2021 New York Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I‘m more convinced than ever that the ball has been radically manipulated giving pitchers the ability produce increased spin. A perfect example of this may be Chapman’s 18 innings without giving up a run. (albeit he was lucky yesterday) Additionally, three straight shutouts thrown by the Yankees. There are many more, too numerous to mention.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I thought Kay explained it well, he was going on contact. Anderson made a nice play and a good throw.
We see this all the time.
That said, for his speed I don't think Wade is a good base runner.
I can see why they used Tachman as the first option when he was here.
Considering his skill set, Wade should be a much better bunter and base runner.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I‘m more convinced than ever that the ball has been radically manipulated giving pitchers the ability produce increased spin. A perfect example of this may be Chapman’s 18 innings without giving up a run. (albeit he was lucky yesterday) Additionally, three straight shutouts thrown by the Yankees. There are many more, too numerous to mention.
I agree about the ball.
I've noticed more strikeouts seem to be on pitches that move out of the strike zone than guys blowing fastballs by people.
Look at all this K's last night on pitches in the dirt.

I thought Kay explained it well, he was going on contact. Anderson made a nice play and a good throw.
We see this all the time.
Yes but he has to be aware of where the play is. He didn't have to go, he was out by a mile with Judge and Voit coming up. Bad play in my opinion.

So 6 runs scored in 3 games...and they won them all. Yanks pitching had to be damn near perfect for them to win because they don't score.

I agree about the ball.
I've noticed more strikeouts seem to be on pitches that move out of the strike zone than guys blowing fastballs by people.
Look at all this K's last night on pitches in the dirt.
It's as if Chapman knows that he has an edge over the batter. He also looks at his finger quite often.

Something is definitely up.

Yes but he has to be aware of where the play is. He didn't have to go, he was out by a mile with Judge and Voit coming up. Bad play in my opinion.
He is off at the crack of the bat and there is no stopping him. That's how it works.

The only option was to cause a run down so that Gardy could have possibly gotten to third. He could also have been doubled up. That's baseball.

So 6 runs scored in 3 games...and they won them all. Yanks pitching had to be damn near perfect for them to win because they don't score.
That's ok - they have one of the top rotations in baseball with an equally good bullpen. They are winning, that is all that counts. Stanton will be back next week. Judge has been a monster, both offensively and defensively. Gio continues to play like an all star. Torres is starting to look like his old self. Andujar is slowly coming around. The only issue is finding a CF without calling up Florial too soon. I'm not sure what they even have to offer other than low level prospects for a trade prospect. Also, they may be assuming that Jasson Dominguez will be ready by 2023.

But you have to be happy being a Yankee fan today.

some notes after todays win:

bullpen still ranks 3rd in ERA, 1st in .BAA and 1st in WHIP. We knew chapmans streak wasn't going to last (still would have been nice to get taillon the W on the record tho). I think we all know Hicks isn't the answer, and the offense as a whole is just disgusting. Besides wader (.300 avg in 30 AB) Aaron Judge is the only other yankee hitting above .300, and we know he'll regress and fall more in line with his career .BA of .275 (id say around .288 or so). LeMachine batting .260 seems like an anomoly and even with his "big day" frazier is still batting under .200, along with sanchez, odor, andujar and voit, with gardner batting .208.

I dont have high hopes for the offense in terms of raw power - before start of todays games Yankees only scored 5 more runs than baltimore, and boston red sox had a 59 run advantage in terms of runs scored. my hopes is that yankees keep playing small ball...loved the base stealing, and honestly, more exhilarating and fun to watch as well.

all in all, 5 straight starts of dominant pitching...lets keep the train rolling tuesday. LGY!

This past February it was announced that MLB would be making some changes to the baseball in response to the historic 2019 season that set the record for home runs. Having the ball with slightly raised/more gribbable seams appears to be a key factor in the pitchers gripe of the ball and their ability to make it move as they want.

Pitchers are more aware than ever about the impact and importance of spin rate and have made great strides to increase it with all of their pitches. Doesn't hurt that there seems to be wide use of foreign substances among pitchers as well with no enforcement from MLB.

Would love to see Cole get a No-No this season.

billyS

Reign of Terror
So the White Sox came into the series with the best record in the AL, we sweep them and now three teams in the AL have a better record.

I haven't seen the Red Sox yet but I think their record has been built on playing lesser teams and a hot start by some of their hitters.
On paper their pitching doesn't seem that deep.

Tampa made a surprise trade for a bullpen arms, one of them, Feyereisen, was a Yankee farm hand, came over in the Miller/Frazier deal. Just wondering if they wanted to dump Adames who struck out too much?
I don't think Tampa can keep up over a whole 162 game season without getting legit innings from starters.

I still think Toronto is going to give us the hardest time. That lineup is tough.

Boston cant hit, so it will be interesting to see our pitching against their hitting.

I believe the Rays wanted to bring up a prospect by the name of Taylor Walls and have him take over for Adames spot on roster. They also have Wendle who can play the position.

Tampa has won 10 in a row and I guess you can never count them out. They always seem to find a way.

I have never been on the White Sox wagon, although they represented a good test for the Yanks, I never picked them in that division. I had Cleveland and Minnesota (who suck).

billyS

Reign of Terror
I hate playing teams on a losing streak.
Toronto comes in here tonight after being swept by the Rays.

Law of averages say they take at least a game from the Yankees. Just a statistical probability.
Of course if the Yankees do loose one of these games I'm sure @LISteve will let us know the real reason.

I still think Toronto is going to give us the hardest time. That lineup is tough.
Outside of Ryu, their starting pitching is not that good. They have a prospect starting this evening. Matz and Ray have been ok, but barring injuries I'd guess that the Yankees will be a minimum of 10 games ahead of them in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.