The most overrated band in History....

As far as I am concerned that title belongs to the Rolling Stones. I just don't get it. They are a semi-decent rock band at best. My buddy is a Stones fan and goes to shows all the time. The Stones aren’t redistributing their wealth. They routinely rip fans off for $300 a ticket. That is fucking unreal. The super bowl performance was embarrising and one of the worst things I have ever seen. Am I the only one who feels that way?

JL just spit out his gin.....

Well they are all past the retirement age so their performance these days is a bit skewed. I never liked the Stones... but most overrated? If Zeppelin, the original Floyd or of course the Beatles were still around... They'd all be able to charge twice what the Stone can and sell out three times as fast.

Now for overrated...

Nirvana

One decent album with one catchy song that consisted of na-na-na-na....na-na-na-na.... When Weird Al's version is considered as good if not better.... You suck.

Absolutely horrible almost unlistenable second album....

And people wonder why he blew his head off.

It should be noted that the 'drummer' (Dave Grohl) has since released 4 or 5 albums... all great chart topping albums and loaded with fantastic songs better than the best Nirvana ever put out.

iusedtobeone1 said:
As far as I am concerned that title belongs to the Rolling Stones. I just don't get it. They are a semi-decent rock band at best. My buddy is a Stones fan and goes to shows all the time. The Stones aren’t redistributing their wealth. They routinely rip fans off for $300 a ticket. That is fucking unreal. The super bowl performance was embarrising and one of the worst things I have ever seen. Am I the only one who feels that way?
We're all entitled to our opinions, but that's way off the mark. The Stones are still one of the greatst bands ever. Even today, they are unparalled as a live act. And their last album "A Bigger Bang" was very good, considering that they've been at it for 40+ years.

Now for overrated...

Radiohead
Rush
Yes
Genesis

Rush ?!!!

Rush is by far the most underrated band ever.
Genesis? If you mean Phil Collins Genesis, then ok, but Old Genesis(Peter Gabriel) is great.

The Stones "were" great....not anymore.

Overrated......

U2

I would never put Rush, U2 or Yes on any overrated lists.

Rush and Yes cause they don't even get their due so how can they be overrated....... both should be R&R hall of famers. U2... maybe not that great in the last decade... but they owned the 80's

I know I haven't posted in the a long time but there is no way Nirvana is overrated....the killed the hair metal of the 80's and made one of the best acoustic albums....

Black Sabbath and Blondie are very overrated

Nirvana isn't but Sabbath is.... You're comparing a band with two albums which you rarely hear on the radio anymore to a band with almost 20 whose music is as relevant and gets even more airplay today then it was 35 years ago. Not to mention that Sabbath (along with Zeppelin) pretty much infuenced every hard rock/metal band.... ever.

If you don't like metal that your choice... But there were some hard rock/metal bands that are not ever to be compared with a one hit wonder like Nirvana.

btw... Nirvana didn't kill hair bands.... The hair bands were outselling everything in the late 80's cept Michael Jackson and Madonna.

MTV and corprate america killed the hair bands cause they thought they could sell grunge and flannel better than leather and spandex, and trouble makers on drugs. They also overrated Nirvana and the whole alternative music scene and they're ability to remain drug and trouble free.... compared to some of the alternative bands.... Ozzy Osbourne looked like a fucking saint. And alternative music didn't last too long did it.

Last edited:
Nirvana made 3 albums before Kurt's death:

Bleach
Nevermind
In Utero

and 2 albums were released after he died:

MTV Unplugged
From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah

To each his own but I'd hardly call them overrated.

btw.... The topic of the thread is OVERRATED BANDS..

When a band like Sabbath or Kiss for example don't even get any credit, most will never admit to liking them or even knowing a single song, or think they're nothing but a bunch of long haired leather wearing devil worshipers.... How can they be overrated?

Now Nirvana is oft compared to the Beatles and Kurt Cobain oft compared on a genius level to John Lennon. Well those who make those comparisons should be shot for stupidity. That is an example of "overrated".

Ozzy:

That's your opinion. I happened to have seen Nirvana perform several times and my opinion is that they are not overrated.

And Sabbath doesn't get any credit? What about this:

THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES THE INDUCTEES FOR 21st ANNUAL INDUCTION CEREMONY

CEREMONY WILL BE HELD MONDAY, MARCH 13, 2006 IN NEW YORK
New York, New York, November 28, 2005 - The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation today announced its 2006 Inductees.

