Best Steakhouse (Tristate area)

No comparison to Luger, so not sure if it qualifies for the best of the Tri-sate. However, I rarely leave Manhattan, therefore in my world Luger does not exist. In this context Ben &Jacks is good enough for me. (I've read also horrible reviews about the place, so maybe I have been simply lucky.)
I really didn't intend to have my post about Ben and Jack's be interpreted as as a vote for it being the best in the Tri-state area. I have no fucking idea what the best in that area might be or even an opinion on that because there are so many places I have not been (as, I think is the case for all of us). My intent was to report on a visit to a place for whatever it might be worth to anyone. Maybe this is not the thread to do that. If there is a more appropriate one, I apologize for having missed it but am certainly willing to be educated.

The 7 train stops at 103st/Corona Plaza.... a five minute walk to Parkside.

The LIRR (Pt Wash branch) stops at Bayside (Bell Blvd&41ave)... a two minute walk to Jacks.

Don't hurt yourself.
Jack's is very good. Parkside was good a long time ago, but never had a steak there.

But JL's the one always making jokes about going to Queens and it only took him till recently to make it to the boroughs landmark restaurant (Parkside). Hell I busted Benders cherry when I brought him there a few years ago and he grew up a few miles away. It's not like Parkside hasn't been there for decades. Now that he's braved the third world known as Queens maybe he'll trek a little farther from the subway to Tute Bene...... the real Italian secret in Queens (Forest Hills/Metropolitan ave).

And Flushing isn't Queens... it's more like Korea. Notice the Mets don't even want to associate themselves with "Flushing".... after almost 50 years of calling Shea stadium in Flushing their home, they move to a new stadium 50 yards from old Shea and now call the area Corona.

If Queens feels that way about Flushing, that's Queens's problem.

If you think the Parkside is as good an Italian restaurant as the Chinese places in Flushing are as Chinese restaurants, you're out of your mind. I could rattle off 10 or 20 Italian restaurants in Manhattan that could use Parkside to wipe their ass. But the best Chinese places in Flushing are the best in the City.

Last edited:

But the best Chinese places in Flushing are the best in the City.
I could not agree more. Lately I have been hitting a soup dumpling place on Prince Street. No English name that I can tell, just Chinese characters. I am usually the only white person in there so I hear my share of giggles but the dumplings are so good I really don't give a shit.

Get in a car and attempt to drive thru Flushing then get back to me.

If you think the Parkside is as good an Italian restaurant as the Chinese places in Flushing are as Chinese restaurants, you're out of your mind. I could rattle off 10 or 20 Italian restaurants in Manhattan that could use Parkside to wipe their ass. But the best Chinese places in Flushing are the best in the City.
But you can't get good pork buns or dim sum in Flushing. There's one place on Broadway off Queens blvd thats good but they run out early.