Losing weight the right way.

Freeweights

jayp67 said:
Hello Betty,

Just a heads up regarding your son's desire to "bulk up" for the girls.

Before he starts any kind of workout regimen just to be safe, take him for a physical and talk to his doctor about it. If you allow him to have some kind of equipment in your basement, garage, etc you are probably better off just purchasing some free weights and an adjustable bench.

Trust me, that Bowflex will have clothes hanging from it a few months from now!
Maybe it will have clothes hanging from it but freeweights are to dangerous for a 13 year old kid. Especially if he is working out alone.Plus 13 is too probably to young to lift freeweights. An x-box is cheaper than a bowflex though.

Al,

I hope your question to Betty doesnt mean what I think it does considering her daughter is a minor. And even if she wasn't, its a disgusting thing to ask.

If it doesnt mean that, than I apologize, if it does you need to apologize.

Swiggy-

I should have mentioned that should Betty purchase any free weights that she should of course also get some kind of a book, dvd or even hire a trainer to instruct her son on how to work out properly.

But 13 years old is not too young to begin a light weight training/ exercise program (in moderation). The sooner our youth begins to embrace fitness, the better chance they have of incorporating it into their lives as they get older (and as their lives become more complicated!).

Best,

jayp67

No apology here:

Kimmie said:
its a disgusting thing to ask.
Protein shakes are good for all age groups, both young and old. You should try it sometime. I'm sure you have, no?? They come in many styles, and flavors just like low cal ice cream, and yogurt.

Losing weight the right way IMHO

IMHO the best way to lose weight is through "Diet and Exercise." I know that line has become a cliché, but you have to learn to do it the right way. The best way to diet is to choose and eat a healthier diet. I am going to assume that we don’t just eat junk food (McDonald’s, potato chips, etc) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Whatever types of food that you regularly eat, try eating less servings and slightly altering it to make it healthier. For instance, if you like to eat mash potatoes and fried chicken for lunch, try modifying it by eating baked chicken instead of fried chicken. Try eating more of the white meat of the chicken (breast). It is much healthier than the dark meat. If you usually eat 3 pieces of chicken, eat 2. Lessen the amount of servings of the mash potatoes as well. If you make your own mash potatoes, don’t get whole milk. Try 1% milk, 2% milk, or fat free milk. I never liked fat free milk but 2% milk works great for me. If you like to eat cereal, try finding one that is good for you (to me, Kellogg’s Smart Start tastes great) and still tastes good that you can eat all the time.

This type of diet becomes habit forming. You should not diet for the short-gain to lose a lot of weight really fast. You should try to modify your eating behavior in order to maintain a healthier lifestyle. I myself have gotten so use to eating things like white meat chicken, that even when I am not on a “diet”, I barely ever eat dark meat chicken. I have gotten so use to 2% milk; it is the only milk I drink now. Try to eat more servings of fruits and vegetables as well. Instead of having ice cream or cake for dessert, try a yogurt or a serving of your favorite fruit (try maybe eating ice cream or cake once in a while). If you like to eat sandwiches, salads etc, try getting low-fat salad dressing and low-fat mayonnaise (I'm sorry but I just can't stand eating anything fat-free, it just takes the taste out of anything completely, but low-fat works for me). Try to cut down on your consumption of juice, and drink a bit more water. Most of us don’t drink enough water on an everyday basis.

You should take the same type of approach to exercise. Try finding some type of exercise activity you like doing, like playing sports, running, jogging, bike riding, yoga, tae bo, or whatever. Do exercises that you can incorporate permanently into your life. If you hate to jog/run, then don't do it. Find something else that you can at least learn to like/love. Exercise is not supposed to be done only when you're dieting. You're supposed to do a certain amount of exercise at least on a weekly basis, like jogging/bike riding a few times a week. By choosing to do exercises that you actually like/love doing, it will make it easier to continue doing them when you're not on a “diet.” That is the key.

