2021 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, Cashman looks like a genius with the Kluber signing. Damn, he we sharp. I was thinking no hitter in the fourth because his curve/slider were so good and the silly thought it would be against the team that traded for him, came to mind.

Not to be lost in the win, Tyler Wade's triple was enormous. His defense in right field was solid as well. He's proving that he belongs here.

Kluber was sharp and his slider had a lot of movement, but......He had A ton of hard hit balls RIGHT at players from the 6th inning on. There were a few really solid plays that helped along the way, could have gone either way.

Lost in all this was the lack of hitting yet again and by the 4th inning the outfield was Andujar, Gardner, and Wade (Left to right)

Time to make some moves, can't keep all these prospects. We need a true CF, SS, and C -Ironic because Yankee tradition or winning teams were ALWAYS strong up the middle at these positions. Higgy is not the catcher of the future and Sanchez is a slug. Forget Hicks, he is a flop.
Give Urshela a shot at SS, move Torres to 2B, and DJ to 3B - Sign Seagar to play SS next year.

Catcher and CF HAVE to be addressed ASAP.

It's May and we have 6 no hitters already. Something is wrong.
This season is already drawing comparisons to The Year of The Pitcher (1968), and for good reason. The number of strikeouts is the highest its ever been and the BA is an all time low.

Last year I'd chalk up to Covid and the hitters not having the full preseason to get up to game speed. There's no excuse for hitters this season. The strike zone is fair and generally evenly enforced.

This is the continuation of a trend driven by advanced metrics which has benefited pitchers more than hitters. I'm sure MLB is already conjuring up changes they'll want to make for next year to address these issues, and in typical Mandfred fashion, they will be stupid changes.

billyS

Reign of Terror
This season is already drawing comparisons to The Year of The Pitcher (1968), and for good reason. The number of strikeouts is the highest its ever been and the BA is an all time low.

Last year I'd chalk up to Covid and the hitters not having the full preseason to get up to game speed. There's no excuse for hitters this season. The strike zone is fair and generally evenly enforced.

This is the continuation of a trend driven by advanced metrics which has benefited pitchers more than hitters. I'm sure MLB is already conjuring up changes they'll want to make for next year to address these issues, and in typical Mandfred fashion, they will be stupid changes.
I think the shifts have a lot to do with it too.
At one time teams only shifted on the really good hitters, turn guys like Jason Giambi ands David Ortiz from .300 hitters into .250 hitter, taking away all their singles.
Now they shift on everyone because advanced metrics makes it possible.

You see so many hard hit balls hit directly at a fielder. So many lefty batters get thrown out from short right field.

Of course guys over swinging has something to do with it also.
Mark Texiera was also in that Giambi/Ortiz catagory of a guy who's average dropped because of the shift. His response was that he was going to hit it over the shift.
Good for him but not everyone should be doing that.

One reason I like Urshela and Torres hitting 4/5 is because when Torres is being himself they are both more likely to drive in runs because the can get singles or doubles by making contact.

I'm glad Odor and Wade are in the line up. Wade has been good the past few weeks and Odor may be motivated to slash against his former team. I really like the guy as a fifth infielder. If they would only stop hitting into some many damn double plays.

To add, Judge gets a day off from being a DH the past two nights. I don't get it.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I'm glad Odor and Wade are in the line up. Wade has been good the past few weeks and Odor may be motivated to slash against his former team. I really like the guy as a fifth infielder. If they would only stop hitting into some many damn double plays.

To add, Judge gets a day off from being a DH the past two nights. I don't get it.
They must know something we don't.
But you have to admit when he comes back from these days off he takes.
Hitting close to .500 since the last one.

Wade really gets a great jump on the ball and he has the speed to close. I'd like to see him in center to give Gardy a break.

Now you're being ridiculous. I am done.
Major league managers can go bad or maybe they are just not good. They make mistakes. To think someone who has watched baseball for 50 years can't recognize managerial mistakes is just being argumentative. I did not say I know more than Aaron Boone. Nor did I say should be manager of the Yankees - I said Boone makes mistakes. Christ Billy - give it a rest. Now I am done.

There is serious consideration to moving the mound back a foot.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Major league managers can go bad or maybe they are just not good. They make mistakes. To think someone who has watched baseball for 50 years can't recognize managerial mistakes is just being argumentative. I did not say I know more than Aaron Boone. Nor did I say should be manager of the Yankees - I said Boone makes mistakes. Christ Billy - give it a rest. Now I am done.
Oh come on, don't be a baby.
This thread is just like a couple of guys sitting around a bar arguing about sports.
We bust each other's chops.
Honestly you give this thread character.

Your posts are always welcome.
I probably won't agree with most of them, but no need to stop posting.

LiSteve I am frustrated too. I say I am not gonna watch yada yada but I am like a baseball and especially a Yankee junkie.i watch every game lol. Like billyS said it's like we are just hanging out having a cold one talking sports. We all have our own opinions about stuff and if we disagree we disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.