Your Favorite Beer

Oh, those type of beers have a time and a place. They're made so you can drink lots of 'em over a long period of time and the inoffensive flavor won't turn your stomach when you're fucked up on various other stimulants.

Last edited:
jersey said:
how about a beer from the oldest bar in ny, MCSORLEYS (dark of course ) and 3 at a time, you can hold the mustard however.
Even better is a mug of Mac Dark at the Corner Bistro with a bacon cheeseburger. You've got your good dive bar, your good burger, and your good beer all rolled into one. Oh, man, I'm going to get one right now!

ChuckUFarlie said:
Heineken? Fuck that Shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!
LOL. Yes, PBR. I never would have figured you for a Williamsburg hipster. If you don't mind me asking, how do you fit into those skin tight jeans, t-shirts and thrift shop blazers?

slinkybender said:
Everyone knows that a lot of the "micro breweries" aren't actually "breweries" but are actually "lots" made in the big breweries by the "big guys", right?
Yes and no. Most "Brooklyn" is made in Utica, including everything in a bottle. They do brew actual beer in the little brewery in Williamsburg, though. Their claim was that they supplied many local bars with the seasonal varieties that were too much of a niche market for Genesee (or whoever) made the big batches. You can also get a keg of the local stuff for yourself.

I don't have a problem with the "big guys," anyway. Brewing is very scalable--the size of the tank doesn't really matter as much as what goes into it. Generally, the Macro-Micros source and select the ingredients and, of course, it's their recipe.

The *real* difference with a solely small-batch operation (a "real" microbrewery, if you will) is that you can get the stuff fresh and, in my experience, most of these small brewers have the sense to keep it refrigerated on their premises, further keeping it from degrading. And the same is true of the beer that comes from the small batch part of a hybrid operation. Brooklyn beer at their brewpub is orders of magnitude better than the stuff that you get at your local Korean deli.

All else being equal, the fresher the beer, the better. I don't understand why people prefer European beer--the shit has been unrefrigerated for months between the brewery and the store. The sole exception are IPA's, which were conceived to survive the ****ney from England to India and still be drinkable. The reason that, say, Guinness tastes so much better in the UK or Ireland than here is that the stuff they make for export is designed to taste "acceptable" after it has degraded in transit.

The typical American beer tastes the way it does so it can survive being treated poorly and sitting on the shelf for a long time. Beer and bread are closely related (same main ingredients, similar preparation (mix, ferment, heat)). Bud, PBR. et al. is to a fresh, quality locally made beer as Wonderbread is to a fresh loaf from your local bakery. Many folks will swear that its just not a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the Skippy and the Wonderbread, just like sometimes nothing hits the spot like a Rolling Rock. For me, I'll take something "pretentious" nineteen times out of twenty.

Anyway, here endith the lesson. Set your flamethrowers on maximum

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
Was it de-vived? Seems to be gone now in NYC. The supermarkets don't sell it and the bars seem to no longer carry it, at least the ones I go to. A bar owner told me the distributor in Brooklyn was bought out.

i have seen it in a few bodegas.

come to think of it...maybe it was just an old 6 pack thats 20 years old.

lol.

Trivia Question For the Boys ???

which beer brand had the following advertising jingle ??

hint- started with an S.

" _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is the, one beer to have, when your having more than

one "

I doubt anyone, except for maybe Ozzy will get this.