If you take this type of approach to diet and exercise, the results may come at a slower pace. I guarantee you, if you stick with it and assimilate these things into your “everyday life,” you will keep the weight off and be healthier in the long run. Most type of diets where you eat "diety" type foods you would not normally eat in your everyday (like slim fast or low-carb diets, protein shakes, or whatever the case may be) only work in the short-run, because once you lose the weight, you're going to go back to eating the way you normally eat and put the weight back on.

These are just some basic tips that I have learned that work. I am not saying that you should not take supplements, diet pills, etc to get the weight off. These things can only help you to lose the weight faster. Remember these are only temporary solutions, which has nothing to do with the underlying problem. Modifying your eating behavior and your attitude towards exercising is the best way IMHO to keep the weight off permanently. I am not some type of exercise guru and I am not saying that you can do this overnight, but in time you can change your eating/exercise habits. If anyone has more tips and want to add anything else, or make comments, feel free.

Losing weight the right way IMHO

IMHO the best way to lose weight is through "Diet and Exercise." I know that line has become a cliché, but you have to learn to do it the right way. The best way to diet is to choose and eat a healthier diet. I am going to assume that we don’t just eat junk food (McDonald’s, potato chips, etc) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Whatever types of food that you regularly eat, try eating less servings and slightly altering it to make it healthier. For instance, if you like to eat mash potatoes and fried chicken for lunch, try modifying it by eating baked chicken instead of fried chicken. Try eating more of the white meat of the chicken (breast). It is much healthier than the dark meat. If you usually eat 3 pieces of chicken, eat 2. Lessen the amount of servings of the mash potatoes as well. If you make your own mash potatoes, don’t get whole milk. Try 1% milk, 2% milk, or fat free milk. I never liked fat free milk but 2% milk works great for me. If you like to eat cereal, try finding one that is good for you (to me, Kellogg’s Smart Start tastes great) and still tastes good that you can eat all the time.

This type of diet becomes habit forming. You should not diet for the short-gain to lose a lot of weight really fast. You should try to modify your eating behavior in order to maintain a healthier lifestyle. I myself have gotten so use to eating things like white meat chicken, that even when I am not on a “diet”, I barely ever eat dark meat chicken. I have gotten so use to 2% milk; it is the only milk I drink now. Try to eat more servings of fruits and vegetables as well. Instead of having ice cream or cake for dessert, try a yogurt or a serving of your favorite fruit (try maybe eating ice cream or cake once in a while). If you like to eat sandwiches, salads etc, try getting low-fat salad dressing and low-fat mayonnaise (I'm sorry but I just can't stand eating anything fat-free, it just takes the taste out of anything completely, but low-fat works for me). Try to cut down on your consumption of juice, and drink a bit more water. Most of us don’t drink enough water on an everyday basis.

You should take the same type of approach to exercise. Try finding some type of exercise activity you like doing, like playing sports, running, jogging, bike riding, yoga, tae bo, or whatever. Do exercises that you can incorporate permanently into your life. If you hate to jog/run, then don't do it. Find something else that you can at least learn to like/love. Exercise is not supposed to be done only when you're dieting. You're supposed to do a certain amount of exercise at least on a weekly basis, like jogging/bike riding a few times a week. By choosing to do exercises that you actually like/love doing, it will make it easier to continue doing them when you're not on a “diet.” That is the key.

If you take this type of approach to diet and exercise, the results may come at a slower pace. I guarantee you, if you stick with it and assimilate these things into your “everyday life,” you will keep the weight off and be healthier in the long run. Most type of diets where you eat "diety" type foods you would not normally eat in your everyday (like slim fast or low-carb diets, protein shakes, or whatever the case may be) only work in the short-run, because once you lose the weight, you're going to go back to eating the way you normally eat and put the weight back on.

