" so, why don't you give me your number?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morality According to Stripper Web

1. It's OK for a stripper to take $30,000 from a customer under the false pretence she'd have sex with him outside the club.

2. It's not OK for a stripper to pick $5000 out of a customer's pocket.

3. It might or might not be OK for a stripper to induce a drunkenly insensate customer to spend $250 for the Champagne Room.

Can someone explain this to me?

Last edited:

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Re: Morality According to Stripper Web

Originally posted by justlooking
And when you finish that, please explain why its okay for a politician to steal the money I earn to induce other people to vote for him/her.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Professionals have obligations that the people they service don't. It's an assymetrical relationship.
If your model/metaphor for strippers is that they are just like any other professional selling a service, like an attorney or a carpenter or whatever, then you are right, but of course that is exactly the notion the "special arena" perspective attempts to replace with a different understanding of what is going on...namely, that it is a sort of voluntary game played according to different, but broadly understood, rules than those of conventional commercial transactions.

-Ww

Last edited:

Wwanderer

Re: Morality According to Stripper Web

1. It's OK for a stripper to take $30,000 from a customer under the false pretence she'd have sex with him outside the club.
2. It's not OK for a stripper to pick $5000 out of a customer's pocket.
3. It might or might not be OK for a stripper to induce a drunkenly insensate customer to spend $250 for the Champagne Room.
Imo, fwiiw, broadly speaking the "game" in a strip club is that the dancers try to convince the customers to voluntarily give them as much money as possible for as little sexual intimacy as they can manage. They are allowed to hustle/con/dupe the customers to a very considerable extent in pursuit of this goal. The customers are trying to push the transaction in exactly the opposite direction (maximum intimacy for minimum cost) and are also allowed to hustle/con/dupe the dancers to the extent they can. The gray areas mostly involve exactly what the limits of allowable hustle/con/dupe are. Blatant lies ("I will give you a BJ in the VIP room for $200" and then refusing to do so) are not generally considered kosher, but allowing or encouraging the customer to make false assumptions or believe his own fantasies may be...or maybe not depending on the details and who you ask.

Turning to the particulars you listed: #2 is clearly not acceptable because the customer was not convinced to part with his money; she took it against his wishes...not a part of the strip club "game" at all. #1 is very questionable imo because it involves activity outside the club (out of the arena) and of course the sum involved is absurd, but still it might depend somewhat on the details of the "false pretenses". Did he simply hope or assume that she would sleep with him or did she say she would or only indirectly suggest or ....? #3 is not such a clear cut case because the degree to which the customer was "insensate" is debatable. According to the story posted on stripperweb he was quite drunk, but he was not even approximately unconscious and uncomprehending. He knew what he wanted and knew that he was paying for it; in fact, when one of the waitresses tried to intervene and prevent him from paying for the VIP room, he objected loudly (if I recall correctly). On the other hand, it seemed clear from the story that he was drunk enough that his judgement was very seriously impaired.

(The issue of how drunk a person can be before you are no longer allowed to treat them as a competent adult, responsible for their own decisions, is problematic in many circumstances. Few would say that a dancer cannot ethically sell a private dance to a customer who has had a single drink, or even a single sip, of alcohol any more than they would say that a person could not play poker or have sex with someone who had had a tiny amount to drink, but if the customer or other person has had a sufficient amount to drink, it seems to cross over into unethically exploiting their condition. The issue is problematic exactly because it is a completely smooth and "gray" transition with nothing even resembling a good place for a "bright line" distinction.)

-Ww

Last edited:

Wwanderer

Originally posted by pjorourke
I guess you could apply that special arena concept to Congress, except for the voluntary part.
If only the average politician had ethical standards as high as those of the typical stripper...

-Ww

Last edited:

Wwanderer

Originally posted by pjorourke
jl, I hope that is as clear to you as it is to me.
I wish we had a sarcasm emoticon so I could tell if you are serious or not. (In your case, PJ, I suppose my default assumption should be that you are not.) I know it all sounds sort of absurdly complex and philosophical as I expressed it above, but in fact it is all based on how the strip club environment "feels" to me at a gut level.

-Ww

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Sarcastic?? Me??

Originally posted by Wwanderer
I wish we had a sarcasm emoticon so I could tell if you are serious or not. (In your case, PJ, I suppose my default assumption should be that you are not.)
Thats usually a safe assumption. And you are not the first person who has searched for a sarcasm emoticon.

Wwanderer

Re: Wwanderer

I don't know of a single stripper who left this site because of negative treatment. Who were you referring to?
You wouldn't assume that someone using the same screen name on a different site is the same person in real life would you? ;)

Anyway, I can't reveal here what I have heard confidentially elsewhere, but I think the writing is pretty much on the wall in some cases.

-Ww

I obviously can't comment on confidences you may know. But out of the three stippers I can think of who have posted here, one got into fights over other girls she worked with at a heavily-covered club here, so I can't see how she was picked on. One got a fairly bad response under her initial screen name, was banned for a fairly obvious rule violation, came back under a different screen name under which she was received rather well, and then vanished at a time when everyone was being completely cordial to her as far as I can recall. The third stopped posting for reasons that, as explained by her closest "friend" on the board, had nothing to do with ill treatment by other posters (and even if what her "friend" said wasn't fully true, let's face it, that stripper gave at least as good as she ever got).

