2022 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should be embarrassed! Something not right in that clubhouse, me thinks its the manager. The fish stinks from the head. I think the players lost respect for Boone because he is cashmans puppet constantly. Always politically correct, sometimes shock value has its worth.

Why defend Donaldson and IKF but throw Bader under the bus?
IDK anymore, and don't get me started on Cole. He is no Andy, CC, or Cone.
Even if Yanks had Andy,CC,and Cone pitching they still would have no offense and still would have hit. .128 in the series...they deserve to lose. Can't win if you don't hit.

This will likely be my last post in this thread. I want to thank everyone for their contributions. I will engage when the 22-23 Yankee hot stove thread becomes available.

My final thoughts on the 2022 season.

The Yankees were a much improved team this season carried by Judge’s MVP season, good defense, and solid starting pitching. They shed Gary Sanchez and wildly improved the catching position with the trade for Trevino. Obviously the loss of Shane Green and Michael King was a huge blow to the bullpen, however seeing Jonathan Loaisiga this post season reinforces my position that he should be the closer next year barring injury.

I do believe that their 99-63 record is enhanced due to playing many awful American league teams. Just look up their record against good teams. Additionally, their lack of depth and moves made at the trade deadline served to derail that phenomenal start. They gave up some really nice prospects and got nothing in return.

On a positive note, we acquired a dynamic CF in Bader and have two prospects that most likely will be starters on opening day. I‘m optimistic that we will have a better team on Opening day assuming we sign Judge. We also have three tremendous starting pitchers and will be shedding 30 million in contracts from Chapman and Britton.

Josh Donaldson struck out 148 times in 132 games and had a lower slugging percentage than Jose Trevino. Maybe he should work with the team that resurrected Matt Carpenter. He’s the only player I badly want off the team next season. I wouldn’t mind trading Stanton eother, but only if Judge walks.

EB

It would have been nice if Yanks showed up.
A historic start to the season, to an embarrassing flop at the end. Should be a very interesting off season. Judge showed how clutch he is. Does Cashman stay? Boone?

billyS

Reign of Terror
Judge - .063 vs Houston, .139 for the 2022 post season, .211 career post season.

He is going to be 31 next year and shot his wod, had his career year this year.

Do you really want to give this guy 400 million?

The problem is the front office sucks so bad I don't trust them to rebuild on the fly.

billyS

Reign of Terror
It would have been nice if Yanks showed up.
A historic start to the season, to an embarrassing flop at the end. Should be a very interesting off season. Judge showed how clutch he is. Does Cashman stay? Boone?
Historic start was all smoke and mirrors, if you were paying attention none of the hard core Yankees fans in this thread were buying into it. At best, myself being an optimist was telling everyone to just enjoy it while it lasted.

The flop was in August but they had enough guts to turn it around and win their division. They didn't "hit a wall" and collapse.

They beat the team they were supposed to, Cleveland in the playoffs but then just lost to the superior team. No one thought they'd beat Houston.
Would it had been different with DJ and Benitendi? Maybe they steal a game or two but the result would have been the same.

I doubt Boone goes because he just signed a new deal last year. But if Cashman gets fired then maybe they give the new GM his choice of manager.

BIlly got it right. I had thought the Yankees would win 103 games. I didn't think they were going to win 120 games but I also didn't think they would suck so hard in August.

I never thought they would get past Houston and that infuriates me.

Boone is awful but Cashman won't fire him because he does as he is told.

Hal SHOULD fire Cashman but he won't.

This was certainly Judge's career year. It would be just about anybody's career year. It should not be forgotten that this guy is often injured and he has more often than not been bad in the playoffs. Someone will give him $350 to $400 million. It should not be the Yankees.

There is no heart or guts on this team.

Time for a heart transplant

Get rid of or don't sign:
Judge - unless you can sign him for a reasonable contract which I can't imagine being possible
Donaldson
IKF
Chapman
Rizzo - if he opts out
Torres - if you can get a good return - he is a mental case
Taillon
Hicks
Marwin Gonzalez

This team's pitching I think is good enough. But if we can get an ace quality starter that would be ideal:
Cole, Cortez, Severino, trade for or sign an ace quality type pitcher, battle for 5th spot
See if we can find a closer
GIve Peraza a shot at SS
DJ at 2nd or 3B or 1B full time
Find a spot for Cabrera
Maybe give Volpe a shot.
Need a run producing outfielder if we lose Judge.
Benintendi woudl be a nice piece if he can be had reasonably.

Judge - .063 vs Houston, .139 for the 2022 post season, .211 career post season.

