kluber or Paxton but they are injury prone and getting older, so I can see passing on them. They must be sure of trading for Olson, because signing Rizzo should be easy. I'm sure he'll get five years from somebody and we'll lose out on him as well.

A lot of players can thrive outside of NY. Not sure about Odor ... but Paxton in Boston .... bet you he wins 15 games if he can stay healthy. I can almost guarantee Gary Sanchez would put up All Star numbers in Pittsburgh. Look at Sonny Gray. he's a good example.
Don’t worry. Paxton won’t stay healthy.

billyS

Reign of Terror
So what exactly are the issues they are disagreeing on? Luxury Tax? Revenue sharing? Other issues?
The owners have gained too much of an upper hand the last two CBA's and the players want to reverse it.

The average salary of players has been going down the past few years.

The Luxury Tax cap does not match the growth in revenue since 2005.

Players are upset with the way teams manipulate the service time, see Kris Bryant.

They want arbitration and free agency sooner.

They want non superstar veteran players treated better.

They should really consider a rebuild around Judge and Stanton. This team on paper is still barely above average and too reliant on their bullpen.
Doesnt matter what on paper means, they made the playoffs, so i wouldnt say they are a little above average. They were a playoff team, and they havent lost anyone.

Doesnt matter what on paper means, they made the playoffs, so i wouldnt say they are a little above average. They were a playoff team, and they havent lost anyone.
My point is that for a team that barely made the playoffs, and it took the final day to make it, their run differential was comparable to a team barely above .500. Strip the names from the baseball cards and focus on the offensive stats and you have a mediocre team with two sluggers that hit home runs and little more after that.

Yankees had a lot of players who played below expectations last year. PLus now they have severino back. That's a big add. They have found some quality arms to fill the pen and rotation. I bet they will add one quality arm and a very good bat - either at short, 1B or OF. Then you have to figure that Urshella/Torres/Sanchez/Voit/Hicks/DJ will all bounce back. All of them can't suck again. right? They also need to address the attitude and leadership. I think you will see some bounce back and this team will be better than last year. I really am not looking forward to watching Hicks and Gallo in the outfield next year. If they both can remain healthy and have their best years .... it wil be acceptable - but that will most definitely NOT happen.

My point is that for a team that barely made the playoffs, and it took the final day to make it, their run differential was comparable to a team barely above .500. Strip the names from the baseball cards and focus on the offensive stats and you have a mediocre team with two sluggers that hit home runs and little more after that.
I agree, the team is so flawed when you really break it down.
Too not address anything before the lockout screams of Cashman trying to get a few discount deals in free agency post lockout and look like the genius to the media. It's not about the discounted players, its about the right players. Not holding onto these prospects for too long. I understand not paying Seager, Semien, and some of the others. Those contracts are ugly and will be uglier in the latter years of them, but at least try to address the things that plague the team. You had a STUD athletic freak CF staring at you in Marte and they didn't even sniff him. You let the Tigers trade for Tucker Barnhart for next to nothing. He is a pretty good catcher, much better than Sanchez. This team still has ALL of the players that have not gotten it done. The spread, melange, mix, bouquet, doesn't work.

Gallo is a nightmare, I cringe watching his at bats. SO what he has 40 hr power. I take 20-25 hrs and a 280 average any day.

Hicks? I can't fathom we will have to rely on this guy for another season. Its criminal to think he will stay healthy for a full season.

Sanchez is trash, only thing I can think of is maybe management thinks because '22 will be a contract year for him he has a big year, the average rebounds and he runs out the balls he actually manages to put into play. Or if you don't tender him, then the asking price in trades for a catcher goes up.

The league has caught up to Gio, Voit, and Torres. Torres has done nothing since the year of those juiced balls. Voit is a delicate flower, love the grit, but dude can't stay in the lineup. Gio does not provide the power you need from a corner position.

DJ will get a pass for last year because it seems like he was dealing with injury all year. Lets see.

Britton needs to be replaced with someone serviceable. It's not Rodriguez and Peralta will turn into a pumpkin in '22, he pitched WAY over his career stats in '21.

Cortes should be traded ASAP, career journeyman. CAREER era over 4.6, his value will never be any higher.

Love Severino but the guy hasn't been healthy or pitched a full season in 3 years. He is going to be relied on as a number 2? Maybe Tananka will be available? He had an excellent year in Japan, makes you wonder how they came to the decision to take Kluber over him.

So MANY bad decisions on talent evaluation, free agents, free agent contracts, trades, and even player development.

Status
Not open for further replies.