Your Favorite Beer

Ozzy said:
There's nothing pretentious about driving around the Czech Republic sampling the local pils.

It's when you do it in NYC.
Czechvar is an inexpensive, light bodied Czech beer that's available at any corner store in NYC. It's a good summer lawnmower beer. I forget if it's classified as a light Euro lager or a pils, but it's super drinkable.

thevenerablebede said:
Why is it pretentious to drink beer that you like?

For the same reason it is to drink Grey Goose. It doesn't taste good and people only drink it because of the packaging and because they think it makes them look good when they order it.

Why the fuck do some breweries use green bottles? What a moronic thing to do. I mean, how fucking hard is it to use brown glass instead of green? Idiots.

(Sorry. I really get pissed off about this.)

I hate to mention anything that's gotten plugged in the Times (makes me look like an amateur), but I've been drinking lots of Brooklyner Weisse all summer. Man is that stuff drinkable.

I also like the 90-Minute IPA made by that Maryland brewery with the fish on the label. What is it? Dogfish Head, I think. Anyway, this is the one of the hoppiest beers you could imagine.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Mr. Wet Wooly said:
It's best on tap.
I ran beer lines in some of the oldest drinking establishments in Manhattan and the Island. A word to the wise: NEVER DRINK DRAFT BEER. Those lines are never changed...the amount of gook and mucous-like substances in those lines and on those taps would turn your stomach. Cans and bottles are the way to go.

Gavy

justlooking said:
I also like the 90-Minute IPA made by that Maryland brewery with the fish on the label. What is it? Dogfish Head, I think. Anyway, this is the one of the hoppiest beers you could imagine.
Actually, Dogfish Head is Delaware based. I like the 90-minute IPA as well

gavycrav said:
I ran beer lines in some of the oldest drinking establishments in Manhattan and the Island. A word to the wise: NEVER DRINK DRAFT BEER. Those lines are never changed...the amount of gook and mucous-like substances in those lines and on those taps would turn your stomach. Cans and bottles are the way to go.

Gavy
The way I see it, it's pretty full of gook and mucous-like substances where the beer is going . . . .

Ozzy said:
For the same reason it is to drink Grey Goose. It doesn't taste good and people only drink it because of the packaging and because they think it makes them look good when they order it.
Well, in my case I'm having a couple of beers at home after work. I don't give a shit what anyone thinks. I want a beer that tastes good to me. I've been drinking Anchor Steam for over 30 years. And that's because of geography. Anchor was the local brew. Has nothing to do with "looking good."

I mean, some people are just pretentious, but some people know what they like. If something fancy is actually good, you can't be sure why someone is drinking/eating/wearing/using it.

justlooking said:
Ever tried their Raison D'etre? Rasin flavored. I thought the first bottle tastes much second than the second or third. Somewhat sweet. At 9% or so, it catches up to you.