Losing weight the right way.

Does anyone know? Because I am starting to give up.

I lost a massive amount of weight last year, the wrong way, not eating.

I literally ate once a week. But when I got tired of that after 8 months I started to eat again and gained back all I lost, plus... :O(

So Now I am back at Golds Gym. Doing my thing, sweating my ass off and not a single pound has gone. I was told some crapola about gaining muscle helps you burn fat blah blah, but I am not falling for that.

Ok, so question for anyone out there thats healthy and in shape...

Is doing cardio only the best way to lose weight fast, or a combo of weights and cardio?

There is ONLY ONE way to lose weight......

EXERCISE!

Eating a healthy diet goes without saying. But you could eat and drink carrots and water all fucking day, if you don't speed up your metabolism with exercise it won't help. It takes time... probably several weeks before the daily execise speeds you up, but it will happen. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You could also do coke or speed to boost your metabolism as well. Speaking of which.... I was in a Vitamin Shoppe the other day and they told me Xenadrine (w/efedra) is back on the market down here (if not, its available in Canada and on line). Dat will speed you up, reduce an appetite and knock off the weight pronto.... I highly recomend Xenadrine so long as its used in moderation.

Last edited:
Kimmie said:
So Now I am back at Golds Gym. Doing my thing, sweating my ass off and not a single pound has gone. I was told some crapola about gaining muscle helps you burn fat blah blah, but I am not falling for that.

Ok, so question for anyone out there thats healthy and in shape...

Is doing cardio only the best way to lose weight fast, or a combo of weights and cardio?
Unfortunately you aren't falling for an important component of losing weight and keeping it off. Not only does muscle burn calories in of itself but the 24 hours after a good weight workout a lot of calories are used to repair the muscle fibers that are damaged during the workout - that’s why you can be a little sore the day after. The repair process makes more muscle than was damaged so you get stronger also.

When you starve yourself the body consumes fat but also muscle. Not good.
Women can not easily develop big muscles (you need testosterone for that), but the muscle you do develop will be under the normal layer of fat women have and will give you an attractive look and clothes will fit better. Starving depletes muscle which is why people who starve have poor definition, sagging skin and look unhealthy.

The second component of weight control is cardio. The 1st 10 minutes or so of cardio your body is burning almost only carbohydrates but after that it burns an increasing percentage of fat. so try for 30 minutes of cardio.

The third component is calorie intake control. There is no getting around this but it doesn’t mean you starve yourself – eat whatever you want but you MUST control your portions. You don’t need a diet plan to know what you have to do and how much of what you can eat. Weight loss is successful or not on this one item regardless of everything else. For example I run about 15 miles/week. This is about 1500 calories/week for a 180lb man, somewhat less for a 120 lb woman. Eat a couple of chocolate bars (say 4 – 3oz bars a WEEK) and you wiped out the calories burned by running 15 miles!

Sorry if you expect a magic formula

Good luck and go to your gym.

Last edited:
There is no right or wrong way, just a good way and a bad way. Experiment and find out what works for you because what might work for someone else won't necessarily work for you. Get into a routine of eating right and exercising regularly and stick to it. Change your exercise routine around so your body doesn't adapt to it. Consistency, dedication, discipline and doing things smart are keys.

Ozzy said:
EXERCISE!

Eating a healthy diet goes without saying. But you could eat and drink carrots and water all fucking day, if you don't speed up your metabolism with exercise it won't help. It takes time... probably several weeks before the daily execise speeds you up, but it will happen. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You could also do coke or speed to boost your metabolism as well. Speaking of which.... I was in a Vitamin Shoppe the other day and they told me Xenadrine (w/efedra) is back on the market down here (if not, its available in Canada and on line). Dat will speed you up, reduce an appetite and knock off the weight pronto.... I highly recomend Xenadrine so long as its used in moderation.
Well DUH!!!!!

Exercise is what I have been doing to the point that I need Icy Hot to fing walk to go pee.

