Best Steakhouse (Tristate area)

I was at Jacks in May, still had the same quality and selection they've always had, prices weren't noticably higher but they don't have Lugars prices and I never paid much attention anyway. Had my favorite table and Jack Daniels waiting for me on an hours notice. When I had an office in Bayside I ate there or ordered delivery (though they don't deliver) probably two weeks out of the month.

Best bet is go any other night than a weekend unless you cab or train it. If not try parking in the small public lot on 41av/214pl... two blocks from Jacks. It's small, maybe 40-50 cars but they move. Forget looking for parking on the side streets most of those are in for the night. My table is in the main room, first on the left as you pass the bar. Gets loud and hectic on a weekend night, the table is out of the way against the brick wall with a wood divider that kills the sound from the bar so you can talk... but still right there with a view of everything. You want quiet reserve a table in the parlor. Over the years I must have paid 20 grand for that table.

T-Bones about $40, Porterhouse $75 and the Kobe $100. And for the pretentious... they have a $50 Kobe burger thats ground at your table. A littel too touristy for me.

And the one in Bayside is like night and day... much like the two Lugars you have to stick with the original.

Last edited:
Jacks is one of my ATF. I actually prefer eating at the bar. There was a time when this place was cigar friendly (I believe they still have personal cigar lockers in front) and I couldn't quite understand how some people could sit in the back tables and eat with the cigar aroma. Although I enjoy cigars I am always conscience of smoking around people eating.

It's moot now with the new no smoking laws.... but that's why they had the Parlor. They never allowed smoking in there.

I was only at one of the midtown locations when it first opened (Theater district?). It wasn't bad it just isn't the old place though they tried to give it the same look and feel. Selection was a little less than the original, steaks were similar in quality. The one I was at was probably twice the size of the original so they had serving problems, getting things to the table on time. Might just have been them being newly opened and not having their act together. I just never went back there cause the original where they know me was in my backyard.

not the one in Great Neck I hope

a reservation for Lugers on Fri. I wish I could invite everyone.
Brooklyn is the way to go, man I need to make an appointment too. Unce Jacks is also a good choice, always liked their 'American Kobe'. There was a place many years ago on West St had a great authentic Kobe, does any one remember the name?

I recently went to Ben and Jack's on 44th(?) St. My understanding is that is a Luger's spinoff - been around for several years I believe. Very nice place - typical steakhouse menu. I hate when steak comes sliced on a sizzling platter and the waiter takes some and puts in on my plate. I want my steak to be my own to deal with as I like. I asked how the sirloin came and was told sliced on a sizzling platter but the ribeye just came whole on a plate. Why one is one way and one another I can't figure out. I asked if I could have a sirloin whole on a simple plate. The waiter had to go ask if that was possible (that surprised me). The answer was yes and that is how it was served. A perfect medium rare and one of the best steaks I have had in a long time. Also, the homemade potato chips for free on the bar are outstanding.

Oh - I forgot to mention - the hostess had unfucking believable tits and wore a dress that showed very substantial cleavage. So I kept thinking what do I want - steak or tit fuck? I wanted both but was able to try only one.

No comparison to Luger, so not sure if it qualifies for the best of the Tri-sate. However, I rarely leave Manhattan, therefore in my world Luger does not exist. In this context Ben &Jacks is good enough for me. (I've read also horrible reviews about the place, so maybe I have been simply lucky.)

That's what I've been told. But I don't buy that. First you leave Manhattan to dine out, next thing you know, you have moved to the suburbs. Or even worse, in Connecticut.