2020 Kentucky Derby

I saw this coming so I won't repeat my prior post. Reed commented that he hoped for Rich Strike to race for years to come by giving the colt proper race between starts.
You happen to see the Peter Pan Stakes yesterday? Impressive romp by "We The People" - Might have won by 12 lengths - Have to think he goes to the Belmont Stakes. A horse to watch for sure.

He was really impressive - not sure the quality behind him and he relished the sealed track labeled good. Take nothing away from him. He earned a 103 beyer speed figure.

The horse that I was touting for the Preakness, Joe, opted for the James W. Murphy, a one mile turf race at Pimlico. It will be his first race on the turf but he is really bred for the turf horse so it makes sense.

He was really impressive - not sure the quality behind him and he relished the sealed track labeled good. Take nothing away from him. He earned a 103 beyer speed figure.

The horse that I was touting for the Preakness, Joe, opted for the James W. Murphy, a one mile turf race at Pimlico. It will be his first race on the turf but he is really bred for the turf horse so it makes sense.
I kind of figured "Joe" wasn't going into the Preakness after I saw the latest list of potential entries.
I will look at Joe on the undercard.

I'm all about Creative Minister in the Preakness.

I'm all about Creative Minister in the Preakness.
Interesting horse. He won on Derby day and McPeek wheels him right in to go. In both of his wins he was aided by perfect ground saving trips and ran down his rivals with relative ease and certainly could have gone longer. Outside of Epicenter, I think he's as good or better than the horses slated to enter. I don't like Deciding Vote who I assume will be the second choice in the betting, and not sold that Sacred Oath can compete with the colts.

You may be on to something!

Interesting horse. He won on Derby day and McPeek wheels him right in to go. In both of his wins he was aided by perfect ground saving trips and ran down his rivals with relative ease and certainly could have gone longer. Outside of Epicenter, I think he's as good or better than the horses slated to enter. I don't like Deciding Vote who I assume will be the second choice in the betting, and not sold that Sacred Oath can compete with the colts.

You may be on to something!
Epicenter will be hard to beat, he basically won the derby but had to run more than Strike.
Im looking forward to looking at the Past Performances after the post draw.

Is it me or is Brittany Eurton smoking hot?! Gorgeous spinner!!

So I got bad information - they just drew the Preakness:

1- Simplification 6-1
2 - Creative Minister 10-1
3 - Fenwick 50-1
4 - Secret Oath 9-2
5 - Early Voting 7-2
6 - Happy Jack 30-1
7 - Armagnac 12-1
8 - Epicenter 6-5
9 - Skippilongstocking 20-1

So I got bad information - they just drew the Preakness:

1- Simplification 6-1
2 - Creative Minister 10-1
3 - Fenwick 50-1
4 - Secret Oath 9-2
5 - Early Voting 7-2
6 - Happy Jack 30-1
7 - Armagnac 12-1
8 - Epicenter 6-5
9 - Skippilongstocking 20-1
Yes, watched the draw with my girl Brit announcing !
I will look at past performances, but what a weak field.
Epicenter will be bet down to 3/5

Yes, watched the draw with my girl Brit announcing !
I will look at past performances, but what a weak field.
Epicenter will be bet down to 3/5
There are a few tosses in here. I'm surprised that Brad Cox doesn't have a runner. The guy has a million horses.

I hope there is a moderate pace but it looks to be Epi and Deciding Vote controlling the pace. I like Creative Minister's inside draw.

There are a few tosses in here. I'm surprised that Brad Cox doesn't have a runner. The guy has a million horses.

I hope there is a moderate pace but it looks to be Epi and Deciding Vote controlling the pace. I like Creative Minister's inside draw.
Fenwick and Happy Jack are tosses for me. I'm tossing the filly too. Adding Skippy into my tri and super. Trying to figure out Armagnac deal. Ran with some good horses in California races, but results were bad.

I hope that Armagnac makes it difficult for Epicenter to cross over. I expect Deciding Vote to be taking no prisoners. If he yields and sits second to Epicenter, it may be a merry go round race.

If you can get Deciding Vote and Secret Oath off the ticket, there should be value.

