2022 MLB news, topics not involving NY teams or not NY teams 2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and he was his cousin!
At least it was everyone who got it wrong on that guy. I remember Baseball America had him on the cover one year as the next big superstar.
Baseball America also had Greg Jeffries in the Hall of Fame after one week on the Mets and they one had Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain the top 2 prospects in all of Baseball. Not sure if another team ever had the top 2. They did have good stuff though. I did think Hughes was going to be really good.

Why though? I didn’t want him but what does being a horrible broadcaster have anything to do with being a manager?many people thought he would make a great manager. Many teams thought that. Again, I wasn’t so happy when the y hired him though.
His ability to effectively communicate during the broadcast was clear. I would assume that his interview would not have been much better. That's just my take.

Baseball America also had Greg Jeffries in the Hall of Fame after one week on the Mets and they one had Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain the top 2 prospects in all of Baseball. Not sure if another team ever had the top 2. They did have good stuff though. I did think Hughes was going to be really good.
Phil and Joba, another 2 players they fucked up.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I think Jeffries was even on the cover of SI before he even made the majors. The veterans like Strawberry and Hernandez hated him.
But all that out too much pressure on him.

Another Schilling note .... In December 2003 the Yankees were choosing between trading for Schilling or Javier Vazquez. Supposedly we could have gotten Schilling for a package featuring Nick Johnson. Instead we traded Nick Johnson, Juan Rivera and Randy Choate for Javier Vazquez. Yes Vazquez was much younger but boy did this turn out to be one of Cashman's worst decisions. Vazquez was one of those guys that just couldn't handle NY. To make matters worse, Cashman went out and got Vazquez a second time!!! Resulting in a 5.32 era. If they had gotten Schilling instead of Vazquez - we probably win that 2004 series against Boston.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Another Schilling note .... In December 2003 the Yankees were choosing between trading for Schilling or Javier Vazquez. Supposedly we could have gotten Schilling for a package featuring Nick Johnson. Instead we traded Nick Johnson, Juan Rivera and Randy Choate for Javier Vazquez. Yes Vazquez was much younger but boy did this turn out to be one of Cashman's worst decisions. Vazquez was one of those guys that just couldn't handle NY. To make matters worse, Cashman went out and got Vazquez a second time!!! Resulting in a 5.32 era. If they had gotten Schilling instead of Vazquez - we probably win that 2004 series against Boston.
You're leaving out the part that Alphonso Soriano was also part of the demand for Schilling.
As I remember it DBacks said the package would have to START with Johnson and Soriano.

I think Jeffries was even on the cover of SI before he even made the majors. The veterans like Strawberry and Hernandez hated him.
But all that out too much pressure on him.
Yea, I agree. I do think though , if the Mets had a good core, of good leaders, Jefferies would have been pretty good. He led the league in doubles one year, but I forget if it was on the Mets or the Phillies.

You're leaving out the part that Alphonso Soriano was also part of the demand for Schilling.
As I remember it DBacks said the package would have to START with Johnson and Soriano.
that part I did not know .... interesting .... if they actually did make that trade and got Schilling for Johnson and Soriano then we may not have gotten A-Rod - who we actually traded Soriano for in that same off-season. That was a big tipping point in Yankee history. I say we win in 2004 but do we win in 2009 with Schilling and no A-Rod? Schilling was good in 2004, bad in 2005, good in 2006 and looks like he was hurt but good in 2007. It would have been tough to trade a stud in Soriano for a 37 year old Schilling. The package that Boston sent for Schilling didn't look that impressive. None of those players turned out to be any good. Soriano was already a stud with 3 very good years behind him. I wonder what would have happened.

billyS

Reign of Terror
that part I did not know .... interesting .... if they actually did make that trade and got Schilling for Johnson and Soriano then we may not have gotten A-Rod - who we actually traded Soriano for in that same off-season. That was a big tipping point in Yankee history. I say we win in 2004 but do we win in 2009 with Schilling and no A-Rod? Schilling was good in 2004, bad in 2005, good in 2006 and looks like he was hurt but good in 2007. It would have been tough to trade a stud in Soriano for a 37 year old Schilling. The package that Boston sent for Schilling didn't look that impressive. None of those players turned out to be any good. Soriano was already a stud with 3 very good years behind him. I wonder what would have happened.
If you go back and look at all Schilling's transactions he was involved in some interesting trades.
As a prospect he was traded twice, once by the Red Sox, once by Baltimore.
And going to the Phillies he was traded even up for Ross Grimsly!

billyS

Reign of Terror
The Reds are terrible and now the owners are pretty much admitted they are tanking because they are unhappy with the CBA. They were one of the small market teams pushing for the lower ceiling on the Luxury Tax.
They basically want the same set up as the NFL.
He actually threatened to move the team from Cincinnati! Yeah after the tax payers built them that stadium.

Oakland has proven they can compete with a small budget but now they are leveraging for a new stadium so they had a fire sale to make it look like they can't afford good players without a better stadium.

Miami is a lost cause, they aren't trying, that's why Jeter left.

D

Deleted member 128262

Yes in 1996.
It was in Oakland. The brought in Mo to finish the last two ininngs.

I was also thinking about Johan Santana.
Mets let him throw about 160 pitches because they had never had a no- hitter.
He was never the same.
Terry Collins was so conflicted by the move as well. Knew he was dealing with history but at the same time, knew it could effect Johan.

Status
Not open for further replies.