These are just some basic tips that I have learned that work. I am not saying that you should not take supplements, diet pills, etc to get the weight off. These things can only help you to lose the weight faster. Remember these are only temporary solutions, which has nothing to do with the underlying problem. Modifying your eating behavior and your attitude towards exercising is the best way IMHO to keep the weight off permanently. I am not some type of exercise guru and I am not saying that you can do this overnight, but in time you can change your eating/exercise habits. If anyone has more tips and want to add anything else, or make comments, feel free.

I havent seen the inside of a gym in the last three or four weeks.

I did get to use my brothers Ab crunching thingy when I was at his home on July 4th.

I have recently become a mother of 4. I have no time for the gym. Shoot, I rarely get to log online, and when I do I am only allowed 15 minutes. Unless I sneak on really quick. That I call "pullin' a drive-by."

I have another plan in the works though. It may not be the best, or healthiest way to lose weight, but it sure is the fastests!!

Lata gators!!

Advice for Kimmie

I agree Diet and Exercise is the best way to lose weight

As a provider the best way to get Exercise is ....

need i say more....

P.S. As i monger i would be more than willing to help you get that exercise if you know what i mean ....

P.P.S. If you are interested leave a message in my thread: the 2006 Summer Streetwalker guide

I lost 65 lbs five years ago by using desert plates for lunch and dinner and filling them just once. It took a year and a half. Since then I have kept it off by returning to the one small plate regime when I gain 7 or 8 pounds. My only exercise besides mongering is brisk walks with two pound weights for each of my hands.

Gaining weight and losing weight in a healthy manner is the same. Eat and exercise. Don't go for the fatty foods, eat a lean balanced diet and exercise. The idea is to build muscle not fat. Don't think gaining weight is about eating 2 double whoppers and a super sized coke.

Lots of people think they want to lose weight but the idea is to lose fat. It's ok to gain weight but get trimmer.

like crisco said,

i think it's more about fitness than weight...i remember once my doctor told me i was slightly overweight...yet i had a great heart, a six pack, cut arms/legs/back.... needless to say, i'd rather be overweight and "hunky" than ideal weight and flabby.

that's also how i like my girls...i've been with a bunch of girls who were skinny, but flabby....i'd take a nice tight body girl anyday...

A good way to gai weight humsuplo - very simple, eat more, lift more...the line we used a lot was "eat big, sleep big, lift big, get big"...dont eat crap though...very high protein foods, try to get ~ 1g/lean lb mass of your body...lift the major groups and compound exercises e.g. squats, deadlifts, rows, bench.

fast food tends to make you fat, not big.

Ephedra , stacker 2 and all of that crap was basically like being on cocaine. funny how they can ban that so quick, but not cigarettes.

anyway... technically ephedra is banned for dietary supplements. it can still be found elsewhere in other forms.

You can create your own stack with Ephendrine, Yohimbe and caffeine...more on this if you're interested....keeps energy up, helps the fat/muscle energy partitioning, and the most important thing about ephedrine was it's ability to curb your appetite.. (note nicotine does this too, so buy nic. gum)

sex by the way is great exercise...

i have dislocated my shoulder once, cramped god knows how many times during the romp....and of course i love hearing the "im so sore from two nights ago" from girls i've been with....and i know they obviously werent talking about the damage my 2" wang did to them....active sex = fun....i hate dead fish.

Read a book called Fit for Life from the 80's. Works everytime. Tony Robbins endorsed it after he got thin and became a speaker.

It takes discipline mentally at first but the results are mind blowing. Energy all day and need to sleep cut in half.

Diet food is a joke. I did the protocol and can eat junk if I want but rarely have the calling. I thought it was a joke but tried it and got healthy.

Last edited:
It was by an author named Diamond, co-written with his wife. I tried it then and went on to lose like 40 lbs. Since it is kind of difficult to not mix carbohydrates with proteins, I gained it back later. Age could also have been a factor though.

Last edited:
It was Harvey Diamond and the concept is Macrobiotics. If you are obese and need to really shed the poundage, I suggest a mono diet. It works wonders but you have to stay focused. You can do it for days or weeks and then come off.