He is going to be 31 next year and shot his wod, had his career year this year.

Do you really want to give this guy 400 million?

The problem is the front office sucks so bad I don't trust them to rebuild on the fly.
I think he starts at 8 years 40 millions a year, and then the teams will bid against each other.
Problem for the Yankees is if you give him that kind of loot, what will the team look like in 5 years with Cole, Stanton, and Judge all now in their mid to late 30's making a combined 100 million plus on the payroll. How can they be competitive?

The Stanton trade and the Cole contract are a bad optic. They basically bid against themselves for Cole, should have known more about the sticky stuff before you give out a contract like that. I don't have time to find it, but I wrote back a few years ago I would have rather had Wheeler over Cole. I think he got 90 million and I am going to guess his numbers are pretty close or better than Cole's since they both signed that year.

I don't have the time to compare them, but it would be cool to see.

Cashman has had too many oopsies and is the reason for their continuing quagmire type offense and playoff ousters.

Hal needs to man up, but we know he won't. He all about the $$$$, not about the fans or the team.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I wrote back a few years ago I would have rather had Wheeler over Cole. I think he got 90 million and I am going to guess his numbers are pretty close or better than Cole's since they both signed that year.

I don't have the time to compare them, but it would be cool to see.
W/L ERA IP K's since 2020
Note DH was used in NL two out of these three years.

Wheeler
30-19 2.82 437 463
Cole
36-19 3.28 456 594

Unfortunately we are stuck with Donaldson for at least another year. We have a buyout in 24.
As much as it sucks, it's what Cashman had to do to get rid of Sanchez. I'd still make that move.
I'd be surprised if IKF is back. I think it's going to the kid.

I'd be surprised if judge comes back. I don't want to be stuck with him when he sucks just like Donaldson.

His playoffs sucked, great players rise to the Occasion.
He disappeared.

I’d rather they sign Benintendi.
He'd be a lot cheaper too.

BIlly got it right. I had thought the Yankees would win 103 games. I didn't think they were going to win 120 games but I also didn't think they would suck so hard in August.

This was certainly Judge's career year. It would be just about anybody's career year. It should not be forgotten that this guy is often injured and he has more often than not been bad in the playoffs. Someone will give him $350 to $400 million. It should not be the Yankees.

Judge - unless you can sign him for a reasonable contract which I can't imagine being possible
Donaldson
IKF
Chapman
Rizzo - if he opts out
Taillon
Hicks
Marwin Gonzalez

This team's pitching I think is good enough. But if we can get an ace quality starter that would be ideal:
Cole, Cortez, Severino, trade for or sign an ace quality type pitcher, battle for 5th spot
GIve Peraza a shot at SS
Find a spot for Cabrera
Maybe give Volpe a shot.
You did say 103 wins. You were close. If they are able to get an ace, there pitching will be really good going into next season. Then they got to fix the rest

W/L ERA IP K's since 2020
Note DH was used in NL two out of these three years.

Wheeler
30-19 2.82 437 463
Cole
36-19 3.28 456 594
So if the money figures in, as it has to, wheeler is the guy. However, the Yanks at the time, really needed an ace at any cost. Money aside, I take Cole, he was more of a sure thing .

billyS

Reign of Terror

Donaldson
IKF
Chapman
Rizzo - if he opts out
Taillon
Hicks
Marwin Gonzalez

GIve Peraza a shot at SS
Find a spot for Cabrera
Maybe give Volpe a shot.
Tallion is a free agent and someone else desperate for starting pitching easily gives him three or four years at $15 mil+.
Gonzalez gets released, no way you waste a 40 man roster spot on him.
Maybe Torres can bring back a quality starter from Miami.
Definitely go into spring training with Peralza as your SS. He might start off slow with the bat but he'll adjust and hit.
Chapman is a FA so we are finally done with him.
Brittian might come back on a team friendly contract.
Hicks has got to go, I don't see a spot for IkF but I don't see them giving him away.
Would love if the Yankees had the same guts with Donaldson as the Mets did with Cano.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Best part of last night's game was the woman behind home plate in the tube top! Anyone else see her?
I honestly saw about three innings of this Series. Didn't want to torture myself.
Missed games 1 and 4 entirely.
Saw the first inning on Saturday, and the inning where Sevy gave up the three run homer and the top of the 8th in the same game.

I honestly saw about three innings of this Series. Didn't want to torture myself.
Missed games 1 and 4 entirely.
Saw the first inning on Saturday, and the inning where Sevy gave up the three run homer and the top of the 8th in the same game.
I don't blame you. I watched it all...and tortured myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.