The following artists will be inducted at the Twenty-First Annual Induction Ceremony, which will be held Monday, March 13th 2006 in New York at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel:

Black Sabbath – (Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne and Bill Ward) Formed in Birmingham, England in 1968, Black Sabbath stands as the premier purveyors of heavy metal. Enormously influential, the group’s songs dealt with black magic, Satanism, apocalypse, death and destruction.

from All Music Guide:

Black Sabbath has been so influential in the development of heavy metal rock music as to be a defining force in the style. The group took the blues-rock sound of late '60s acts like Cream, Blue Cheer, and Vanilla Fudge to its logical conclusion, slowing the tempo, accentuating the bass, and emphasizing screaming guitar solos and howled vocals full of lyrics expressing mental anguish and macabre fantasies. If their predecessors clearly came out of an electrified blues tradition, Black Sabbath took that tradition in a new direction, and in so doing helped give birth to a musical style that continued to attract millions of fans decades later.

also from All Music Guide (note Black Sabbath reference):

Prior to Nirvana, alternative music was consigned to specialty sections of record stores and major labels considered it to be, at the very most, a tax write-off. After the band's second album, 1991's Nevermind, nothing was ever quite the same, for better and for worse. Nirvana popularized punk, post-punk, and indie rock, unintentionally bringing it into the American mainstream like no other band before it. While its sound was equal parts Black Sabbath (as learned by fellow Washington underground rockers the Melvins) and Cheap Trick, Nirvana's aesthetics were strictly indie rock. They covered Vaselines songs, they revived new wave cuts by Devo, and leader Kurt Cobain relentlessly pushed his favorite bands -- whether it was the art punk of the Raincoats or the country-fried hardcore of the Meat Puppets -- as if his favorite records were always more important than his own music. While Nirvana's ideology was indie rock and melodies were pop, the sonic rush of their records and live shows merged the post-industrial white noise with heavy metal grind. And that's what made the group an unprecedented multi-platinum sensation. Jane's Addiction and Soundgarden may have proven to the vast American heavy metal audience that alternative could rock, and the Pixies may have merged pop sensibilities with indie rock white noise, but Nirvana pulled at all together, creating a sound that was both fiery and melodic. Since Nirvana was rooted in the indie aesthetic, but loved pop music, they fought their stardom while courting it, becoming some of the most notorious anti-rock stars in history. The result was a conscious attempt to shed their audience with the abrasive In Utero, which only partially fulfilled the band's goal. But by that point, the fate of the band and Kurt Cobain had been sealed. Suffering from drug addiction and manic depression, Cobain had become destructive and suicidal, though his management and label were able to hide the extent of his problems from the public until April 8, 1994, when he was found dead of a self-inflicted shotgun wound. Cobain may not have been able to weather Nirvana's success, but the band's legacy stands as one of the most influential in rock & roll history.

gg2002 said:
Rush is by far the most underrated band ever.
Genesis? If you mean Phil Collins Genesis, then ok, but Old Genesis(Peter Gabriel) is great.

The Stones "were" great....not anymore.

Overrated......

U2
Have you heard " A Bigger Bang" ? One of the best albums of 2005.

Rush ? I can't take that banshee wailing. To each his own, I guess

The R&R HOF never wanted to put Sabbath in their silly shrine. They were forced to because of Ozzy's popularity the last few years and when people started asking the Hall why they wouldn't consider Sabbath... A rep for them said never in a million years. Ozzy replied that they can go fuck themselves and to remove he and Sabbath from any nomination lists.... Two years later the hall caved to the public outcry that their shrine was a sham not because of just Sabbath. But because they nominated bands like the Clash and Ramones and over looked the originators of the punk scene like the Sex Pistols...... who btw also told the Hall to go fuck themselves when they nominated them this year.... the year of the "over-looked" as Rolling Stone magazine called it.

Ozzy and Sabbath showed up to the induction this year... The Sex Pistols and John (Rotten) Lydon skipped it.

And I hate to continue to be the bearer of this news... But Nirvana is an overrated band. Two albums, one good and one horrible and an accustic record that MTV produced.... only because a band named Tesla had a succesful accustic album......... does not a legend make. If Nirvana is so great... than where do the Foo-Fighters (a much much better band) fit into the scheme of things.

The biggest career move was Cobain blowing his head off before things went south. If he were around today he'd be sitting home with a band that couldn't sell out the fucking Ritz much the same as Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam is.

btw... I hate Pearl Jam with a passion, but they were twice the band Nirvana was.

jjhunsecker said:
Have you heard " A Bigger Bang" ? One of the best albums of 2005.

Rush ? I can't take that banshee wailing. To each his own, I guess
What about every album they made from 1973 (Fly by Night) till 1985 (Moving pictures).... or 2112... still the biggest selling concept album ever.... cept for Sgt Pepper, the Wall and Dark Side of the Moon.

I think Rush just recently got on the list of bands or acts who have sold more than 100 million units. That list is only about a dozen or so... The Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Madonna, U2. Theres a few more but can't think of them now.

Last edited: