Best Steakhouse (Tristate area)

I went to Lugers last night. Has anyone else found it to be much more inconsistent over the past few years. It used to be an absolute home run every time, last night the steak came out warm, not sizzling, and was a bit fatty. I was there two weeks ago and it was perfect.

To JL- Dim Sum before Steak - total decadence.

I went to Lugers last night. Has anyone else found it to be much more inconsistent over the past few years. It used to be an absolute home run every time, last night the steak came out warm, not sizzling, and was a bit fatty. I was there two weeks ago and it was perfect.

I've been going there 25 years, they have become very inconsistent. I can't tell you how many time I sent things back telling them I've eaten at both location for many years.

I don't thing they will be around in 10 years, they are not what they used to be.

I've been eating there for 25 years and they have become very inconsistent in the last 6-8 years. From the quality of the steak, to the size of the shrimp. They like to push a particular wine on some people.

I would go there as a kid with my parents maybe 3 times a month and they were treated as regulars with perhaps a drink or dessert on the house, now, you can forget all of that, you don't even know if your porterhouse for 3 is really a fatty one with barely enough meat for 2.

Yes. And I even think I know why.

Prime beef is a finite object. They can increase supply, but only so much.

How many more steakhouses are there in New York now than there were five years ago? So even with all their connections, Luger's simply can't get as much of the absolute top-quality prime beef as they used to be able to.

They used to always get the best of the best. But now, there isn't enough to go around. So sometimes they get only "ordinary" prime -- not the extraordinary absolute-top-level prime they used to always be able to get.

Lugers will be around not just because of their name... but the resurgence in the Brooklyn waterfront. All the old warehouses being converted into million dollar condo's and lofts will supply more than enough yuppies and pretentious assholes for Lugers future business. Now you can walk to that $100 shitty steak.

My problem with Wolfgang's wasn't the food but the noise level on a Saturday night was horrible. I hope they have mitigated that somehow.
The only way they could mitigate the noise would be to rip out all those gorgeous Guastavino tiles.

And since that's the whole point of that space, I don't see them doing that.

Yes. And I even think I know why.

Prime beef is a finite object. They can increase supply, but only so much.

How many more steakhouses are there in New York now than there were five years ago? So even with all their connections, Luger's simply can't get as much of the absolute top-quality prime beef as they used to be able to.

They used to always get the best of the best. But now, there isn't enough to go around. So sometimes they get only "ordinary" prime -- not the extraordinary absolute-top-level prime they used to always be able to get.
And with competitors offering 64 oz steaks, well, that's practically half a cow right there.

joe's shanghai

I could not agree more. Lately I have been hitting a soup dumpling place on Prince Street. No English name that I can tell, just Chinese characters. I am usually the only white person in there so I hear my share of giggles but the dumplings are so good I really don't give a shit.
on 37 street, near the queens crossing building. food is ok, very load.