Latest Pastrami News

There was another article in Sunday's NY Times in the Style section about Lower East Side development in which they said the deal may go down this way: they may either sell the air rights or build a residential building at the site, but allow Katz's to remain in the retail space. And there's talk about establishing a cold cuts line (presumably to be sold at supermarkets, but maybe also at other delis) under the Katz's name.

I ate at Katz's the other night and the pastrami still rocks. The pastrami at Carnegie Deli on the other hand was dried out... But, I'd be hitting Katz's because i think its days are number due to the current development mindset of NYC.

stop tormenting me like this. the food out here in vegas is a horrible impersonation of NYC food. unless you go to high end restaurants. the bagels are like fucking donuts with no icing on them, the pizza, except for 1 or 2 exceptions is like cardboard with ketchup on in and so on and so on. i can't wait to come back home. i think part of the problem is the horrific water they have out here. we resorted to having dunkin donuts deliver their coffe to us, because until july (i think), the state of nevada is completely dunkin donutless. oh the trials and tribulations!!!!!! lol!!!!!

I ate at Katz's the other night and the pastrami still rocks. The pastrami at Carnegie Deli on the other hand was dried out... But, I'd be hitting Katz's because i think its days are number due to the current development mindset of NYC.
It's a landmark, will be there forever. They guy owns the building, and the rest of the block.

He is planning on getting the air rights, and building ontop.

stop tormenting me like this. the food out here in vegas is a horrible impersonation of NYC food. unless you go to high end restaurants. the bagels are like fucking donuts with no icing on them, the pizza, except for 1 or 2 exceptions is like cardboard with ketchup on in and so on and so on. i can't wait to come back home. i think part of the problem is the horrific water they have out here. we resorted to having dunkin donuts deliver their coffe to us, because until july (i think), the state of nevada is completely dunkin donutless. oh the trials and tribulations!!!!!! lol!!!!!
The lack of Dunkin' Donuts out west is absolutely inhumane.

Anyway.... are you guys talking about the place on 2nd avenue? Because I went there and ordered pierogies and asked the waitress for sour cream and was laughed at. Not a giggle, actually ridiculed as though I was the biggest moron on planet earth. I found it insanely offensive. What the hell do I know about Jewish culture? I just wanted a refreshing compliment to my fucking pierogies for crying out loud. The pierogies arrived and were worse than Mrs. T's.

No it's not the Second Avenue Deli. It's Katz's, on Houston & Ludlow.

And, while you're not responsible for having a deep knowledge of Jewish culture, if you go to a special kind of restaurant you're kinda charged with knowing what it is. What response do you think you would get if you asked for sugar in your congee in a congee house?

(We won't even get into how ridiculous it is to order pirogi in a kosher deli.)

(I mean, it's like people who go to Grand Sichuan and order chow mein and complain they can't see what's supposed to be so great about that place.)

Anyway.... are you guys talking about the place on 2nd avenue? Because I went there and ordered pierogies and asked the waitress for sour cream and was laughed at. Not a giggle, actually ridiculed as though I was the biggest moron on planet earth. .
The best dish at Katz's is ham and cheese with extra mayo. And a glass of milk.

No it's not the Second Avenue Deli. It's Katz's, on Houston & Ludlow.

And, while you're not responsible for having a deep knowledge of Jewish culture, if you go to a special kind of restaurant you're kinda charged with knowing what it is. What response do you think you would get if you asked for sugar in your congee in a congee house?
It was a few years ago. The thing is, at that time, I really had no idea that going to a Jewish deli meant I was eating someplace "special". I honestly just thought it was a deli owned by Jews.

Believe it or not, I spent most of my life thinking that Jewish people were exactly like me except that they celebrated different holidays. That's what happens when you're raised agnostic and go to public school.

The lack of Dunkin' Donuts out west is absolutely inhumane.

Anyway.... are you guys talking about the place on 2nd avenue? Because I went there and ordered pierogies and asked the waitress for sour cream and was laughed at. Not a giggle, actually ridiculed as though I was the biggest moron on planet earth. I found it insanely offensive. What the hell do I know about Jewish culture? I just wanted a refreshing compliment to my fucking pierogies for crying out loud. The pierogies arrived and were worse than Mrs. T's.
I do not think Pierogies is a Jewish thing, more of a Polish, Ukraine etc... type of dish. I do not know of too many American or Israeli Jews that eat them.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I spent most of my life thinking that Jewish people were exactly like me except that they celebrated different holidays. That's what happens when you're raised agnostic and go to public school.
Jewish people ARE exactly like you except they celebrate different holidays.

But that doesn't mean they don't have their own ethnic food.

(And some of them have really weird dietary laws.)

Last edited:
(We won't even get into how ridiculous it is to order pirogi in a kosher deli.)

(I mean, it's like people who go to Grand Sichuan and order chow mein and complain they can't see what's supposed to be so great about that place.)
talking about the Great Sechuan, what happened with the place they had in midtown? it closed? I did try to call both of their numbers couple weeks ago and they were disconnected :(

Allen always orders pastrami with swiss cheese and mayo at all the deli's (Carnegie, Sarge's, Katz's, etc). Some actually give it to him.

I know Carnegie was happy to make it for him and he wasn't the slightest bit embarrassed to order it either.

And this is the fucking guy who said he missed a good pastrami sandwich most when he lived in DR. I thought he couldn't get good pastrami down there, with the shit he puts on it what difference does it make. Maybe he meant the Dominicans were too proud to ruin a good piece of meat.