Losing weight the right way.

Ozzy said:
K...

One of the earliest forms of exercise that works the most parts of the body is swimming. If its available especially now with the weather getting better try that for 30-40 minutes. Swim a half dozen or so laps even at a leisurely pace and you will do more than most forms that target only specific areas... and do it in a raction of the time. Ever see the ripped bods on competitive swimmers? Aerobics is another good one. There's a reason professional athletes use both during training and rehab. A client of mine used to condition the Jets during the off season.
Its all good. The key words are exercise and daily. Swimming has the advantage of being an exercise that you can do with the least probability of an injury.

Ummm, as far as "the ripped bods on competitive swimmers", I have a feeling that they didn't get it by doing "a half dozen or so laps ...at a leisurely pace."

A tiny bit of advice, to debunk the urban myth - The time spent driving around Gold’s parking lot trying to find a sopt close to the door does not count as cardio exercise regardless of how angry you get at those other idiot drivers.

kimmie

the best way is to have a exercise program stick with it make it easy at first so you will have no problems. eat half of everything and push the rest away don't eat to eat. eat to satisfy your hunger. you know the saying eat to live not live to eat. next if you are right handed eat left handed or the opposite this will teach you to eat slow so you get full faster. drink alot of water all day. junk food eat it but all in moderation once in awhile won't hurt. don't diet they will never work. good luck i did this and lost 35 pounds and have kept the weight off for 2 years already.

Last edited:
Wow you guys rock. Thanks for all the tips. I will stay off the scale. It's very discouraging. I got off it yesterday and was so pissed I wanted to go eat a bag of Reeses peanut butter cups!!! But I was good..I bought apples..blah.

Ozzy, swimming?

I am a black girl( well half black) we dont like to get our hair wet..ok?

BUT, when we open the pool I will try to do some laps around my small 15X30 foot pool.

I wish my gym had a pool.

Metro,

NYC is not in my future plans..except to get my hair done! I can't handle the city..

Last edited:
My .02..

It's really a matter of lifestyle and patience. I've been doing South Beach for about 4 months...it's been easy to follow, not a struggle at all. Combined with exercise -I've been dropping about 5-7 pounds per month ( more in the beginning). Now - it's all a matter of choices. Vegis instead of starches....whole grain vs. white....brown rice vs. white. etc etc. It's all a matter of moderation.

Weight training increases your metabolism which will continue to burn off after you're done. -- so long as you work on the strength rather than form -- you won't get that "bulk" look either - but your lines will be clean. I don't miss a morning, even if it's just a 5 minute workout. It's also easier to spot target problems with weights as well. Throw in some good stretching and cardio...and good luck! Everthing (nearly) in moderation -- but with consitency.

Best ...

genius said:
CURIOUS: The length of time before the body starts converting from burning carbs to burning fat is on the order of 10 minutes or so (assuming a decent exercise level). It would be nice if everyone had more than 30 minutes to cardio exercise (you need a bit more time than that as you have to warm up for a few minutes and cool down after before you hit the showers), but if you don't have the extra time, that amount is a reasonable compromise IMHO.

It has to do with getting your heart rate up to the proper levels to burn the right amount of calories and fat.

The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat when involved in lower intensity cardio exercise. BUT, at higher intensities, you burn a greater number of overall calories which is what you should be concerned about when trying to lose weight. The chart below details the fat calories expended by a 130-pound woman during cardio exercise:

Low Intensity - 60-65% MHR High Intensity - 80-85% MHR
Total Calories Expended per min. 4.86 6.86
Fat Calories expended per min. 2.43 2.7
Total Calories expended in 30 min. 146 206
Total Fat calories expended in 30 min. 73 82
Percentage of fat calories burned 50% 39.85%

From The 24/5 Complete Personal Training Manual, 24 Hour Fitness, 2000

Daddycool said:
It has to do with getting your heart rate up to the proper levels to burn the right amount of calories and fat.

The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat when involved in lower intensity cardio exercise. BUT, at higher intensities, you burn a greater number of overall calories which is what you should be concerned about when trying to lose weight. The chart below details the fat calories expended by a 130-pound woman during cardio exercise:

Low Intensity - 60-65% MHR High Intensity - 80-85% MHR
Total Calories Expended per min. 4.86 6.86
Fat Calories expended per min. 2.43 2.7
Total Calories expended in 30 min. 146 206
Total Fat calories expended in 30 min. 73 82
Percentage of fat calories burned 50% 39.85%

From The 24/5 Complete Personal Training Manual, 24 Hour Fitness, 2000
Yeah, yeah, I know all that - but all the poor woman wants to do is lose a couple of pounds and firm up a bit.