Here's a thought that has not been brought up and may give Deciding Vote a bit of an edge. Jose Ortiz is riding Deciding Vote and his brother, Irad, is riding Armagnac. Under different circumstances I would assume that Armagnac would press the pace, but I'm not so sure now. He may try to keep Epicenter wide, so that the favorite may be forced to leave aggressively to get around him past the start.

Deciding Vote has so many advantages, perfect post, well rested, early speed and Chad Brown. And he won't be the favorite. Yet, with all that, I'm still playing against him.

Here's a thought that has not been brought up and may give Deciding Vote a bit of an edge. Jose Ortiz is riding Deciding Vote and his brother, Irad, is riding Armagnac. Under different circumstances I would assume that Armagnac would press the pace, but I'm not so sure now. He may try to keep Epicenter wide, so that the favorite may be forced to leave aggressively to get around him past the start.

Deciding Vote has so many advantages, perfect post, well rested, early speed and Chad Brown. And he won't be the favorite. Yet, with all that, I'm still playing against him.
It comes down to Armagnac or Deciding Vote for me in my exotics. I am leaning towards Deciding Vote.
Simplification, Creative Minister, Deciding Vote, Epicenter, Skippylongstocking - in a super
Creative Minister $50 Win/Place

I don't see Fenwick or Happy Jack competing. Tossing Secret Oath after a hard Arkansas and Oaks, I think she has run some tough races and bounces. Might not be the smartest approach because thats D. Wayne's backyard, just a gut.

I would love to see Jack Christopher off his monstrous return to the races this past weekend, but will more likely point to the Peter Pan. Brown also has Deciding Vote who I assume will be there. He was the pacesetter in the Wood Memorial when second to Mo Donegal.

The horse that I have a bit of interest in is a local horse aptly named Joe. He was the winner of the Federico Tesio which earned him a spot in the Preakness. Joe is as consistent as they come. I've seen most of his Maryland races and he's been right there in just about every start. Very game horse.

I can't wait to see the draw next week.
JOE!!

That was some ride Joel Rosario gave Epicenter. Steve Asmussen was clearly frustrated during the post race interview. That ride clearly cost him any chance of beating Early Voting. I hope that he enters in the Belmont with a different rider but I'm not so sure if he will enter.

Why did Happy Jack (11-1) and Fenwick (13-1) take money? They both should have been 50-1 or more.

Creative Minister could not have had a better trip but wanted no part of the final 1/8 of the mile. At 10-1, I have no regrets betting him.

Simplification was terrible.

For whatever reason, I kept referring to Early Voting as Deciding Vote. Deciding Vote is a turf horse that races on the Laurel circuit. I even got you to think that was his name. DV is actually a nice horse and add him to your stable alerts if he gets in at Laurel or Monmouth.

On to the Belmont!

That was some ride Joel Rosario gave Epicenter. Steve Asmussen was clearly frustrated during the post race interview. That ride clearly cost him any chance of beating Early Voting. I hope that he enters in the Belmont with a different rider but I'm not so sure if he will enter.

Why did Happy Jack (11-1) and Fenwick (13-1) take money? They both should have been 50-1 or more.

Creative Minister could not have had a better trip but wanted no part of the final 1/8 of the mile. At 10-1, I have no regrets betting him.

Simplification was terrible.

For whatever reason, I kept referring to Early Voting as Deciding Vote. Deciding Vote is a turf horse that races on the Laurel circuit. I even got you to think that was his name. DV is actually a nice horse and add him to your stable alerts if he gets in at Laurel or Monmouth.

On to the Belmont!
I saw the money on Fenwick and Happy Jack and almost bit.
Simplification was a no show.
Glad I didn't bet the Filly, a lot of people bet the story and not the horse. She ran 2 hard races back to back. Great horse though.

Early Voting, meh. Horse doesn't excite me. Epicenter I doubt shows up to the Belmont. I would think Travers for sure. Needs to overcome his "Seconditis."

Creative Minister had the lane in that final 1/8 but couldn't keep up. No regrets betting him either.

I am all in on 'Mo and the Peter Pan winner if they show up too Belmont!!

Do you ever go up to Saratoga??