2020 Kentucky Derby

I think Rich Strike just got beat by a better horse, and if he's ever going to win again, he needs to quit running against the heavy heads. In the old days, smart horsemen would run a horse like him in everyone else's Derby, against the secondary types. Some back then earned millions without having to run against the best of their generation.

RS is clearly a horse for course, and that course is Churchill Downs.

I think Rich Strike just got beat by a better horse, and if he's ever going to win again, he needs to quit running against the heavy heads. In the old days, smart horsemen would run a horse like him in everyone else's Derby, against the secondary types. Some back then earned millions without having to run against the best of their generation.

RS is clearly a horse for course, and that course is Churchill Downs.
I respectfully disagree.

He ran a 105 (Beyer) in the Travers which proves he can run outside of Louisville. He’s stamped himself as one of the better three year olds of this year’s very strong crop In that race. That race proved the derby was not a fluke.

Eric Reed has done a magnificent job training and managing his schedule.

He would have won Saturday’s race with a better jockey. Sonny Leon is at best, a mediocre rider. Plus he has a terrible record of suspensions and careless riding.

If he stays sound, he will be a terror as a four year old. Hopefully, we’ll see a new rider as well.

I respectfully disagree.

He ran a 105 (Beyer) in the Travers which proves he can run outside of Louisville. He’s stamped himself as one of the better three year olds of this year’s very strong crop In that race. That race proved the derby was not a fluke.

Eric Reed has done a magnificent job training and managing his schedule.

He would have won Saturday’s race with a better jockey. Sonny Leon is at best, a mediocre rider. Plus he has a terrible record of suspensions and careless riding.

If he stays sound, he will be a terror as a four year old. Hopefully, we’ll see a new rider as well.
And yet he still finished fourth in the Travers. They could have gone around again and he never would have caught Epicenter.

Look at his PPs, and you'll see a horse with two wins, and the other one was in a maiden claimer. This horse still has a lot to prove, I think.

As confirmed in the Bloodhorse online, Sonny Leon suspended 15 day, through October 29th, for Lukas Classic interference. Can you imagine, had Rich Strike won the race, he would have been DQ’d?

I see a crazy late blooming colt with a G1 win, G2 placing and over two million in earnings.
Yes, a crazy horse with a huge common streak. I know the type well from working at Belmont Park for 26 years.

Only time will tell with this horse. He could still be the real deal, but right now I'm more in the one hit wonder camp.

As for the suspension? Well deserved. Sonny might have won the race if he was more concerned about reaching the wire first. From my friend Richie Migliore, easily the best racing observer and commentator out there:

"After watching the Lukas classic numerous times @SONNYLEON1 cost Rich Strike the win by pulling him over to Hot Rod Charlie and putting his elbow into @Tyler_Gaff instead of going forward and driving to the wire. When does this BS stop? It’s horse racing not jockey racing. Enough"

As confirmed in the Bloodhorse online, Sonny Leon suspended 15 day, through October 29th, for Lukas Classic interference. Can you imagine, had Rich Strike won the race, he would have been DQ’d?
Leon is a second or third rate rider who wins at Belterra, he got a golden rail in the derby and took advantage by saving a lot of horse for the stretch. Reed remains loyal to Leon because of that Derby win, but now is the time to make a Jock switch for this Colt.

I know you love this horse for its pedigree, Keen Ice on top. You could be right about him having a crazy good 4 year old campaign. Keen Ice is also out of a Curlin, both he and Keen Ice had great campaigns after their 3 year old season.

RS is a beautiful horse, who I think might be just a smidge below the G1 elite. That being said, with a more savvy rider moving forward, RS could win some meaningful races. Epicenter is still horse of the year in the 3 year old division.

Yes, a crazy horse with a huge common streak. I know the type well from working at Belmont Park for 26 years.

Only time will tell with this horse. He could still be the real deal, but right now I'm more in the one hit wonder camp.

As for the suspension? Well deserved. Sonny might have won the race if he was more concerned about reaching the wire first. From my friend Richie Migliore, easily the best racing observer and commentator out there:

"After watching the Lukas classic numerous times @SONNYLEON1 cost Rich Strike the win by pulling him over to Hot Rod Charlie and putting his elbow into @Tyler_Gaff instead of going forward and driving to the wire. When does this BS stop? It’s horse racing not jockey racing. Enough"
Hilarious photo!

Yes, unless you're Greg Blasi! And notice how Sonny isn't doing the least thing to try to stop him. A totally green around horses me got bit right on the nipple by Coastal a couple of days before he beat Spectacular Bid in the Belmont Stakes, and I can't even begin to describe the pain. Or the bruise.

Leon is a second or third rate rider who wins at Belterra, he got a golden rail in the derby and took advantage by saving a lot of horse for the stretch. Reed remains loyal to Leon because of that Derby win, but now is the time to make a Jock switch for this Colt.

I know you love this horse for its pedigree, Keen Ice on top. You could be right about him having a crazy good 4 year old campaign. Keen Ice is also out of a Curlin, both he and Keen Ice had great campaigns after their 3 year old season.

RS is a beautiful horse, who I think might be just a smidge below the G1 elite. That being said, with a more savvy rider moving forward, RS could win some meaningful races. Epicenter is still horse of the year in the 3 year old division.
It was the hottest pace in derby history and Leon did everything right. We’ll have to wonder had Mo Donegal took the same path as Rich Strike, would he have won?

I agree that he is not an elite horse. Not even close. Epicenter is. Taiba may turn out to be.

Richie adds so much to the broadcasts and can listen to him all day reminiscing about his career. He was a fantastic jockey and one of the all time great apprentices.

Yes, unless you're Greg Blasi! And notice how Sonny isn't doing the least thing to try to stop him. A totally green around horses me got bit right on the nipple by Coastal a couple of days before he beat Spectacular Bid in the Belmont Stakes, and I can't even begin to describe the pain. Or the bruise.[/QUOTE

Yes of course, its just the reaction on his face and Leon's deer in the head lights look as to what was going on.

Yes, unless you're Greg Blasi! And notice how Sonny isn't doing the least thing to try to stop him. A totally green around horses me got bit right on the nipple by Coastal a couple of days before he beat Spectacular Bid in the Belmont Stakes, and I can't even begin to describe the pain. Or the bruise.
One of my harness trainers lost his thumb to a new horse entering his barn on the first day.

Mig is excellent on the air! I like Stevens too. They say it like it is.
Such a great sport that goes under appreciated.
Gary Stevens is an all time great in my book. Seems like the kind of guy who you would want to have a few beers with. Does a great job acting as well.

There is a recent movie out called "Jockey". It was great. Scott Stevens had a part in it. Check it out if you have the time.