The most overrated band in History....

Meddle was a great album by Floyd because it signaled a shift in music direction for the band away from the psychedelia and toward the jazz/blues fussion of their "concept" album which they have become renown for. (Just listen to the first track and thru to the last and you can actually here the shift in direction they were taking). While Animals was pure genius and never got the airplay it deserved, WYWH was and is my favorite because a) it was an ode to friend(s) no longer here, and b) was the last true group effort by the band before Waters "Wall" of self-indulgence.

And for what its worth, Bonzo died Sept 25, 1980, not 1979.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Ozzy said:
Wish you were here was Waters and Gilmours ode to Sid Barret who had done a few hundred too many acid trips and suffered a break down.
Syd actually visited the studio while they were recording the album. Unannounced

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
billyS said:
Credit should go to Ozzy since he mentioned it first.

Hey, Gavy....hitting the Fiche bars tonight?
Hey, Billy...a bunch of us are hitting Otro Rollo in Astoria. Will be holding court between 2 and 2:30. Actch you out there, buddy...

Gavy

Ozzy said:
You know what.... I already know you don't and you didn't.

It's about a space traveler who lands on a planet and finds a guitar in a cave. He starts playing the guitar and thru that understands the history of this planet (supposedly its earth in the future... 2112).... And he learns that at some point, all music was banned, all instruments destroyed, as well as all literature and free speech. The planet became somewhat a Big brother is watching you society and then became extinct. Once you know the story and listen to how it's put together it usually changes people opinion of the album.... but prob not yours.
Quite simply, this is a band I truly miss the appeal of. Some people I know love them, but if I hear them on the radio I could not turn it off fast enough. It's that high pitched wailing that really get's my goat.
I'll admit my biases : I pretty much do not like "prog-rock". My personal faves : Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Hendrix, Clapton, Elviss P & C,
Clash, Prince,Bruce. My choice of the most underrated band of the last 30 years : J Geils Band

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Ozzy said:
Speaking of concerts.... Hard to consider those you listed when I've seen them all... Floyd (3 Wall Shows in '80, '86 and the last tour 94?), Zeppelin in '77 had tickets to the 79 show before bonzo dropped dead, The who in '77 and 79 w/moon, shea in 82).. How about Black Sabbath with Van Halen in 79?. Guns and Metallica '92, The Ronnie Lane bennefit, Atlantic records 40th when Zeppelin reunited, Live AID not to mention everyone I ever saw in a club the Ramones about 20 times in CBGB's alone..... Pretty much seen them all since the late 70's. I started young when my brother took me to see Zeppelin and the Who shows when I was 12 or 13.
Awesome review on Floyd. Yeah, I was a about 12 years too late to see any of those great "GODS" of rock play. Was at the Faith No More/Metallica/Guns show at Giants Stadium (right before Montreal, I believe) and Metallica put of a nice show. Thought Guns wasn't up to snuff, though.

Was at the original Monsters of Rock in '88. That's when somebody handed me the Queensryche "Mind Crime" tape and told me to destroy it (wow, I was just a kid).

I guess somebody should start another thread dedicated to awesome concerts. I liked King's X at Malibu back in '94. They put on an awesome show.

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Lou Grant said:
And for what its worth, Bonzo died Sept 25, 1980, not 1979.
Now is it true Zeppelin would go on at 8 or around there and play for almost three hours. How awesome is that? Damn, what a shame...

It's kind of wierd knowing that Bonham was actually alive whne Nystrom scored that goal on May 24, 1980. That is kind of my own demarcation line; my own little BC and AD, if you will.

Gavy

billyS said:
Syd actually visited the studio while they were recording the album. Unannounced

And the ruffling around you hear during the beginning of wish you were here is indeed Syd in the background. Waters felt it was appropriate to leave in the recording.

gavycrav said:
Now is it true Zeppelin would go on at 8 or around there and play for almost three hours. How awesome is that? Damn, what a shame...

It's kind of wierd knowing that Bonham was actually alive whne Nystrom scored that goal on May 24, 1980. That is kind of my own demarcation line; my own little BC and AD, if you will.

Gavy

Most of those bands played well over 2 and oft 3 or more hours.

I was at all those monsters concerts from '88 till 93?

Guns n Roses would take the stage when they felt like it.... if they felt like it. Saw them in the LA forum and they took the stage at midnight and played till 3am.

Ozzy said:
Most of those bands played well over 2 and oft 3 or more hours.

I was at all those monsters concerts from '88 till 93?

Guns n Roses would take the stage when they felt like it.... if they felt like it. Saw them in the LA forum and they took the stage at midnight and played till 3am.
Saw G n' R at the Garden, December 1991. They made us wait over 2 hours after the opening act (Soundgarden) left the stage. Was a good show, though

Last edited:
gavycrav said:

Zeppelin as with most of the greats rarely had an opening act back in the days.... the stones had GnR open and the who had the Clash etc... but that was later....

What band opened for Zeppelin on their final US tour....

jjhunsecker said:
Saw G n' R at the Garden, December 1991. They made us wait over 2 hours after the opening act (Soundgarden) left the stage. Was a good show, though

I was at that one.... the took the stage it was almost 11pm.. they finished up it was after 1. They usually made the wait worth it though. I think that was the show that forced the Garden to inact their midnight rule..... You gots to be off the stage by midnight.

Two more bands vastly underrated and who get no respect by the masses, the media or radio play... but by and far the most respected by those who loved metal.... Iron Maiden and Juda Priest. After Sabbath, they are the kings of metal and never a bad show between them.

Eh... So Halfords a fag.... I could care less when he's screaming The Ripper. Sad Wings of Destiny..... very underrated album.

nirvana and bands like soundgarden and pearl jam supposedly started the grunge revolution. the revolution started way before then until mtv killed it and all mainstream music since.