2021 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these close games/wins builds grit and character. Not being worried or intimidated in close games goes a long way in the playoffs when the games are usually tighter. This could be a positive thing for this crew.

I don't want to see Jonathon Davis in the game taking ANY at bats anymore. He is hot garbage at the plate.

Luis Gil is cementing himself as a rotation piece. The young man has incredible poise, good mechanics, a live fastball, and insane movement on his breaking pitches. Through just under 16 innings, he has yet to give up an earned run. The first pitcher in MLB history to do this in his first three starts.

Probably four in five innings. This will most likely be his last start in pinstripes now that Cole and Monty are back. Gil, Taillon and Cortes make up the remaining starters. Just release him when other pitchers on IL become available.

Gil has been incredible! WHoever gets back first - Kluber or German - the Heninous Heaney has to go. NOT to the bullpen - released. Then you haev some tough choices to make ... I like Kluber and German ... but can you take out Cortes???? He has done nothing but be effective. Lots of tough calls to be made soon.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I'm not sure Kluber is really coming back. He's been getting knocked around in the minors.

It's a shame because he was pitching so we'll when he went down.

FWIW

Cole, Monty, Taillon, German, Cortes would be my starting 5

Gil to the pen with his live arm, help lengthen that pen. It's been used A LOT last month

IF Kluber comes back, he could piggy back off Cortes if need be. Also could work him out of the pen. Good depth to have moving forward.

billyS

Reign of Terror
FWIW

Gil to the pen with his live arm, help lengthen that pen. It's been used A LOT last month

IF Kluber comes back, he could piggy back off Cortes if need be. Also could work him out of the pen. Good depth to have moving forward.
I think it would work the other way around, Kluber starting and Cortez piggybacking.

I don't think Kluber is going to work out of the bullpen at this stage of his career.

I think it would work the other way around, Kluber starting and Cortez piggybacking.

I don't think Kluber is going to work out of the bullpen at this stage of his career.
It could go either way, my preference would be to start Cortes, simply because he has earned it and seems to be a touch better starting than relieving.
Kluber should be open to working as anything that is asked and needed of him at this point in his career, considering all the injuries and money he has made for not being able to stay healthy.

Not sure if anyone saw that Toronto released that reliever Raphael Dolis. His numbers look bad, but I thought he has filthy stuff. He was always tough on the Yankees. I would take a flier and maybe you catch some lightning and can lessen some stress on a heavy used bullpen.
Plus he plays for a division rival, he may have some inside info on how to pitch to some of those tough bats in their lineup.

FWIW

No way I’m starting Cortes over Gil. We will probably need both as I have concerns about Taillon and his total innings pitched. I have a feeling that we won’t see German and if/when we do it most likely will be in September.

What a douchebag move saying what he did to the press. I get that he’s frustrated, but he made a fool of himself.
The things he said were pretty selfish. Shut your fucking mouth and don't mess with the good karma thats building. EVERYONE is contributing, it's not about only you. "I've done great things for this organization" wtf bro, you had a good half a season in 2020. You have been hurt just as much as you've played. Fucking delusional, like he's the next coming of Donnie Baseball.

Be ready when called upon and do your job. Pretty simple. Its the cumulative 26, not the 1.

No way I’m starting Cortes over Gil. We will probably need both as I have concerns about Taillon and his total innings pitched. I have a feeling that we won’t see German and if/when we do it most likely will be in September.
I like 2 lefties in the rotation, we have 3 in the pen already.

Gil has such a live arm, for an inning or two he could be lights out in tight games. Think back to young Mariano in '96, he pitched to the heart of the opposing teams orders usually, while Wetteland ( I throw up in my mouth typing his name) finished up the weaker parts of the lineups.

German threw a sim game today, so he could be back soon. I thought he might be done too.

I agree with you on Taillon, he is getting close too the amount of innings he's pitched COMBINED the last few years.

Show some love for Heaney who was brilliant after giving up the home run in the first. Seven solid innings holding Boston to two hits. Britton pitched a sharp eighth inning.Chapman was brutal, fastballs flying five feet off the plate. Good thing he wasn’t facing left handed batters who would have decapitated by the wildness.

Status
Not open for further replies.