Wwanderer

I obviously can't comment on confidences you may know...
The reception of strippers on UG aside (a topic imported from another board anyway), I wonder if my attempt to answer your "Can someone explain this to me?" question(s) above makes sense to you. Of course, this not the same as asking if you agree; I feel confident that you do not. I just want to know if you found it coherent/intelligible.

-Ww

My response is that your post is beside the point.

I wasn't asking what you -- an academic who is not a strip-club professional or even frequenter -- think. I was trying to summarize the consensus view on Stripper Web, populated almost entirely by strip-club professionals and their hangers on.

What to me is most notable is that the almost universal view on Stripper Web was that the conduct of the woman who took $30,000 from a customer under the false pretense she'd have a sexual relationship with him (and she admitted she directly lied to him about that) wasn't even questionable. The view there was, "she didn't force him to give her the money, so what she did is in no way wrong."

These aren't lunatics on the fringe. This was the mainstream of the people who post there.

So I think that really bolsters my point about the dangers of the"special arena" theory as an easy rationalization for misconduct. Especially when you're dealing with an arena that (at least on the evidence of Stripper Web) attracts fairly sleazy people to begin with.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
So I think that really bolsters my point about the dangers of the"special arena" theory as an easy rationalization for misconduct. Especially when you're dealing with an arena that (at least on the evidence of Stripper Web) attracts fairly sleazy people to begin with.
D.... d...... d.......

I can't write it, but you know.

Wwanderer

1 - My response is that your post is beside the point. I wasn't asking what you -- an academic who is not a strip-club professional or even frequenter -- think.

2 - What to me is most notable is that the almost universal view on Stripper Web was that the conduct of the woman who took $30,000 from a customer under the false pretense she'd have a sexual relationship with him (and she admitted she directly lied to him about that) wasn't even questionable.

3 - The view there was, "she didn't force him to give her the money, so what she did is in no way wrong."

4 - So I think that really bolsters my point about the dangers of the"special arena" theory as an easy rationalization for misconduct. Especially when you're dealing with an arena that (at least on the evidence of Stripper Web) attracts fairly sleazy people to begin with.
1 - Well, while giving my own opinions too, I did intend to answer your question about why the stripperweb crowd might see the pick pocketing (#2 on your list) very differently from the cons (#1 and #3). See point 3 below. (Btw, while I plead guilty to the charge of being an academic, in fact I have been a fairly frequent strip club patron in various places and times...not so much recently, but quite a lot altogether over the years. In fact this whole "special arena" notion came to me because my personal subjective experience of strip clubs reminds me of playing poker.)

2 - I did not read the $30,000 thread over there, though I vaguely recall it being mentioned here, but I am very surprised that there was "almost universal" approval of what she did. I agree that this is inconsistent with the views expressed there about the pick pocket dancer. Moreover, and even more to the point, it is not what I have heard numerous strippers say online and in person re directly lying to customers. I would have thought that there would be at least a sizable minority who condemned the dancer's actions.

3 - In any case, note that they are not taking an "anything goes to get the customers' money" position; they are stipulating that the use of force would not be OK. So, even though I am surprised at your report of their universal approval, I would still say it is a special arena type perspective, not just a completely amoral one.

4 - You might be surprised that I entirely agree with you on this point. In fact, I think it is a very general sort of problem with "special ethical arenas"; once you change the rules in a special situation, it will encourage some people to ignore or change the rules further or in other situations. For example, it seems to me fairly clear that the "special arena" rules allowing use of violence in various contact sports (football, hockey, boxing, ...) reduces the inihibitions of the atheletes involved from using either greater (than allowed) violence in the arena or violence in their everyday lives outside the sport. It is so common that I don't think it would take any careful study to make the case; just follow the sports news for a while and there is a constant stream of examples. Now this might be used to argue that these sports (that allow the use of violence as a part of the game) are a bad thing; indeed many have made precisely that argument. However, given that these sports are not forbidden, it surely does not mean that the atheletes are doing wrong when they play the game on the field and within the rules, for example that a boxer who punches his opponent in a match is as culpable as if he had punched someone in a bar room brawl. Right?

-Ww

Last edited:
while I plead guilty to the charge of being an academic . . . .
Very early in the first debate in Pat Moynihan's first senatorial campaign, James Buckley referred to his opponent as "Professor Moynihan."

Moynihan immediatedly responded, "Already the mud starts flying."

However, given that these sports are not forbidden, it surely does not mean that the atheletes are doing wrong when they play the game on the field and within the rules, for example that a boxer who punches his opponent in a match is as culpable as if he had punched someone in a bar room brawl. Right?
My complaint wasn't that "special arena" theory degrades conduct outside the arena. My complaint was that it degrades conduct inside the arena. That once a group of sleazy people get a pass on everyday morality, they then convince themselves that they can do virtually anything.

(Note that a strip club is unlike professional boxing in the key respect that in strip clubs there are no official rules. So (unless you take the position that the Stripper Web folk do, which is that anything that isn't out and out illegal is fine) what's permissible and impermissable is up to each individual, not some at least theoretically disinterested authority trying to determine what the permissible boundaries should be.)

Status
Not open for further replies.