I use to take Xenadrine but I got hot flashes all the time, and it made me feel sick in the tummy.

genius said:
The second component of weight control is cardio. The 1st 10 minutes or so of cardio your body is burning almost only carbohydrates but after that it burns an increasing percentage of fat. so try for 30 minutes of cardio.

Sorry if you expect a magic formula

Good luck and go to your gym.
I see why you are called genius.... A wealth of knowledge.

I can feel the muscle, my clothes feel loose, but the scale doesnt show it and I cant grasp that.

If your clothes are getting too loose your weight should go down.

If you are gaining muscle and losing fat, the scale should say "Hey Girl you lost 1lb. Keep up the good work, see you tomorrow!!"

I weigh myself after every work out and the scale says nothing new..zip zero. nada..

Ditto to genius and Ozzy

...about exercise; if you're doing less than the minimum 30 mins cardio, not only aren't you touching your fat reserve, you've burned up the calories your body would normally draw on to keep itself running-- Fat is stored for a reason; to tide you over should a famine occur (the signal it gets when you ahem... 'eat once a week'.

Don't agree with Oz about there not being a diet component, though- whatever you manage to cut out of your intake (particularly non-nutritious "empty calories" like sugars and fats*) has to stay permanently out-- you start going back to the way you used to eat, and you're also going back to the way you used to look.

*Research indicates that our bodies, designed to survive the harsh conditions of relatively recent antiquity, actually crave** sweets and especially fatty foods, due to the latter being much harder to come by then than they are today.

** According to a presentation by Dr. Ray Kurzweil late last year, there are teams working to discover the genetic basis for the process of fat storage, so that it can be switched off.

But then again, isn't part of what defines a human is the ability to use rational thought to override our baser instincts? ... Well most of them anyway... (sheepish grin)

Last edited:
I said there had to be a diet component....

"Eating a healthy diet goes without saying"

I meant that even if you ate healthy you wouldn't lose substantial weight without the exercise cause most fat people are not that way because they over-ate (though it helped), their bodies lack certain chemistry. But if you have a fast metabolism are in great shape... you could probably get away with eating a high calorie/fat diet if you had a very stringent exercise routine. Many athletes are a great example, even some models who claim to eat anything they want but work out 4-5 hours a day.

Kimmie said:
I can feel the muscle, my clothes feel loose, but the scale doesnt show it and I cant grasp that.

If your clothes are getting too loose your weight should go down.

If you are gaining muscle and losing fat, the scale should say "Hey Girl you lost 1lb. Keep up the good work, see you tomorrow!!"

I weigh myself after every work out and the scale says nothing new..zip zero. nada..
If your supermarket had an advert that said "Come on in! $2.99 a pound!", what would you think?

You would think "A pound of WHAT?"

If you insist on using a scale, do it once a week, perhaps Monday morning when you get up.

The term "overweight" is usually a misnomer - what people really mean is "overfat".

If, as you say, "I can feel the muscle, my clothes feel loose", then you are doing the right things - you are buring fat and making muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat which is why your clothes will fit better (the sweetest expense of all is having to pay to have your clothes taken in."

CURIOUS: The length of time before the body starts converting from burning carbs to burning fat is on the order of 10 minutes or so (assuming a decent exercise level). It would be nice if everyone had more than 30 minutes to cardio exercise (you need a bit more time than that as you have to warm up for a few minutes and cool down after before you hit the showers), but if you don't have the extra time, that amount is a reasonable compromise IMHO.

Kimmie said:

From my own experience, and from a trainer's help, a combo of weights and cardio, is definitely the way to go. Gaining muscle does burn fat, I've experienced that first hand. Cardio alone doesn't tax the body enough. You will see some weight loss but not the desired result that I think you're looking for. I'll be honest, I have never been overweight. I'm more towards the thin side but I did start developing a spare tire around the waist and it was quite noticeable. After I started cardio and weights, the flab around my waist disappeared. Maybe you should hire a trainer if you haven't gone that route. I saw real results when I worked with a trainer because he pushed me hard, I was very motivated and I was gratefu for that. Because it does get expensive after awhile, I started training by myself, I saw results but not as much as with a trainer. It's been two years since I worked with a trainer so I'm signing up with a trainer again to push myself again. If a trainer isn't your thing, work out with a friend who'll motivate you during your workout.