So, "assuming a decent exercise level"...."It would be nice if everyone had more than 30 minutes to cardio exercise (you need a bit more time than that as you have to warm up for a few minutes and cool down after before you hit the showers), but if you don't have the extra time, that amount is a reasonable compromise."

Actually, I want to lose A LOT of pounds, not a couple, and do it by firming up my body.

I have seen what people look like when they lose weight the wrong way and have no body toning, just hanging fat. Yucky.

I know I will never be 115lbs again, but I can still try to stay healthy as I get older. It makes me feel good too.

I have not done any strength training this week ( I know its only Wednesday) But I feel my muscles relaxing, and it really hurts!! What's that about? OUCH!It's like my muscles are screaming, work us out dammit!!

It hurts soooo much. I cant believe it. Worse then when I do work my muscles.

Thanks for your input guys!

Kimmie,

Seems that everyone here has excellent ideas in losing weight. Pick something that works with you and go for it. :)

High intense cardio is the ultimate way of shedding pounding in my opinion. When I'm in kickboxing class, I sweat till I'm dripping during and after class. Diet is a big thing also. I took soda off my diet when I was training for my black belt and it was the best thing I ever done. 10 lbs right there in one month along with the cardio! I was at my ideal weight of 175lbs. Any soda will keep your weight on.

Everyone's opinion counts here cause thats what I tell my students when they want to lose some weight. Good luck and let us know if you need any more information!

Kicks

Sidekicks said:
Kimmie,

. I took soda off my diet when I was training for my black belt and it was the best thing I ever done. 10 lbs right there in one month along with the cardio! I was at my ideal weight of 175lbs. Any soda will keep your weight on.
I havent had soda in 19 years.......

But now you have me wondering about my addiction to energy drinks. Tab is low in calories, so maybe I will just drink that.

As for kickboxing, I have Billy Blanks DVD's and an old tape by Susan Powter, a step tape. Its cool to do them when I get bored with seeing all those gorgeous muscle men sweating at the gym.. yeah riiiiiiiiiiiight! I do them when I dont feel like driving to the gym.

my 2 cents

Hi Kimmie,

Just noticed this thread and it seems that alot of fellow UGers have given you some very good advice. (We actually met about 3 years ago at the Red Door club downtown.)

I can only add -

most people I know find cardio boring (myself included!)-

so, with the warm weather here try your hand at some outdoor activities!

I know you like baseball. Have you ever played softball or would you consider trying to find a team to play with? How about getting on a bike and riding around a nearby park/boardwalk? Or if you're up for it, a jog along the shore is a great workout. Do you have anyone you could play frisbee with? Cardio is alot less boring if you are "playing".

Just something to consider. Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck with your progress and keep us posted!

JP67

Kimmie said:
Actually, I want to lose A LOT of pounds, not a couple, and do it by firming up my body.
I was just trying to be polite and imply that you do not need a complicated perfect program - simple is best (as long as it is based on sound principles) as you will not get discouraged.
Kimmie said:
But now you have me wondering about my addiction to energy drinks. Tab is low in calories, so maybe I will just drink that.
Energy drinks are not a problem if the calories are low. Check the label. Red Bull, for example, has 10 calories - not a problem. Watch out for booze - moderation is the key, you don't have to enter a convent and become a saint.

During college (many moons ago) I worked at a waiter in a decent restaurant. Just about ALL fat people would make a big deal about having artificial sweeteners in their coffee with their eclairs (or similar) for desert. There was no real pattern with trim people, sugar or not, milk or not- but they usually had fresh fruit (if they had anything) for desert. Another simple thing you can do (it's quite a revelation actually) when you go food shopping look at what the fat people have in their baskets and what the trim people have. You may also save a bit of money too as the closer things are to their form in nature e.g.potatoes vs potato chips, the cheaper they tend to be.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Kimmie said:
I havent had soda in 19 years.......

As for kickboxing, I have Billy Blanks DVD's and an old tape by Susan Powter, a step tape. Its cool to do them when I get bored with seeing all those gorgeous muscle men sweating at the gym.. yeah riiiiiiiiiiiight! I do them when I dont feel like driving to the gym.

Energy drinks are all carbs and calories...stick to water

robnotbob said:
Energy drinks are all carbs and calories...stick to water
"Red Bull, for example, has 10 calories - not a problem." I don't drink them - I just looked it up at their web site. I guess the "energy" you get is from all the caffine. Stick to water is good advice which is what I do, although sometimes I like a little lime squeezed into some seltzer after a workout.

If you drink something like Energy 69 that has 110 calories per can, 3 cans per day, and you drink it in addition to your normal diet you could easily gain a pound every two weeks unless you run 3 miles a day to offset the calories.

Last edited:
The only energy drink I take often is Vitamin-water. Love it. No sodium but there is some sugar in there just for flavor. I like that better than Gatorade or Powerade. Ever see the sodium levels in those things?!?!?