" so, why don't you give me your number?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Originally posted by justlooking
I certainly do my utmost to disabuse all strippers that I deal with of any notion that their time and presence by themselves are worth ANYTHING monetarily at all.
You don't even want to hear about Japanese "hostess clubs" I guess. I am sure that Tokyo has more hostesses than NYC has strippers by a really huge margin.

-Ww

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
There is some irony, I think, in a trial lawyer decrying the artificial levels of worth that at which stripper is socialized to value her time.

(Not that I don't agree with him 100%)

Anyway, it's funny you should have said that. Because until I realized I was too bored to say it, I was going to say the following to a Stripper Friend who argued that, since I don't particularly like dances, I should pay "friends" like her just for hanging out when I visit them in their clubs.

I bill by the hour. Like them, if a friend comes to visit me at work, he takes me away from money-making pursuits. But it would never occur to me to tell a friend who dropped into my office for a chat that he should be paying me my hourly rate. I would either say I didn't have time to chat (if I didn't) or, if I did, look at it as lost work time.

(I was right: that was too boring to say.)

justme

homo economicus
I'm sure you know that although I bill by the hour, it's not my time (and nothing else) that I charge for.
I wasn't making a comment about whether or not you added value. I was making a comment questioning the relationship of market to actual value.

I mean, strippers do add some value in talking to you.

Just imagine a world without stripper chit chat.

But it would never occur to me to tell a friend who dropped into my office for a chat that he should be paying me my hourly rate. I would either say I didn't have time to chat (if I didn't) or, if I did, look at it as lost work time.
Are you saying that the strippers do (or should) consider you a friend and not a walking ATM with a penis?

god......you are deluded.......

I meant to add, jseah, that of course the point of the whole thing is that what she's REALLY saying is that they aren't really my friend. But I thought it was too obvious to even say.

Last edited:

Wwanderer

Perhaps not as simple as all that.
If I said or implied simple, I did not mean to. Japanese nightlife, including but not limited to hostessing, is intricately elaborated and differentiated beyond belief or imagination (at least mine). In a way you could say that it is a general feature of Japanese culture; you take something basically simple, like a bar or a 17 syllable highly structured/constrained poem, and then explore the endless variations and complexities that you can manage within its limits. The Salon articles you linked to are good but give only a glimpse of the different sorts of experiences you can easily find.

Still, the basic pattern or the hostess bar is that you pay an hourly rate for one or more hostesses company and nothing more.

-Ww

Last edited:
Originally posted by Wwanderer
In a way you could say that it is a general feature of Japanese culture; you take something basically simple, like a bar or a 17 syllable highly structured/constrained poem, and then explore the endless variations and complexities that you can manage within its limits.
...The subtleties lacking in the lives of most Americans.

Though we all have our moments. Like last week, after a night of heavy drinking, I woke up next to some naked beastly woman. Being the sensitive man I am, I caressed her and explored the endless variations and complexities of the moles and hair covering her entire back.

Originally posted by danger-us
Though we all have our moments. Like last week, after a night of heavy drinking, I woke up next to some naked beastly woman. Being the sensitive man I am, I caressed her and explored the endless variations and complexities of the moles and hair covering her entire back.
We are a unique group.

Wwanderer

Originally posted by Harlot
And is paying for mere company really wrong? I don't think it is. Just because JL won't pay for it doesn't mean the market doesn't exist
Oh, I have no problem with hostess bars at all. I was just teasing/taunting/reminding jl that something he finds so absurd and objectionable is a major entertainment industry in some (sophisticated, First World) places. Hostess bars and kareoke clubs were essential to me in raising a substantial sum of money in Japan a number of years ago. (The kareoke bar part wasn't worth it though; they are unspeakable evil in my book. Drinking enough to develop beer goggles is one thing; encouraging people to drink so much that they believe that they can entertain and impress a room full of strangers by out-of-tune crooning of syrupy love ballads at the top of their lungs is quite another.)

-Ww

Originally posted by Wwanderer
[B(Btw, the aspect of the UG forum I least understand is the (odd and seemingly arbitrarty conventions for) the use (of)) (parentheses).

-Ww [/B]
No. That simply means you are actually reading too many of my posts. The smart readers skip them [for what ever reasons seem obvious to them, I surely would not know] and thus have fewer problems understanding the relative use by other posters [though I can't imagine why].

:)

Wwanderer

If I'm reading this correctly, then you all should be paying me to go to strip clubs.
Nope, one doesn't pay for things that are priceless; that is the whole point of those TV credit card ads, neh?

-Ww

Status
Not open for further replies.