Another thing people overlook is learning how to cook. I don't know what you're cooking skills are like (so I'm not trying to insult anyone here) but if you have the time to take lessons, then you should. Many people think eating healthy is just eating a bunch of nuts and berries. If you know how to cook - controlling what goes into your food becomes easy that you don't realize your eating healthier but in fact you are. You'll find yourself switching to leaner cuts of meat and to different methods of cooking, from fried foods to roasted, braised or steamed foods which is healthier, equally as tasty if not more and really quite easy after you get that hang of it. It's also cost effective because you're not eating expensive take-out food after a workout which can hurt the waistline as well as the wallet.

I wish you all the best Kimmie and don't give up. It really is worth the effort.

Kimmie said:
P.S.
Kimmie,
Don't bother weighing yourself right after a workout. The human body is still burning calories, converting protein to muscle and repairing tissues for up to 24 hours after a good workout. Weigh yourself one or two days later.

Fat Smah Diet

Kimmie,
check out a book by this title, I did it and it changed my life, I lost 15 lbs in the first 10 days and after 3 monthes I lost 40lbs.

I admit the scale thing is an over obesession.

Virko thanks for the knowledge.

tc thanks for the book idea.

genius.... I wont be taking my clothes "in" when its all gone...I am a woman. We buy new clothes!!!!

One more question I forgot to ask.

How many days a week should I do weight / strength training? I actually like that more then cardio. Cardio is boring. Only time I can stay on the treadmill for over 30 minutes is when the Yankee game is on...

K...

One of the earliest forms of exercise that works the most parts of the body is swimming. If its available especially now with the weather getting better try that for 30-40 minutes. Swim a half dozen or so laps even at a leisurely pace and you will do more than most forms that target only specific areas... and do it in a raction of the time. Ever see the ripped bods on competitive swimmers? Aerobics is another good one. There's a reason professional athletes use both during training and rehab. A client of mine used to condition the Jets during the off season.

Last edited:
tc21301 said:
Kimmie,
check out a book by this title, I did it and it changed my life, I lost 15 lbs in the first 10 days.....
This goes back to the question - "15 lbs of what?"
If you are a typical active male and burn 2500 calories per day AND CONSUMED ZERO CALORIES for all 10 days and somehow your body is different from every other humans and when you went into starvation mode you burned fat instead breaking down your bodiy's muscle, at most you could lose about 7 lbs of fat.

Fad diets don't work.

Kimmie said:
How many days a week should I do weight / strength training? I actually like that more then cardio. Cardio is boring. Only time I can stay on the treadmill for over 30 minutes is when the Yankee game is on...

Most trainers recommend 2 to 3 days per week. You should do at least 10-15 minutes of cardio before weight/strength training as it helps gets the blood pumping and more oxygen to the muscles. (You don't want to start weight training from a cold state.) Then you should do 45 minutes to an hour max of weight training. Get a good night's sleeps afterwards. Your muscles grow while in a resting state. If you don't give yourelf time to rest, then your muscles will eat itself away. Muscles should rest between 36-48 hours before being hit again.

Kimmie,

Don't get obsessed with the scale. Weigh yourself once a week, not everyday. You will get discouraged if don't see results most of the time.

Metro.

PS. When are you going to do incall in NYC again?

Ozzy said:
K...

One of the earliest forms of exercise that works the most parts of the body is swimming. If its available especially now with the weather getting better try that for 30-40 minutes. Swim a half dozen or so laps even at a leisurely pace and you will do more than most forms that target only specific areas... and do it in a raction of the time. Ever see the ripped bods on competitive swimmers? Aerobics is another good one. There's a reason professional athletes use both during training and rehab. A client of mine used to condition the Jets during the off season.

Swimming is an awesome exercise. I stopped lifting a while back and just did pool workouts, laps, running w/weights, etc. Then I got bored and started core training and stretching. I've lost 10 pounds in the past month and not too much "dieting". I just move around more than I used to.