Your Favorite Beer

justme

homo economicus
justlooking said:
I also like the 90-Minute IPA made by that Maryland brewery with the fish on the label. What is it? Dogfish Head, I think. Anyway, this is the one of the hoppiest beers you could imagine.
The 90-Minute IPA is pretty freakin' good. the 60-Minute has become my go-to beer. The 120-Minute is kind of a ponderous thing. That is, I'm not sure I like it... but it does make me think. Like LSD in the late 90's.

Old go-to beer (that is unavailable in Western PA): Fat Tire

New favorite summer beer: Flying Dog In Heat Wheat (the Brooklyn Weiss that JL mentions is tasty)

Old favorite summer beer: Paulaner Hefe

New favorite cheap-as-hell local brew: Iron City

Old favorite cheap-as-hell local brew: Lone Star (the national beer of Texas)

Favorite Mexican (what wine do you serve with Mexican food?.. Beer): Bohemia

Beer that I really wish I could give to my new friends but can't cause it's not avaliable outside of Houston: St. Arnold's Cask Conditioned Ale

Beers that I am embarassed to like, but will order anyways (as desert): Pyramid Apricot Ale, Magic Hat #9, Rogue HazelNut Brown Nectar, Rogue Chocolate Stout

Beer that I drink far too much of because people keep giving it to me for free: Yeungling

You know, I've tried a shitload of European stuff (Belgian Trappist, Czhec, and boutiquey (how do you spell that?) German beers) and have come to the conclusion that I just don't want to be bothered about thinking when I'm drinking beer.

All I want out of a beer is something interesting and yet simple.

I'll drink the complex stuff from time to time, but increasingly I just go back to the same couple of beers.

justme

homo economicus
justlooking said:
Right, right. I was quoting a sommelier. I asked him what wine varietal was best served with Mexican food and he replied, "beer." Since I (used to) eat som much Mexican food, it's important to have a favorite Mexican beer.

justlooking said:
I didn't know there was a Dogfish Head 120-Minute. Is it new this year? 10 years from now, are we gonna be trying the Dogfish Head Six-Month IPA?
It's been around for awhile. It's in that crazy price range for beers.

I'm not sure you can boil a beer for 6 months...

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Sarah Jessica Parker walks into a bar...
...and the bartender goes...
"Hey, buddy, why the long face?"

LOLOLOL. I love that one...

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
justlooking said:
In all the new Nueva Cocina restaurants in Mexico, they really want to serve wine with the food. (And a lot of those new Baja wines really aren't bad.) And it NEVER goes.
I think if you really have to pair wine with Mexican food you'd be best off with some kind of sweeter white... a Riesling or something.

But yeah, I could never understand why they try to push wine on you.

OK, I understand, but it still kind of annoys me.

Seasonal Beers from AB are Back

Taken from the BeerAdvocate Site;

Anheuser-Busch will kick off the second year of its popular seasonal beer series by bringing back Jack’s Pumpkin Spice Ale – a subtle, well *balanced copper ale with rich, full flavors and aromas of pumpkin, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and clove. Previously only available on draught, this seasonal offering will now also be sold in bottles.

“Beer’s versatility allows us to experiment with a variety of ingredients, making fall the perfect time to brew with pumpkins,” said Florian Kuplent, brewmaster, Anheuser-Busch, Inc. “When hand-crafting an ale like Jack’s, striking just the right balance between the distinct tastes of pumpkin and seasonal spices is key to bringing adults an enjoyable beer. Given what a passionate following Jack’s had last year among beer lovers, we’re excited about brewing it for them again.”

Jack’s Pumpkin Spice Ale is brewed with two-row, caramel and carapils barley malts and a blend of imported Hallertau and domestic Saaz hops. It is also brewed with seasonal spices and Golden Delicious pumpkins from the Stahlbush Farm in Oregon. This fall-flavored ale pairs exceptionally well with turkey dinners, teriyaki chicken, mild Italian sausages and pumpkin bisque. Jack’s Pumpkin Spice Ale can be best enjoyed in a tall, fluted glass, which allows the beer’s full aroma to funnel straight to the nose.

“We already knew Jack’s was a hit with beer enthusiasts when it was out on-draught, so making it available in bottles this year was an easy decision,” said Bruce Eames, innovation manager, Anheuser-Busch, Inc. “Now, Jack’s can be enjoyed on tap with friends at the neighborhood bar or at home in bottles during get-togethers like Halloween parties and Thanksgiving dinners.”

Available today through early December, Jack’s Pumpkin Spice Ale is brewed at the Anheuser-Busch Fort Collins, Colo., brewery and has 5.5 percent alcohol by volume (ABV). Jack’s Pumpkin Spice Ale can be found on draught at bars, taverns, clubs and restaurants, and for the first time in 12-ounce bottles in six- or 18-packs at grocery and convenience stores.

Last year’s quartet of seasonal offerings, Jack’s Pumpkin Spice Ale, Winter’s Bourbon Cask Ale, Spring Heat Spiced Wheat and Beach Bum Blonde Ale impressed adult consumers and beer critics alike. Spring Heat Spiced Wheat was awarded a gold medal in the wheat beer category at the 2006 North American Beer Awards while Beach Bum Blonde Ale took home a bronze in the blonde ale category.

It's almost October.

Should I run to the Fairway in two weeks and expect a Rheingold 12-pack to be there?

I just want to sit on my couch in my underwear, watch the Yankees in the post-season, and curl up with an old friend.