Latest Pastrami News

The pastrami in NY is terrible. These huckster rat-food mongers should be put in a time machine and sent to the gas chambers. NY pastrami is made for niggers and suburban kikes.

The only authentic pastrami is made in Montreal. Go to Schwartz's deli. Then you will know pastrami.
I would, but No. 8 doesn't want to move out of NYC, I imagine I could find some cheap ho to play with my meat up there. I'm sure you could recommend one.

There is supposed to be a Montreal style deli opening up on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn-Cobble Hill-Carroll Gardens Area.
I've tried the Montreal style, and it's nothing like the Pastrami we all know. It's not better or worse, just different.

I suppose Vermeer would know a thing or two about Pastrami, after all he and Miki once grabbed a Knosh at Katz's. He insisted that she pick up the check, she refused. This was the beginning of their love affair.

Fond memories....That was back in the day when I would assfuck your mom, in exchange for some half-sour pickles and a cel-ray.

I've tried the Montreal style, and it's nothing like the Pastrami we all know. It's not better or worse, just different.

I suppose Vermeer would know a thing or two about Pastrami, after all he and Miki once grabbed a Knosh at Katz's. He insisted that she pick up the check, she refused. This was the beginning of their love affair.

I went to Mile End in Brooklyn. It's on Hoyt right off of Atlantic. It's a really good sandwich a little bit spicy especially with the mustard. An excellent sandwich. Different than Katz's or Second Avenue.

Wow. A new contender.
Is the pastrami home cured? Hand cut? Piled on thick?
Served on tea crackers with watercress?
That's a good neighborhood these days, but tell us what it's like.
Or, as Frances McDormand said in Fargo, "Can you be more specific?"

It's a Brooklyn Hipster version of a Montreal deli.

So, like all Brooklyn Hipster restaurants, the ingredients are all sourced from "sustainable" "heritage" sources, and everything than can be made in-house is.

And, since it's a Montreal-style deli, they serve "smoked meat" instead of pastrami. This is sort of a quarter of the way between pastrami and corned beef (I think if it seems like it's more rather than less spicy than pastrami, that's because of the house-made mustard, which is very hot).

The sandwhiches are NOT piled high -- which to me is a GOOD thing, as I think most traditional delis almost disgustingly overserve. OTOH, the sandwiches are almost 50% cheaper than at Katz's.

The BIG problem is that because their approach is so "artisanal", they can't make enough product to keep up with demand. So they run out of meat by about 3 PM every day.

It's a Brooklyn Hipster version of a Montreal deli.

So, like all Brooklyn Hipster restaurants, the ingredients are all sourced from "sustainable" "heritage" sources, and everything than can be made in-house is.

And, since it's a Montreal-style deli, they serve "smoked meat" instead of pastrami. This is sort of a quarter of the way between pastrami and corned beef (I think if it seems like it's more rather than less spicy than pastrami, that's because of the house-made mustard, which is very hot).

The sandwhiches are NOT piled high -- which to me is a GOOD thing, as I think most traditional delis almost disgustingly overserve. OTOH, the sandwiches are almost 50% cheaper than at Katz's.

The BIG problem is that because their approach is so "artisanal", they can't make enough product to keep up with demand. So they run out of meat by about 3 PM every day.
Great description! Thanks.
Running out of product every day is a rave!
Sounds great, I'll try to put it on my schedule.

Last edited:
That's Bouchon Bakery by Thomas Keller (who is only the most famous chef in the entire U.S.).

I don't think that wagyu pastrami is anything very great, BTW (certainly not as good as Mile End's smoked meat). But that's what makes horseracing.

Last edited:
I recently heard David Sax interviewed, the author of "Save the Deli: In Search of Perfect Pastrami, Crusty Rye, and the Heart of Jewish Delicatessen." Basically, he traveled across the U.S. sampling food at deli's all over the country. If I remember correctly, he claims Langer's in L.A. has the best pastrami in America. (I've never been.)

Here's a link to the book on the Barnes & Noble site with a very short excerpt where he talks about working behind the counter at Katz's:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sav...70?ean=9780547386447&itm=4&usri=deli#Excerpts

I recently heard David Sax interviewed, the author of "Save the Deli: In Search of Perfect Pastrami, Crusty Rye, and the Heart of Jewish Delicatessen." Basically, he traveled across the U.S. sampling food at deli's all over the country. If I remember correctly, he claims Langer's in L.A. has the best pastrami in America. (I've never been.)

Here's a link to the book on the Barnes & Noble site with a very short excerpt where he talks about working behind the counter at Katz's:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sav...70?ean=9780547386447&itm=4&usri=deli#Excerpts
Memory is no way to compare two pastrami sandwiches in my opinion and sometimes when you think that you have found your ATF something new comes along which tickles your taste buds just alittle bit better then the last and you think its the best you ever had again.

So, you're saying side-by-side taste-tests are the only legitimate way to compare pastrami sandwiches? Does the same hold true for providers? (Sorry, I just had to bring this up. After all, UG is known as the "meat market" of PMBs.)