Latest Pastrami News

billyS

Reign of Terror
And when was the last time you had a malted, ice cream soda or a banana split? Remember the corner candy store with a counter (and I don't mean a diner with a counter)? Remember drinking a coke mixed with syrup and seltzer?
When I was growing up in Floral Park we had a few of these places. There was the Corner Luncheonette on the corner of Tulip and Plainfield, diagonally across from the Square and another on Verbena right before Tulip. On Jericho there was Breyers, it wasn't on a corner. All these places are gone.
Custard Cottage on Tulip would make you an egg cream.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Back to Pastrami. When I was in Vegas over the summer I had a very good Pastrami and rye at the Stage Deli in the MGM. It is over by the Sports Book. In fact you are allowed to sit in the Sports book without betting if you have food from the Stage Deli. Which worked out nice for breakfast because the other places like Starbucks would be crowed but I'd walk over there and get a fruit cup and coffee and sit in the Sports bar and catch up on the pennant races and trade deadline rumors on the TV's in the sports bar.

I was tempted to have them make me a Pastrami and egg for breakfast one morning but I didn't want to eat heavy for breakfast.

But the Pastrami there was very good. I wound going back right before I left for another one.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Brooklyn egg-cream yet.

(I know, Ozzy, you've been drinking this stuff all your life).

It's shit. Half the time the crappy chocolate cakes up at the bottom of the bottle and it's made with no-fat or low fat milf. There's another that's a little better but the only good egg cream is a homemade with Ubets. Bosco is the better syrup for everything else, but an egg cream HAS to be Ubets

The Original Brooklyn Egg-Cream

The Original Brooklyn Egg-Cream

Take a tall, chilled, straight-sided, 8oz. glass
Spoon 1 inch of U-bet Chocolate syrup into glass
Add 1 inch whole milk
Tilt the glass and spray seltzer (from a pressurized cylinder only) off a spoon, to make a big chocolate head
Stir, Drink, Enjoy

My pastrami story, well the truth is a lot darker and sadder then that.

I just want to wish all you guys out there a happy Thanksgiving (those of you that have something to be thankful for).

He's not holding it right. The Carnegie falls apart cause there's too much fucking meat on it and most of the others use a soggy rye. A good hard rye should never fall apart.

Cel-Ray is a Jewish thing, Dr Browns is a NY (actually Brooklyn/Lower East Side) thing. Celery "tonic" goes back to eastern European Jews mid 1800's.

Cole slaw? (where's that green vomit)... Only thing I'd consider putting on pastrami besides mustard is maybe some kraut. But thats what they do to shitty pastrami to dull the taste and give it a name.

And so it's clear I was referring to the "bottled" crap under the Brooklyn Egg Cream brand.

He's not holding it right. The Carnegie falls apart cause there's too much fucking meat on it and most of the others use a soggy rye. A good hard rye should never fall apart.

Cel-Ray is a Jewish thing, Dr Browns is a NY (actually Brooklyn/Lower East Side) thing. Celery "tonic" goes back to eastern European Jews mid 1800's.

Cole slaw? (where's that green vomit)... Only thing I'd consider putting on pastrami besides mustard is maybe some kraut. But thats what they do to shitty pastrami to dull the taste and give it a name.

And so it's clear I was referring to the "bottled" crap under the Brooklyn Egg Cream brand.

the cole slaw does not go ON the sandwich. it goes on the plate next to the sandwich and gradually the bread marinates in the liquid part of the cole slaw, the brine from the pickles and the mustard....yummmm

IMHO !

Did you just complain about too much meat?
Reminds me of a K-girl privider I fucked when I was a new monger in Bayside...she apologized that her tits were too big despite all her jogging and her vagina was too small so she asked me to ass fuck her (!!!!!!!!!)

From Pastrami to brisket.
For those fans of Texas BBQ brisket, I recently went back to Ranger BBQ, formerly known as Pearson's. Awesome brisket, beef and pork ribs, pulled, chicken, and pork. Pearson's used to be in Long Island City till they lost their lease. They were smoking their meat in the backyard in the pre-LIC gentrification days. They moved to Legends Bar in Jackson Hts and opened a restaurant in Manhattan. Without their attention to detail and trying to run 2 places, the restaurant closed in 6 months. Eventually Pearson retired but the outpost remains. They are not far from Northern Blvd on 35th Avenue and 71st street. Bar in the front grill in the rear.
Enjoy a break from the turkey.

Just want to make a comment on Second Ave Deli, went there recently after a session at Asian New Heaven, which is almost across the street from there. Their machine cut Pastrami is really too thin to enjoy, should have just driven down to Katz.

From Pastrami to brisket.
For those fans of Texas BBQ brisket, I recently went back to Ranger BBQ, formerly known as Pearson's. Awesome brisket, beef and pork ribs, pulled, chicken, and pork. Pearson's used to be in Long Island City till they lost their lease. They were smoking their meat in the backyard in the pre-LIC gentrification days. They moved to Legends Bar in Jackson Hts and opened a restaurant in Manhattan. Without their attention to detail and trying to run 2 places, the restaurant closed in 6 months. Eventually Pearson retired but the outpost remains. They are not far from Northern Blvd on 35th Avenue and 71st street. Bar in the front grill in the rear.
Enjoy a break from the turkey.
There happens to be a real live wood smoked Bar-B-Que take out place on Long Island.

Burke's Bar-B-Que Barn located at 2092 Grand Ave in Baldwin, just North of the Baldwin LIRR station.

They compete in local BBQ competitions, and their BBQ chicken has won awards.

Besides their chicken, they make ribs (of course), pulled pork, brisket, pulled chicken (???) and smoked sausage (Kiełbasa, not Texas hot links ???).

Everything comes mopped with St. Louis sweet sauce, and nothing else. These folks don't seem to care about being authentic, but considering that real BBQ is a totally foreign cuisine to this area, they can be forgiven, I guess.

Their biscuits are basically country style biscuits, except they flavor theirs with garlic and cheddar cheese (????). One of their starters is pulled pork wontons ????.

Their pulled pork is just odd as it comes with their icky sweet St. Louis sauce, and not the Carolina vinegar based sauce, but they will leave the sauce off if you ask them.

Their ribs come with the skirt still attached (sometimes, YMMV), as opposed to trimmed St. Louis ribs.

Their brisket is just so-so.

If this place was opened in Texas or Memphis, they wouldn't last a day, but can you find a Jewish Deli in Texas or Memphis that could hold a candle (or Menorah) to Katz's?