2015 JETS A New Era Begins...................again!

I’m not as impressed as some of you in the 1st round of the draft.

1) “Sauce” is a good CB whose experience is man-press. The Jets are a zone defense. That’s going to require an adjustment. Development of skills. At best that’s not plug-and-play. He’s also apt to need bulk added if he wants to hit on an NFL level and that’s going to effect his 4.41 speed.

He’s not the A level prospect he’s being made out to be. Solid B out of the box with upside A level potential if he can put some muscle on and not lose speed, and adjust quickly to a zone scheme. He has good promise, but promise isn’t a sure thing.

2) This gets better. Wilson has very good 4.38 speed. He’ll add right out of the gate to improve the receiver corp, adding deep lanes threat. He is a bit size challenged at just under 6‘, and a tendency to drop balls. Still, opponent D’s are going to have to respect a legitimate threat which takes pressure off other things like an improved TE scenario playing underneath the coverage paying attention to the new long threat. B+

3) This could be the steal of the draft. It depends on whether Johnson is what he was for two years at Georgia or one year at Florida State. A solid Senior Bowl and NFL combine performance suggest the latter.

If that question mark about which Johnson is he and the lack of an explosive first step that caused him to fall down the list so he was still available at 26 overall goes the right way than then our Jets got a top ten pick for a two, five, and flip at third rounds. That would make Johnson a legitimate steal. Like Gardner a solid B with potential to be an A if the answers to those questions fall the right way.

The question that need answers cause me to give the first round a B overall rather than the A most other Jets fans are awarding. Upside potential for better though. I’m just not awarding it till it’s actually shown.
Interesting take on things. I am not a huge college football fan, so I defer to others when it comes to the college ranks.

So would you have NOT taken Gardner at 4? If not, who would you have taken?

Everyone loves Wilson at 10 but I was a bit miffed because he (in my opinion) is undersized. The Jets NEED a 6-3, 6-4" baller, Corey Davis has the size but is NOT the man. I liked London a bit more, who would you have taken?

The JJ pick is a no brainer at 26, the upside is fantastic. If it don't work out it didn't cost you that much.

I LOVE the Hall pick, this kid is a beast, has great hands, and can block. I think he fits well with Carter.

As a Jets fan I was surprised they took Ruckert with both TE's they just signed. But they think this kid has all the right mojo to be a hybrid type of TE, a Kittle or Kelce light so to speak. He was stuck behind 3 target hogs at OSU for his entire career. Both TE signings are only 2-3 years guaranteed, just the right amount of time for Ruckert to get comfortable with the scheme and learn from 2 of the better TE's in the game. I embrace that pick.

Wilson? Yeah, there were other ways to go.

Wilson may have been the best total package. He’s not the fastest available (I think there were six or seven WRs faster 40’s in the combine) but he’s faster than average. He’ll out run many CBs in the NFL. He seems to have cut skills and lane finding ability in crowds that not only make him open, but gave him good college YAC stats. If they translate well to the NFL he‘ll be one of those guys who can take a 7 yard catch to the house. He credits that to basketball skills that made him good enough to have had division one recruitment in that sport. He has character that could make him a leader in the clubhouse.

Wilson may not have been the best available in any one, single, category, but the totality of his circumstances meet several Jets team needs on what will be a young team.

So I think they made the right choice.

Gardner, again, a solid B so he’s going to be good. The question is he worth the Revis in his prime talk they keep throwing around. It’s possible. We aren’t going to know for awhile.

The rest we see similarly.

Revis in his prime, which was unfortunately a short one, was not just fly paper sticky on WR’s his ball hawking skills were outstanding as well. So you had a CB that not only shutdown any WRs he was one-on-one with, took the other guy’s WR1 off the playing board, but created turnovers. Is Gardner that guy? {shrugging shoulders}

The Jets PR folk sell him that way. Me, I think it might be a bit of over hype. They should let this kid come in and just have good to live up to, instead of setting expectations of greatness. Then if greatness comes along… yeah for us.

On today's Rich Eisen show, he interviewed Joe Douglas. Rich was girlishly giddy over this year's draft. On the surface, it sounds like the Jets had a fabulous draft. We'll know for certain in 2026 but for right now, I think the future looks very good for the Jets.

On today's Rich Eisen show, he interviewed Joe Douglas. Rich was girlishly giddy over this year's draft. On the surface, it sounds like the Jets had a fabulous draft. We'll know for certain in 2026 but for right now, I think the future looks very good for the Jets.
I‘ve lived with this Jets front office long enough to know they can snatch up any amount of greatness and deliver mediocrity.

My inner pragmatic realist has me preparing for “same old Jets” but hoping for better.

I‘ve lived with this Jets front office long enough to know they can snatch up any amount of greatness and deliver mediocrity.

My inner pragmatic realist has me preparing for “same old Jets” but hoping for better.
Looking from the outside. This staff looks a lot better.
Atleast they should be better than my Giants.

Looking from the outside. This staff looks a lot better.
Atleast they should be better than my Giants.
Agreed. As a Dolphins fan, the Jets look like they have the right coach and staff in place to be a respectable NFL team again. I really think in 2023, this team will be making some legitimate noise. This year is about gradual improvement.

And honestly, as a Dolphins fan, I'm sorry that you let Gase go, but that's another thread...

Anyone optimistic about this years squad? I am still not a Wilson believer, but I feel like they might finally have some solid offensive weapons to move the ball and make some plays.

Conklin is apparently having a great camp, been so long since we had a useful TE.

Anyone optimistic about this years squad? I am still not a Wilson believer, but I feel like they might finally have some solid offensive weapons to move the ball and make some plays.

Conklin is apparently having a great camp, been so long since we had a useful TE.
I think they should be competitive. Not as good as the Bill's but could land in second place.
If you don't want Wilson I'd trade you Danny dimes for him. :)

I think they should be competitive. Not as good as the Bill's but could land in second place.
If you don't want Wilson I'd trade you Danny dimes for him. :)
I can definitely see the Jets being the third place team ahead of the Patriots. I don't think my Dolphins are quite there yet to supplant the Bills for first place, but I do expect them to at least split the series with the Bills and (barely) sweep the Pats and Jets. Got my tickets for the Dolphins-Jets game at MetLife this year. Can't hardly wait!!!

I can definitely see the Jets being the third place team ahead of the Patriots. I don't think my Dolphins are quite there yet to supplant the Bills for first place, but I do expect them to at least split the series with the Bills and (barely) sweep the Pats and Jets. Got my tickets for the Dolphins-Jets game at MetLife this year. Can't hardly wait!!!
I think its a tough division on paper. I would NOT sleep on that Patriots QB.

You should enjoy an amazing show if Tua and Tyreek do what is expected of them.

I am optimistic. We have some real talent finally on both sides of the ball. We have something special brewing here. Wilson has all of the talent and tools needed. Can he do it? This year he will be better. Third year is always the telling year though. I am a believer though.