Latest Pastrami News

Now, as for Glatt Kosher, it didn't even exist here until after World War II. I believe it was brought over by a Romanian Rabbi. It has to do with the inspection of the animals organs after it has been slaughtered in the proper manner. (No Rabbi has to pray over it, it just has to be one cut, with an unnicked blade.) As pointed out in the posts above, if any spots or irregularities are found, it isn't Glatt. If the inspector gets a second opinion that it's okay, then it can still be kosher.
Reminds me of the Robert Klein bit : Glatt Kosher is kosher times kosher. It's like with kosher the animal has to be killed in a certain way. With Glatt Kosher, the guy who killed the animal also has to be killed in a certain way.

You had to hear him do it.

I can smell the brine ... mmmm ...

This place claims to have a direct link to the original Gus's.

http://www.gusspickle.com/

I have been there and their pickles are excellent.

They also have pickled tomatoes (Slinky take note) and pickled garlic !! They deliver as well.
The NY Times had an article about this a few months ago. The family that owned the original Gus's sold their business to another company (I don't even think they're Jewish). Then some dispute erupted, but I can't remember the details (frankly, I didn't think it was particularly interesting). The bottom line is that the Gus's stand on Orchard Street has nothing to do with the old Gus's.

I remember buying a sour pickle from an old fashion pickle store on Orchard St. some years ago, it was mushy and old and not refrigerated. Just like Jews on the lower east side ate their pickles 100 years ago. How's that for authentic?