2022 MLB news, topics not involving NY teams or not NY teams 2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Yes, I looked probably 10 days ago and Wade was hitting like 290 with a few stolen bases. Wade grew on me, I liked his versatility and speed. He had a quick bat, not sure why it never clicked. Velasquez is a grinder type a good 26th man on the bench.

Voit out with a bicep injury, never good if your a power hitter.
Sanchez out with an abdominal strain
Frazier out with an appendicitis
I always thought Wade's stance was fucked up, too complicated so he never hit over .200 except in spring training. Great athlete I was always rooting for him.

So this is the right place for this comment, MLB has to do something to speed up the game. I've been watching a ton of basketball this season and the timing and pace of the game is absolutely perfect. Games are usually completed in 2 1/2 hours with 15 minutes for halftime. Now you could complain how much the game has changed, lack of defense, selfish play, lack of ball movement and be turned off by the game. I respect that. But the talent and athleticism is at an all time high and the playoff teams are all competitive. The Memphis/Minnesota series has been intense and Dallas and New Orleans are on the cusp of major upsets.

pokler

Power Bottom
So this is the right place for this comment, MLB has to do something to speed up the game. I've been watching a ton of basketball this season and the timing and pace of the game is absolutely perfect. Games are usually completed in 2 1/2 hours with 15 minutes for halftime. Now you could complain how much the game has changed, lack of defense, selfish play, lack of ball movement and be turned off by the game. I respect that. But the talent and athleticism is at an all time high and the playoff teams are all competitive. The Memphis/Minnesota series has been intense and Dallas and New Orleans are on the cusp of major upsets.
Baseball is far more strategic almost in the same vein as a chess match. That's the beauty of it and it's gonna a slower game by its very nature.

billyS

Reign of Terror
If in fact Cano's career is over, let's just look at his stats compared to another 2b not in the HOF, Jeff Kent

The lines will be HR, RBI, ba/on/slugging ops

Cano 335 1305 .302/.352/.490 .842
Kent 377 1518 .290/.356/.500 .855

Misl.
Kent 1 MVP 4 Silver Slugger 0 Gold gloves 5x All Star
Cano 0 MVP 5 silver slugger 3 gold gloves 8x All-star.

So even without the PED suspension Cano probably doesn't make the HoF if Kent can't get in.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Of course I remember Bush. Was a spark plug off the bench, think we got him from the padres?
You knew when he was coming in he was going to try and steal a base, loved that drama!
April 22, 1997: Traded by the San Diego Padres with players to be named later and Gordie Amerson (minors) to the New York Yankees for Rafael Medina, Ruben Rivera and $3,000,000. The San Diego Padres sent Hideki Irabu (May 29, 1997) and Vernon Maxwell (minors) (June 9, 1997) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

Good memory! Some interesting names in that trade.

That reminds me of a famous footnote to that trade. The Phillies asked for that same package for Curt Schilling but George had his heart set on "The Japanese Nolan Ryan".
True story.
Later that year Schilling pitched a gem against the Yanks for the Phillies, might have even of matched up with Irabu.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I'm Curious if that's the reason he always hated the Yankees.

He seemed to pitch his best games against us.
Actually he's full of shit about hating the Yankees.
When the Dbacks started going into rebuild a few years after winning the WS he wanted out. Guess where he really wanted to come?
Yeah, he wanted to come back to the east coast, either Yanks or Phillies.

But the President of the DBacks at the time didn't like George and played hard ball with a trade.
The Red Sox actually flew out there over Thanksgiving and convinced him to accept a trade to Boston with the idea he could be a hero if he played a role in defeating the Yanks, which is what wound up happening.

April 22, 1997: Traded by the San Diego Padres with players to be named later and Gordie Amerson (minors) to the New York Yankees for Rafael Medina, Ruben Rivera and $3,000,000. The San Diego Padres sent Hideki Irabu (May 29, 1997) and Vernon Maxwell (minors) (June 9, 1997) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

Good memory! Some interesting names in that trade.

That reminds me of a famous footnote to that trade. The Phillies asked for that same package for Curt Schilling but George had his heart set on "The Japanese Nolan Ryan".
True story.
Later that year Schilling pitched a gem against the Yanks for the Phillies, might have even of matched up with Irabu.
Ruben Rivera, another can't miss / can't touch prospect we squeeze-fucked until there was nothing left. Was he the one who stole Mariano's glove??

billyS

Reign of Terror
Ruben Rivera, another can't miss / can't touch prospect we squeeze-fucked until there was nothing left. Was he the one who stole Mariano's glove??
Yeah and he was his cousin!
At least it was everyone who got it wrong on that guy. I remember Baseball America had him on the cover one year as the next big superstar.

billyS

Reign of Terror
True story.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI199709010.shtml

Schilling went 8 innings 16 Ks.
The Fat Toad only lasted three.
Got Jeter 4x

It’s astonishing that the Mets hired him as their manager.
Why though? I didn’t want him but what does being a horrible broadcaster have anything to do with being a manager?many people thought he would make a great manager. Many teams thought that. Again, I wasn’t so happy when the y hired him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.