2022 New York Mets

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTH did I just watch. That ninth inning was a mess. That was not a playoff caliber team out there. The rundown flub was the icing on the cake.

The saddest thing is that Max has become Jake 2.0 when it comes to run support. The Nats shut them down nicely after that lone homer.

Let's get some sleep and regroup to fight another day tmw. LFGM

Mets team to beat in NL.
The Nats must've heard you. That was ominous timing in your post.

Mets have 28 games left to play. Continuing their pace and considering their opponents, they should win at least 18. That would give them 103 wins, the second best total in franchise history.

That should easily give them at least a wild card berth. But I'm hoping it will be enough for the second seed spot and a bye in the first round playoffs.

What do you think will be their final record and seed spot?

I think they end up with a wildcard spot. Unless they can reach somewhere around 106-108 wins
Not if they continue to play like they did these last two games. We should be feasting on bottom-dwellers like the Nats.

The team looks tired. The hitters have cooled off. The fielders are blowing plays they've made all season. The bullpen can't seem to keep us in the game.

Carrasco may need more time to recover but we are running out of time. Maybe he'll return to form in his next start. Maybe when some of the others return from the IL and rehab, it will jumpstart the team.

We need to sweep the Pirates and build up some momentum again. LFGM

Edit: To be clear, I was replying about the win total you hoped for. I have full faith we will capture a wild card at least. We're up over 10 games in that spot at the moment.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Not if they continue to play like they did these last two games. We should be feasting on bottom-dwellers like the Nats.

The team looks tired. The hitters have cooled off. The fielders are blowing plays they've made all season. The bullpen can't seem to keep us in the game.

Carrasco may need more time to recover but we are running out of time. Maybe he'll return to form in his next start. Maybe when some of the others return from the IL and rehab, it will jumpstart the team.

We need to sweep the Pirates and build up some momentum again. LFGM

Edit: To be clear, I was replying about the win total you hoped for. I have full faith we will capture a wild card at least. We're up over 10 games in that spot at the moment.
I think part of the problem with that Nats series was just hangover from taking 2of 3 from the Dodgers.

While the Dodgers were on cruise control, something Torre's Dynasty Yankees always did in September, rest players etc, the Mets were all in with something to prove.
They expended a lot of mental and emotional energy in that series and had nothing for the Nats.
Give the Nats credit for being spunky and taking it to the Mets, thw highest payroll in MLB history!

Sometimes in September the teams you don't want to play are the young teams with nothing to lose. They play loose, exciting baseball.
The Nats picked up some good young talent and they might be spoilers for both the Mets and Braves.

Oh, and I'd worry about Scherzer. Same left side that kept him out for two months.
If you make someone the highest paid pitcher in the history of the game you want him taking the ball as often as possible.
At 38 and a history of injuries can you count on that?

With Atlanta in their rear view mirror, the Mets aren't cruising to an easy pennant win and better step it up down the road. The second seed spot is a big deal in this new playoff format.

Looking for a sweep of the Bucs to keep the Braves at bay. LFGM

billyS

Reign of Terror
I hate doubleheaders. No matter how much better you are than the other teams it's just harder to win twice on the same day.

Plus it drains the bullpen.

I'd rather play one a day, much easier to sweep a series.

This slide has gotten serious. Nothing is working well. Starters, relievers, hitters are all in a funk. A big tell to me is that most of their runs the past week have come on homers. That has not been the way they've been winning all year.

Hopefully, they keep up their doubleheader streak and at least split tomorrow. Can Jake be the stopper?

billyS

Reign of Terror
Where are the other Mets fans here? The Yanks thread has comments even when they are slumping.
Good question and I have a theory on this.

I think Mets fans just stop following the team when they go bad or aren't dominant.
See @frogger54 comment.

I remember in 2015 when they made that run all of the sudden I saw people posting on Facebook that I had no idea were Mets fans.

Also that year guys at work who never talked about baseball were all of the sudden excited and coming out as Met fans.

There was this meme going around of this black dude wearing a Mets cap crawling out of a sewer with the caption "Mets fans be coming out of hiding now".

Of course this is just a generalization but I think there is much truth to it.

I just think Yankees fans stick with the team like I did in the eighties even though it was some lean times while Mets fans abandon ship.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I think things like last year's collapse, the 2006 and 2007 collapses ( 7 game lead with 17 games to go) are still in people's mind, reinforced by the media.

Relax. They are making the playoffs and if the two studs are ready to go they are going to be hard to beat.

Wouldn't you rather have Alonzo and Lindor slump now than in October?

Oh, and I'd worry about Scherzer. Same left side that kept him out for two months.
If you make someone the highest paid pitcher in the history of the game you want him taking the ball as often as possible.
At 38 and a history of injuries can you count on that?
You jinxed Max. He's on the IL.

The second inning today gives me concern. On a good day when the Mets were hitting on all cylinders, they would have gotten two runs in with a two out rally. Instead, Nimmo flied out here.

And Alonso batting second tells me Buck is trying to shake things up after sticking with a set order for the regulars most of the season.

Was talking with a Yankees fan when the Mets hit the BTB homers and he says to me, "Who do they think they are, the Yankees?" He isn't wrong. The long game has been how we've been scoring the last week.

At least we kept up the streak of not losing more than 3 in a row. And we're back in first by ourselves, if only for a few hours.

We're back. Any day when we stake Jake to 4 runs is a good day. That was the Mets we've come to know and love. The bad calls by the home plate ump that went against the Bucs certainly helped with that walk to Pete being the biggest gift.

It'll be good to leave Pittsburgh with a DH sweep. Let's keep the faith.

Perry, YOU are the jinx! Everything was going okay in Queens until you reappeared!!:mad:
Lmao. You're living proof that trolls are good luck. You come in here today saying the Mets are on the verge of a breakdown and they turn it around. Lindor breaks out. They bunch hits. Pete gets a lucky walk and two hits. Canha continues his hitting.

My hats off to you for turning it around. Just don't expect that unlike the trolls we had as kids no one here will be rubbing your head or belly.

On to Miami after a well-deserved day off.

Status
Not open for further replies.